Play Nice 2020 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

The story is no discount was conceded. That being the case I can see why 7 are pissed.

It's like ordering a Mercedes but being delivered a Kia and getting told "hey, you're getting a car so quit whining".

this goes back to last season as well though, their offering was poor compared to previous IMO

if they wanted the price to remain unchanged, they needed to work with C7 to find a way to justify/validate that, not just demand it (esp with lesser players)

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
this goes back to last season as well though, their offering was poor compared to previous IMO

if they wanted the price to remain unchanged, they needed to work with C7 to find a way to justify/validate that, not just demand it (esp with lesser players)

Isnt the BBL the problem, it can rate its socks off but at the expense of the traditional game.

Isnt the BBL the problem, it can rate its socks off but at the expense of the traditional game.

im the wrong person to talk on this, I hate BBL. but seemed less enthusiasm and more complaints last year than previous

not sure why tbh

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder

Not sure that's true - they usually schedule it so they don't overlap and i've never seen any suggestion that test ratings are down because of the BBL. ODIs maybe, but that's a worldwide trend that wouldn't be any different in Australia whether there was the BBL or not.

The problem is that CA take the BBL for granted and treat it like s**t. Low salary caps mean it gets outbid for decent imports and the best Australian players get prevented from playing, in part because CA schedule pointless international series in opposition to it.

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Not sure that's true - they usually schedule it so they don't overlap and i've never seen any suggestion that test ratings are down because of the BBL. ODIs maybe, but that's a worldwide trend that wouldn't be any different in Australia whether there was the BBL or not.

The problem is that CA take the BBL for granted and treat it like sh*t. Low salary caps mean it gets outbid for decent imports and the best Australian players get prevented from playing, in part because CA schedule pointless international series in opposition to it.
Yep - Warner & Smith played in Bangladeshi league while big bash on

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton

The problem is that CA take the BBL for granted and treat it like sh*t. Low salary caps mean it gets outbid for decent imports and the best Australian players get prevented from playing, in part because CA schedule pointless international series in opposition to it.
Give it 20 years and we will hardly ever see the best cricketers in Australia

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
It's about time some mods started being fair
AFL Club
Fremantle
Since we're talking cricket season, i was wondering.
If Victoria finds itself in a position to "normalise" in time for the cricket season, then what is the likely outcome not for cricket - but football.
Will football-playing starved Victorians turn to summer competitions to get a fix and to catch up?

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood

Obviously this year is an extraordinary situation however you a dead right about taking the BBL for granted as a cash cow. They are assumed people would keep watching an extended season with less star players and they were wrong

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
If Victoria finds itself in a position to "normalise" in time for the cricket season, then what is the likely outcome not for cricket - but football.
Will football-playing starved Victorians turn to summer competitions to get a fix and to catch up?

Certainly an opportunity for something.....I suspect the AFLW will get a big bump in February

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Obviously this year is an extraordinary situation however you a dead right about taking the BBL for granted as a cash cow. They are assumed people would keep watching an extended season with less star players and they were wrong
Turning a tournament into a proper competition then treating the competition as a meaningless tournament.

Seven's grubby starting point is to get a discount, and they will use any argument they can think of to try and get it.

CA are a joke because one minute they acknowledge those above issues outlined by Rob, next minute they go ahead and put out a schedule that only heightens those issues (and lie about addressing them).

Nothing either party says during this back-and-forth can be trusted.
Yep - Warner & Smith played in Bangladeshi league while big bash on
Well done, that misleading statement is on par with all the trash you write on here about various football codes.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Seven's grubby starting point is to get a discount, and they will use any argument they can think of to try and get it.

CA are a joke because one minute they acknowledge those above issues outlined by Rob, next minute they go ahead and put out a schedule that only heightens those issues (and lie about addressing them).

Nothing either party says during this back-and-forth can be trusted.

Well done, that misleading statement is on par with all the trash you write on here about various football codes.

Seven have been dudded.
I agree the public comments are straight PR.

Ten & 9 have gone broke in the FTA space. 7 dont aim to repeat it & I dont blame them.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
I know cricket Tas are expecting higher than normal participation rates.

You would hope CA has plan B already in place if the borders don't come down in time for the BBL. The first rounds of the shield have been shifted to Adelaide thankfully. Neither 7 nor CA will look good if they don't sort this out behind private doors.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I know cricket Tas are expecting higher than normal participation rates.

You would hope CA has plan B already in place if the borders don't come down in time for the BBL. The first rounds of the shield have been shifted to Adelaide thankfully. Neither 7 nor CA will look good if they don't sort this out behind private doors.

Behind closed doors isnt what it used to be for public companies.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
To an extent but it is probably inevitable when you have a country of 1.3billion who love the sport.

I don't think so unless there's a huge change in dynamic for the game. Internationals are still considered the pinnacle and have been forever, and while that remains the case India still need someone to play and you can't fill 12 months with India v a few other countries. So you will still need the domestic game - which brings me to the IPL, which is generally played in March to May each year. They'd need to extend that back to November to really smash the BBL, which I don't think is going to happen. TBH, I don't think much will change in the next 20 years other than the likely death (or at least significant reduction) of one day cricket.

The key for Australia is to remain competitive in world cricket, and I have to say the junior programs they have going are brilliant at getting kids into the game. And if they have the playing base - and importantly a fair share of elite athletes amongst the playing base - then I think the game will be OK in the long term.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
International cricket is the pinnacle but the worry is that we are very close to the point where India tours are worth so much more then any other tour that countries become completely dependent on them.
the biggest worry would be the IPL. If they choose tO extend their season then it’s very realistic that in the next 10 or so years they are paying $30mil plus per side. (I think it’s already $17mil for six weeks) they can add more sides, they can do what ever they want. Make it a proper competition though and all that’s means is that they have all the power. They control all the real money so they call all the shots. They could make players fly in over a month before the season starts and leave their domestic comps. They will control the international calendar and work it so it suits their domestic comps and not have to worry about anyone else’s.
money will win out, we have already seen it with the West Indies. Those dollar differences will only grow and make more players choose.
The status quo is pretty hard to imagine Still being the case in the future when one country generates 80% of the revenue.
I don't think so unless there's a huge change in dynamic for the game. Internationals are still considered the pinnacle and have been forever, and while that remains the case India still need someone to play and you can't fill 12 months with India v a few other countries. So you will still need the domestic game - which brings me to the IPL, which is generally played in March to May each year. They'd need to extend that back to November to really smash the BBL, which I don't think is going to happen. TBH, I don't think much will change in the next 20 years other than the likely death (or at least significant reduction) of one day cricket.

The key for Australia is to remain competitive in world cricket, and I have to say the junior programs they have going are brilliant at getting kids into the game. And if they have the playing base - and importantly a fair share of elite athletes amongst the playing base - then I think the game will be OK in the long term.

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
International cricket is the pinnacle but the worry is that we are very close to the point where India tours are worth so much more then any other tour that countries become completely dependent on them.
the biggest worry would be the IPL. If they choose tO extend their season then it’s very realistic that in the next 10 or so years they are paying $30mil plus per side. (I think it’s already $17mil for six weeks) they can add more sides, they can do what ever they want. Make it a proper competition though and all that’s means is that they have all the power. They control all the real money so they call all the shots. They could make players fly in over a month before the season starts and leave their domestic comps. They will control the international calendar and work it so it suits their domestic comps and not have to worry about anyone else’s.
money will win out, we have already seen it with the West Indies. Those dollar differences will only grow and make more players choose.
The status quo is pretty hard to imagine Still being the case in the future when one country generates 80% of the revenue.

Or did the West Indies decline because they could no longer use Australian/English domestic cricket to develop their players.

Back