Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Signed to the end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Praps the work wasn't put in pre-season for a bigger midfield role? I mean coaching groups do plan & train these things over summer, I'd have him in that mix and demand a big pre-season going into next year he can do it.
Back end of last year he played only midfield and we just restricted his minutes. Early in the year he spent more time in the middle but since Breust got injured he has barely gone in there, even after Breust returned. Is mind boggling from the outside.

Back end of last year he played only midfield and we just restricted his minutes. Early in the year he spent more time in the middle but since Breust got injured he has barely gone in there, even after Breust returned. Is mind boggling from the outside.
Almost like they need to see if any midfield combination works without him.
By the time Breust was back our season was over even if the club wasn't ready to admit it publicly.

Our setups make me think we are evaluating players and I assume coaches

Bunch of rubbish in here hahah , Chad has been chasing opponents and applying pressure non stop. Some of you need to get your eyes checked.
Many of us unable to even watch games. When was our last FTA game? Carlton? Richmond?

Wingard is a match winner but he isn’t a team carrier. He is doing ok this year and will get better as the team gets better.
He'll be leading the Brownlow at r4.

Once we moved to the hubs it was all downhill for Chad. That's OK, some have coped better than others. As did some clubs. Ours clearly did not cope.

While certainly not a perfect metric, AFL player ratings are definitely a good indicator of player performance over a period of time.

While Wingard has certainly had a few down weeks lately, it is worth noting that he is the number 1 ranked general forward in the AFL this season. Interestingly, he and Breust are both ranked equal 1st. If anything, this only serves as a credit to the effort and talent of them both considering how hard it has been to play in that forward line this season.

I agree with the sentiment of many on here that he has to play more midfield time. He compliments our other mids so perfectly and he tore the comp apart when he moved in there last year. One can only hope that Clarko is simply trying to have a look at other things this year and that is why Chad is forward so much. He should be training there this pre-season in order to play there in 2021.

The claims of laziness and disinterest are also off the mark, Chad ranks above average for tackles and pressure acts and elite for one percenters.

Port Adelaide really said “Chad is a lazy, sooky loser” and some of you just straight up believed them huh?

While certainly not a perfect metric, AFL player ratings are definitely a good indicator of player performance over a period of time.

While Wingard has certainly had a few down weeks lately, it is worth noting that he is the number 1 ranked general forward in the AFL this season. Interestingly, he and Breust are both ranked equal 1st. If anything, this only serves as a credit to the effort and talent of them both considering how hard it has been to play in that forward line this season.

I agree with the sentiment of many on here that he has to play more midfield time. He compliments our other mids so perfectly and he tore the comp apart when he moved in there last year. One can only hope that Clarko is simply trying to have a look at other things this year and that is why Chad is forward so much. He should be training there this pre-season in order to play there in 2021.

The claims of laziness and disinterest are also off the mark, Chad ranks above average for tackles and pressure acts and elite for one percenters.

Port Adelaide really said “Chad is a lazy, sooky loser” and some of you just straight up believed them huh?

What makes up the player ratings to make him number 1? I assume it’s the same kind of metrics clarko if looking at and why he’s keeping him forward for now.

What makes up the player ratings to make him number 1? I assume it’s the same kind of metrics clarko if looking at and why he’s keeping him forward for now.

Champion data don’t release exactly how the calculate it but they try to take into account all aspects of the game. Players are rewarded for winning the ball and using it well, along with their defensive work such as tackles, spoils, intercept marks etc. I also know that players lose points for things like dropped marks and missed handballs.

Why is he not getting more time in the midfield? Is it fitness / work rate / some thing else? Breust and impey are back so the team balance argument doesn’t hold.
Giving Howe, Cousins and Glass their opportunity. Also like against Essendon making them fight back and tough it out when the opposition gets a run on.

Those 3 will never be were we need them if we just take them out when they are getting beaten. Let them learn and improve then next year they can carry the load and we won't need to put wingard in to save the day.

Giving Howe, Cousins and Glass their opportunity. Also like against Essendon making them fight back and tough it out when the opposition gets a run on.

Those 3 will never be were we need them if we just take them out when they are getting beaten. Let them learn and improve then next year they can carry the load and we won't need to put wingard in to save the day.

Yeah I agree. We know what wingard can do. Cousins and Glass are both still up in the air. We have 4 weeks to make big calls on a dozen different players at either end of the age bracket.
Next season, we’ll hopefully see Wingard back to playing a mid/fwd role similar to what he played at the start of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While we are here....

The 'Chad is a lockeroom cancer' blah blah blah type BS is one of the worst myths going around the league.

I am not sure any recruit has bought in more at the Hawks off the field. One of the most caring and genuine people we have at the club.

The 'Chad is a lockeroom cancer' blah blah blah type BS is one of the worst myths going around the league.

I am not sure any recruit has bought in more at the Hawks off the field. One of the most caring and genuine people we have at the club.

That was put to bed a long time ago. Hopefully no one is still buying in to that. He's a fairly reserved, caring and a very genuine character.

The biggest endorsement would have to be that Clarko loved him during his Port days and especially after the international rules series. Pretty sure he said (in 2014?) that if he could have any one player it would be Wingard.

He got stereotyped because of the way he plays, the hair and the tattoos.

He's a rare talent indeed.

It was a great return game from Chad, I just hope he can play a full season with that intensity even when we slip to 3-7 or so after 10 games and he knows the season is a dead duck.

It was a great return game from Chad, I just hope he can play a full season with that intensity even when we slip to 3-7 or so after 10 games and he knows the season is a dead duck.
You mean like last year where he finished 3rd in the B&F.

You mean like last year where he finished 3rd in the B&F.

Didn't take much to finish 3rd in our B & F last season tbh, Mitchell came 2nd didn't he ? I thought he was rather average also.

Gunston was the only player I was super impressed with the last season. Also Sicily prior to the ACL.

It’s sad with Chad, has so much talent. Could literally be a top 5 player in the comp. but something is just stopping him from getting to that level. Seems like he peaked at 21 years old. Don’t know if it is his body that has let him down or just work ethic.

Really hope he returns to form, he is a great player and person. I watch majority of hawthorn games just to watch him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back