2020/21 Championship, Lower, Non-League & EFL Trophy

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't mind the idea of salary caps for the lower 2 leagues, I think maybe the cap for league 1 is a little low as it will probably mean any team will struggle to compete on an equal footing when they win promotion to the Championship.

I do. Sunderland, Charlton, Ipswich and Portsmouth are all PL clubs from the previous decade with massive fanbases who'd make what looks like PL revenue compared to other clubs in the lower divisions. That fan base and revenue doesn't mean s**t if we can't match what Accrington Stanley or Burton Albion can offer.

Not to mention the fact that a salary cap will mean if a team goes up to the Championship then they'd have a mountain to climb just trying to stay in the division. Or the fact that the lower divisions will likely lose a lot more players to places like Scotland or overseas clubs who can suddenly offer more money. And to top it all off the ownership test will still be absolute wank.

It's a complete s**t show of a situation.

Isn’t the third and fourth tier English clubs on higher wages than most other countries and by a fair bit? Not sure how reliable but below article stated that average League 1 salary is 4700 pounds per week! Highest is 15k. That’s decent coin. So would imagine cap would be in line or just below that figure...not sure too many other lower leagues could match that.

I do. Sunderland, Charlton, Ipswich and Portsmouth are all PL clubs from the previous decade with massive fanbases who'd make what looks like PL revenue compared to other clubs in the lower divisions. That fan base and revenue doesn't mean sh*t if we can't match what Accrington Stanley or Burton Albion can offer.

Not to mention the fact that a salary cap will mean if a team goes up to the Championship then they'd have a mountain to climb just trying to stay in the division. Or the fact that the lower divisions will likely lose a lot more players to places like Scotland or overseas clubs who can suddenly offer more money. And to top it all off the ownership test will still be absolute wank.

It's a complete sh*t show of a situation.
If those teams find themselves in L1 or even L2 then it will be because of their precarious financial position, a salary cap will allow them to repair their financials and perhaps even build a bit of security so they can compete when they return to the championship.

Also, if they are down there because of financial issues then they deserve to be punished. They ****ed up. It would be selfish of the teams and supporters to put themselves above the other 40 smaller clubs that need a salary cap to survive.

As I stated previously I think the salary cap for L1 is a little low, it should be £3-3.5 million minimum, perhaps that will change in years to come.

Last edited:

The fixed cap is dumb because if you sell a player for a big fee you can't re-invest that money in the squad. There should be something like 20 players under the cap, with 5 players allowed to be outside the cap. That's enough to make a difference if you have the money but not so many as to destroy a club.

The fixed cap is dumb because if you sell a player for a big fee you can't re-invest that money in the squad. There should be something like 20 players under the cap, with 5 players allowed to be outside the cap. That's enough to make a difference if you have the money but not so many as to destroy a club.
can see a situation where an owner absolutely fleeces a club and uses this 'well we couldn't put it into the team!' as an excuse.

can see a situation where an owner absolutely fleeces a club and uses this 'well we couldn't put it into the team!' as an excuse.

Yep, owner sells star player for huge fee, pockets most of it, and justified bringing in a free/cheap replacement as being because of the salary cap.

I'm still in favour of having a fixed cap + a certain % of revenue. I guess player fees can be manipulated in certain ways but it still seems a bit off.

A salary cap isn't perfect, but it may have saved Bury, and clubs like Macclesfield, Bolton and Stevenage may not be in the financially precarious position they are in now.
I do believe there are laws within the EFL that prohibits owners from pocketing profits from the sale of players, and that a certain percentage must go back to the club for admininstration and player payments. I'm sure there are some owners who are shrewed enough to find loopholes so they can bypass these laws, and I hope these crooks will be discovered in time before a another club goes into adminstration or is forced to fold.

A salary cap isn't perfect, but it may have saved Bury, and clubs like Macclesfield, Bolton and Stevenage may not be in the financially precarious position they are in now.
I do believe there are laws within the EFL that prohibits owners from pocketing profits from the sale of players, and that a certain percentage must go back to the club for admininstration and player payments. I'm sure there are some owners who are shrewed enough to find loopholes so they can bypass these laws, and I hope these crooks will be discovered in time before a another club goes into adminstration or is forced to fold.
you look at the rate of folding in the 1880s to war times; plenty of clubs were going under, changing suburbs and names, and then merging. football's been pretty spoilt. there are what, 120 clubs across England, Scotland, and Wales who are professional or are every other year. not many have really gone under.

it's crushing to see even 'small' clubs like Bury, Newport, Gretna go under and I won't mention the obvious one. I ******* hate mergers in any sport, league, or country.

but it's a result of the uber rich owning clubs with no respect for culture or history and using them for nefarious, self-serving 'needs.' the ludicrous increase in wages, hard-on for MegaDome Jr 'stadiums,' obsession with marketability is what, from the last 20 years? it's mental to think Abramovich's investment in Chelsea FC would probably get you a Stoke City and a couple of years in the relegation zone in the Prem these days. I'm not that old and even I remember that it was basically Arsenal v Man U for about eight years and Liverpool and maybe NUFC were a big club by history alone. I probably lost my passion for the top division because it's now a proper six v the rest but Leicester City and Wolves still give it a proper nudge and have done for what, three or four seasons now? it is absolutely mental. it's why I have so much respect for Sheffield United; Wolves spent the money and the Portuguese imports while Sheff U did nowt. in a way yeah, makes Leicester remarkable too – people forget Blackburn Rovers won the Premier League just by being the first Chelsea/City. Alan Shearer should have been at Man U.

even with the Sky money in the Premier League years, owners were a bit tinpot, teams were basically all British, and Carrow Road was a tidy, modernly adapted ground.

it's moved so fast and honestly I'm surprised it hasn't happened more often. Leeds United, Bolton Wanderers, and Pompey are cautionary tales but the fact we haven't seen a proper Prem-to-nothin plummet is an anomaly not an expectation.

you look at the rate of folding in the 1880s to war times; plenty of clubs were going under, changing suburbs and names, and then merging. football's been pretty spoilt. there are what, 120 clubs across England, Scotland, and Wales who are professional or are every other year. not many have really gone under.

it's crushing to see even 'small' clubs like Bury, Newport, Gretna go under and I won't mention the obvious one. I ******* hate mergers in any sport, league, or country.

but it's a result of the uber rich owning clubs with no respect for culture or history and using them for nefarious, self-serving 'needs.' the ludicrous increase in wages, hard-on for MegaDome Jr 'stadiums,' obsession with marketability is what, from the last 20 years? it's mental to think Abramovich's investment in Chelsea FC would probably get you a Stoke City and a couple of years in the relegation zone in the Prem these days. I'm not that old and even I remember that it was basically Arsenal v Man U for about eight years and Liverpool and maybe NUFC were a big club by history alone. I probably lost my passion for the top division because it's now a proper six v the rest but Leicester City and Wolves still give it a proper nudge and have done for what, three or four seasons now? it is absolutely mental. it's why I have so much respect for Sheffield United; Wolves spent the money and the Portuguese imports while Sheff U did nowt. in a way yeah, makes Leicester remarkable too – people forget Blackburn Rovers won the Premier League just by being the first Chelsea/City. Alan Shearer should have been at Man U.

even with the Sky money in the Premier League years, owners were a bit tinpot, teams were basically all British, and Carrow Road was a tidy, modernly adapted ground.

it's moved so fast and honestly I'm surprised it hasn't happened more often. Leeds United, Bolton Wanderers, and Pompey are cautionary tales but the fact we haven't seen a proper Prem-to-nothin plummet is an anomaly not an expectation.

Bolton?

but it's a result of the uber rich owning clubs with no respect for culture or history and using them for nefarious, self-serving 'needs.'

It's a result of clubs not being managed well financially.

Nearly 20 years ago, with Leeds flying high, I predicted their financial troubles on BF despite having no financial background. It was that obvious.

Football has always had unrealistic dreamers, charlatans and downright morons running football clubs, and we really need to be looking at these people, plus the league who have been caught napping time and time again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a result of clubs not being managed well financially.

Nearly 20 years ago, with Leeds flying high, I predicted their financial troubles on BF despite having no financial background. It was that obvious.

Football has always had unrealistic dreamers, charlatans and downright morons running football clubs, and we really need to be looking at these people, plus the league who have been caught napping time and time again.

Leeds spent outside their means and heavily borrowed in order to secure consistent CL football.

If only there were regulations back then that obliged clubs to spend within their means.

Last edited:
Oldham if you go back far enough. Wimbledon if you dont count MK Dons.
Actually, you could include Carlisle United as well. They over extended themselves making it to Division 1 in 1974/75 and staying in Division 2 in the mid 80’s that they eventually fell all the way to the conference before working their way back into the football league and almost won promotion to the Championship in 2008 before crashing again.

Perhaps the EFL need to look at something like a salary cap to keep these smaller clubs from imploding.

Just a thought.

How about actually implementing a proper F&P test?

Leeds spent outside their means and heavily borrowed in order to secure consistent CL football.

If only there were regulations back then that obliged clubs to spend within their means.

Leeds made a profit the year before they went bust iirc. They would have passed ffp if it was in place.

If there were regulations that were focussed on protecting all clubs rather than protecting the biggest clubs it could have saved Leeds.

Leeds made a profit the year before they went bust iirc. They would have passed ffp if it was in place.

If there were regulations that were focussed on protecting all clubs rather than protecting the biggest clubs it could have saved Leeds.

Leeds posted massive losses for the 2 years prior to going bust. 49m in losses alone just in 2003. Not sure where you are getting your information from. Certainly FFP would not have allowed them to take out huge loans at above average interest rates. It is unfortunate that some sort of FFP wasn't around then to prevent Leeds going bust. It also doesn't help when you have clubs in a business environment that are able to run up losses of nearly 200m pounds in a year. That's enough to send any club under and distorts the marketplace.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back