Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Richmond

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
What are your expectations though? When you are up and in the top 8 every year, and top 6 almost every year, If we can finish top 4 with our best 22 healthy, we are just as good a shot as any other team.
That’s true through our entire history.

We should have won more flags in the 90’s

We should have won more flags in 00’s

We should win more with this group

Imagine being St Kilda who won their first 19 games in 2009 and went into the GF with a 22-2 record for the year, won 3 out of 4 quarters and didn’t win the flag.

Imagine being Fremantle who in their only grand final are the only team to be rated by CD as the better team and to have lost the GF?

Imagine being Sydney who should have won 3 flags in the 2010’s but only won 1.

We’ve done very well, both over the course of the clubs history and in the era.

You can’t hang your head about the ones that get away.

And there is still a lot to play out this season. We’ve won 8 out of last 9.

Race for this years flag is still very much on.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
For sure, I’m not moping about it, and definitely 100% grateful to not support perennial losers like St K and Freo

Dec 7, 2000
Victoria home of football
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles
Thanks mate, I appreciate that. No need for a Patreon or anything of the sort (yet ;)), just hoping that we can offer a decent alternative to listening to the Channel Seven blokes want themselves silly over Dusty getting on the end of the easiest goal in the world.

Was a really good stream. Hope you keep going with it (and the AFL don't slap you with some rights infringement BS because you didn't pay them for the rights).

Initially there was a good 20 second delay between the stream and CH7, but then I got the genius idea to just switch to Kayo and control the delay. Turns out you guys were giving that advice to listeners all along :straining:

My only feedback is to get a 3rd guy into your team. The networks/radio stations have it spot on with the 2 commentators feeding off each other and a 3rd for special comments (need someone to egg you on when you lost your s**t at the umps or flogs like Dusty).

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
My only feedback is to get a 3rd guy into your team. The networks/radio stations have it spot on with the 2 commentators feeding off each other and a 3rd for special comments (need someone to egg you on when you lost your sh*t at the umps or flogs like Dusty).

Good idea. Or a stats man - someone to pipe in and say rando sh*t like "Kennedy's usually good for 4 goals vs this side in recent years".

We just don't know hot to counter Richmonds dirty knock the ball forward, hack kick it, chaos ball, creat a contest, get a free gimme free kick gamestyle.

I thought we might've learned something, like everyone else in the comp having watched Richmond play since 2017, but evidently not.

Or we've learnt how to do it, but not how to put it into practice yet? Doubtful. Who knows.

This same Richmond team routinely thumps Brisbane playing on their on home Gabba deck, so it's not like we're the only team who hasn't worked it out yet.

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
We just don't know hot to counter Richmonds dirty knock the ball forward, hack kick it, chaos ball, creat a contest, get a free gimme free kick gamestyle.

I thought we might've learned something, like everyone else in the comp having watched Richmond play since 2017, but evidently not.

Or we've learnt how to do it, but not how to put it into practice yet? Doubtful. Who knows.

This same Richmond team routinely thumps Brisbane playing on their on home Gabba deck, so it's not like we're the only team who hasn't worked it out yet.

Lions play the Tigers well, they just can't kick goals to finish the work

Nuke Fremantle

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2007
Dullsville
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Just mulling over last night it seemed to perfect storm of factors against us;

• Not having our accommodation sorted until a few days before the game
  • Travelling on a 4 day break
  • A seriously in form opponent
  • 5 players in the 22 with less than dozen games experience
  • Only playing in bursts the last few weeks
  • A growing injury list
  • Losing our no.1 forward target very early
  • Oppo getting the rub of the green from the umpires
All that considered it's probably a positive that we were still in the game at 3QT. We won't face that kind of adversity for the rest of our hub games.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast

It's all about the ability to execute.

Both Geelong and Collingwood have played a lot of games against Richmond and both have been able to chip mark their way through Richmond's defense.

I'm firmly of the opinion that we just didn't have the cattle to pull it off last night.

If you put Yeo and Redden in to that midfield, dare I say we would have had the game more on our terms and played more in our forward half. We lost the territory battle.

Simpson should take note of the way our ball movement was shut down from the back half. We were missing folks from all over the ground, except our back 7 had everyone in it bar Nelson.

They had both their front half and back half game working, we essentially had only our front half game, but we were down on talls so we couldn't clunk marks.

insidious

Senior List
Mar 5, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
I think even if we played Richmond on the moon or in the middle of Ayres rock it would have been the same result. We need to grow as a strong team in the hub. That's it.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast

• A growing injury list
All that considered it's probably a positive that we were still in the game at 3QT. We won't face that kind of adversity for the rest of our hub games.

I bolded the excuses that are piss weak.

Who cares how many day breaks there are. We were right in there in terms of effort. And the accommodation stuff is grasping at straws.

Their 22 beat our 22.

Let's focus on the next one and make sure we get top 4 in the bag.

I hope we get to play them again at some stage later this year.

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
Over the past 6-7 years IMO we’ve had consistently the strongest best 22 in terms of talent across the park.

Brisbane have had one year of being a finals quality side. Collingwood have no key forwards. Richmond’s squad is like Ross Lyon era St Kilda.

Look I’d much rather be in our position than most other teams, but I reckon in a few years time we’ll look back at the squad and think we deserved another flag in the same way we do with the 2000s group

Maybe it’s not about phrasing it as winning when things don’t suit us. you’re right, it’s deliberately vague because it’s not something you can quantify easily and it’s much easier to refute something when it’s not easy to quantify.

But we don’t seem to have been able to grasp our opportunities as consistently as we could have, given the quality of our list and our club’s resources.
I agree in part that maybe we should have another flag under our belt but I also want to put up a counterpoint.

It’s hard to judge our “results” over the last few years based purely off the number that we finished. We realistically could’ve finished anywhere between 6th and 1st over all those years, that’s how close the top 5-6 have been and it shows that one f*ck up can be your season. Last year the Collingwood game was it.

Look at this year even. We had a bad start but won 8 matches on the trot, lost an 8 point swing and still find ourselves on an uphill battle for 4th, despite all we’ve done over the last 2 months.

Richmond have been the better side over the last few years but during the H+A they certainly haven’t shown it. They just kept themselves around the mark (as they’re doing again this year) and are the better side when finals come. We’ve just slipped up one time too many in a few of those years that cost us the vital starting position at the beginning of finals. Last year as a prime example again.. If the ball bounces our way in the last minute of the Tigers game, we take their place in the top 4 and possibly win the flag instead of them as well. That’s literally how close it is and shows you how hard it is to win one, let alone multiple in one window.

The sliding doors throughout seasons are huge, you can be unbeatable for weeks on end and lose one single game that defines your season. Last night could have been it again. Although there’s plenty still to go under the bridge before the end of the year this time around. Similar to last year, if we make top 4 I believe we can beat anyone on our day (specifically day time, none of this QLD at night rubbish :p)

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
That’s true through our entire history.

We should have won more flags in the 90’s

We should have won more flags in 00’s

We should win more with this group

Imagine being St Kilda who won their first 19 games in 2009 and went into the GF with a 22-2 record for the year, won 3 out of 4 quarters and didn’t win the flag.

Imagine being Fremantle who in their only grand final are the only team to be rated by CD as the better team and to have lost the GF?

Imagine being Sydney who should have won 3 flags in the 2010’s but only won 1.

We’ve done very well, both over the course of the clubs history and in the era.

You can’t hang your head about the ones that get away.

And there is still a lot to play out this season. We’ve won 8 out of last 9.

Race for this years flag is still very much on.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
The big reason for those stats was the MCG advantage

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast

• A growing injury list
You missed the metricon factor . We suck at metricon. On the flip side Richmond love it

Sep 10, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Toronto Maple Leafs
Boots press conference.

Bunch of bogan sounding journos there.

I'm not a fan of Shuey's response to the early questions: "A couple of times we just couldn't go with them" as if that was acceptable. That shouldn't be acceptable and the captain should be communicating to the supporters that isn't. Set the god damned standard.

Jun 20, 2008
Rainy Park City
AFL Club
West Coast
I feel like the margins for our last two games should be swapped.

Last night's loss was much closer than it's 27 point difference would suggest, while our win margin from Sunday flatters GWS.

At the end of the day, there is really very little separating West Coast and Richmond and with conditions favouring them it was more likely than not that the coin would fall their way.

Jun 20, 2008
Rainy Park City
AFL Club
West Coast
BS. Our game plan can beat them.

They are a good team, we need to match their pressure, and once we win possession, and eventually get a clean possession we can switch on our standard play.

I think we weren't clean enough last night. Lots of contests we were one handpass away from a clean possession that should of allowed us to start our kick mark, but we missed that last hand pass and were under pressure again.

I dont think the team walk away from that game with any concerns about coming up against the tigers. Not saying it would be easy at all, but they would know if they do their job right they will beat them.

Im sure the tigers would do the same. They should have concerns about the few times we cut them up moving forward leading to easy goals.

Agree with this.

It was a game played on a tight rope those first two quarters. Every goal we kicked was matched by them and vice-versa. Then they get the break with two in a row.

Had a few of our earlier behinds converted to goals or their goal kicking is off a tad, it could well have been the eagles who get the break.

That puts pressure on the tigers game plan and their players begin to second guess themselves, while the eagles build confidence.

Sep 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Reading FC

Last night's loss was much closer than it's 27 point difference would suggest, while our win margin from Sunday flatters GWS.

At the end of the day, there is really very little separating West Coast and Richmond and with conditions favouring them it was more likely than not that the coin would fall their way.
I wouldn't say it flatters GWS. They won in most of the key statistics. If anything we should have lost it.

bh90210fan

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Last night’s game can be summed up in one passage of play when Sheppard spilled a mark on half back, who then scrambled to get it to Brander, who managed to kick it out on the full only to have Martin banana a goal from the boundary. They took their chances and we didn’t. With a few more cool heads to come back hopefully we can get on a winning streak and build confidence before we face any more contenders in Queensland come finals.

random260

Premiership Player
Apr 20, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast

I don't think so. At no point was the game on our terms. if we had won it would have been a fluke. The game I watched was WCE getting beaten handily in terms of game plan. The only term that was going to break open the damm and surge was Richmond and they did.

Just look at the inside fifties difference.

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
Agree with this.

It was a game played on a tight rope those first two quarters. Every goal we kicked was matched by them and vice-versa. Then they get the break with two in a row.

Had a few of our earlier behinds converted to goals or their goal kicking is off a tad, it could well have been the eagles who get the break.

That puts pressure on the tigers game plan and their players begin to second guess themselves, while the eagles build confidence.
This is like every game ever though really

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't think so. At no point was the game on our terms. if we had won it would have been a fluke. The game I watched was WCE getting beaten handily in terms of game plan. The only term that was going to break open the damm and surge was Richmond and they did.

Just look at the inside fifties difference.

The inside 50's favoured Richmond by 7, even though they scored the first 10 of the last quarter.

Contested possession: +9
Clearances: +3
Hitouts: -1
Marks - 23

The game was played on their terms. Largely, once JK went down in the first quarter, their defence was able to focus squarely on JD. Vlaustin, Balta and Short combined for 7 of their 10 contested marks. That wouldn't happen if we had Allen/JK/JD. Missing Oscar really hurt, as did missing Yeo and Redden. Yeo for his clearances, especially at centre bounce and Redden for his work in the contest.

The absence of those two players means Gaffy gets sucked into the contest and we then lose our ability to move the ball on the outside.

I still think there is a lot to like out of last nights performance. We just need to find ways to win our remaining games.

Hopefully Redden, Nelson and Oscar come back next game and Waterman the game after.

Back