Autopsy Round 14 – Fremantle vs GWS Giants, Saturday 29th August 2020, Optus Stadium, 4.35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
95D13E08-AB3E-4A89-BE63-A8A3E8C871D5.png

13TH V 11TH

2020 TOYOTA AFL PREMIERSHIP
Round 14 • FREMANTLE V GIANTS
SATURDAY AUGUST 29TH 4:35 PM AEST (OPTUS)

ROUND 14 TEAMS

DOCKERS

B: B.Cox, R.Conca, N.Wilson
HB: S.Hill, L.Ryan, E.Hughes
C: A.Cerra, N.Fyfe, J.Aish
HF: M.Walters, M.Taberner, L.Henry
F: L.Schultz, R.Lobb, M.Crowden
FOLL: S.Darcy, C.Serong, D.Mundy

I/C: B.Bewley, A.Brayshaw, C.Blakely, T.Duman
EMG: M.Frederick, T.Watson, B.Banfield, L.Valente

IN: B.Bewley
OUT: M.Frederick (mental health)

GIANTS

B: L.Keeffe, A.Corr, H.Shaw
HB: A.Kennedy, N.Haynes, Z.Williams
C: L.Whitfield, J.Kelly, H.Perryman
HF: M.de Boer, H.Himmelberg, T.Greene
F: B.Daniels, J.Riccardi, J.Cameron
FOLL: S.Mumford, S.Coniglio, T.Taranto

I/C: L.Ash, B.Hill, J.Hopper, D.Lloyd
EMG: M.Buntine, J.Finlayson, S.Jacobs, Z.Langdon

IN: M.de Boer, L.Ash
OUT: C.Ward (injured), J.Caldwell (managed)

Land of the Giants preview:

So, what did we learn from Round 13, apart from the aggressive tendencies of some ex-girlfriends in the West?

We still have a serious problem with inconsistency. This time, after yet another pathetic first half, someone finally found the keys to the engine, and we won the second half 6.1 to 4.3, more than doubling our score in the last quarter. The Eagles seemed to be tiring and if it hadn’t been for Jeremy McGovern, we might have gone on with it. But it was all a bit too late.

Well done Jake Riccardi. You showed plenty of composure on a solid debut, and played like you really wanted to be out there. Perhaps your intent was noticed by a few of your more illustrious team mates. We can only hope.

Where to from here? The equation is pretty simple. To have any chance of playing finals, we have to win all five remaining games, starting this Saturday against Fremantle, again in Perth. After that, it’s Carlton at Metricon, the Crows in Adelaide, Melbourne at the Gabba, and St. Kilda, supposedly somewhere in NSW. The good news is that all of these games are winnable. The bad news is that they’re also all losable.

The team can probably stay as it is for a while, although we need to replace Ward, who unfortunately sustained a compound fracture to a finger in the third quarter. We have a few options to replace him, so it shouldn't be too difficult.

But moving forward, we have to consistently show the belief and desire that was there in the last quarter.

It’s up to you Giants. You have to want it.

Let's see how much you want to stay alive for the finals race this year, Giants. Win, and we're still fighting. Lose, and it's year over. I hope that we'll make a statement, but I fear that it will be the second. I still cannot understand what's happened this year with most of our players.

Fire up, Giants!

I'd not be surprised to see Bobby Hill have a good day, don't think there's much in their defence that'll match his speed and ability at ground level, that also relies on us getting it down there though, so that might be an issue.

Not sure which Giants team will turn up today and I am accepting that it is season over with a loss and tbh I cant see the team doing any damage in fianls if it scraps in. All 3 areas seem a total mess with defense lacking organisation without Davis, mids losing the contest too easily and not sticking tackles and the forward line not functioning at all
I can see Freo winning this and on form, being at home and after last years result they should be favourite by a margin
I am hoping to see Cameron at least show some signs of life in the forward line and the mids to put in an improved effort and I am hoping to not see any sulking forwards

I still cannot understand what's happened this year with most of our players.

The team lost its mojo because of the disruption caused by COVID-19.

They came out full of intent in the pre-season game against Richmond and carried on with it in Round 1 against Geelong, but on return appeared to have lost interest, probably because of uncertainty and question marks over the legitimacy of the season.

They came out full of intent in the pre-season game against Richmond and carried on with it in Round 1 against Geelong, but on return appeared to have lost interest, probably because of uncertainty and question marks over the legitimacy of the season.
Yes, I agree.

(It was somewhat of a rhetorical question. Probably it was more a sentiment that ''I can't believe they lost their mojo just because of coronavirus.'')

I bet Geelong, Richmond and Port fans are happy their sides chose not to display the same attitude

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back