Fremantle Under Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Going to preface by saying I’ve seen maybe 3-4 games in total, but has anything changed from last year under Ross Lyon?

Still seem ultra-defensive, can’t create play through the middle of the ground and seem to be treading water through another season.

Granted they have gone through a minor rebuild I thought they’d be far advanced than what they’re showing.

Thoughts?

• Banned
Also interesting to note prior to this round they’ve only scored 15 more points than the wooden spooners (with one less round played).

Going to preface by saying I’ve seen maybe 3-4 games in total, but has anything changed from last year under Ross Lyon?

Still seem ultra-defensive, can’t create play through the middle of the ground and seem to be treading water through another season.

Granted they have gone through a minor rebuild I thought they’d be far advanced than what they’re showing.

Thoughts?

What, Carlton are allowed 10 years to rebuild but Freo are not ? It's his first season in charge, unfortunately he has had a covid impacted off season so has not been able to train his system as often as he would like. I have seen a few Freo games this year and a blind man can see he is trying to bed down accountable defending, not just mega flooding.

As the year has progressed, hence more training to the playing group, Freo has had some fantastic offensive passages of play based on smart defending. Give them time, way to early for a thread like this.

Also interesting to note prior to this round they’ve only scored 15 more points than the wooden spooners (with one less round played).

To be fair, we've played quite a few games in the wet.

Today's performance was pretty s**t, but it's a different gameplan to Lyon. I'm a bit concerned about the tendency to always go out the back in contested ball situations, but I'll wait and see before passing too much judgement. Especially given most of the defensive rebound capability is out injured.

Thoughts?
First year with a new coach. Rebuilt went mostly ok. Midfield starting to work, defense is great considering the current outs.

But we have no forwardline apart from Taberner who is having a good season. But he is no Pavlich when it comes to 1-man forwardlines...

Getting Hogan on the field and into form, talls could be fine but with about no depth. And we somehow totally failed to get any small/medium who is consistently dangerous around goals.

Thoughts?
Going to preface by saying I only read the first 3-4 words of your post, but I disagree with your assessment

• Banned
What, Carlton are allowed 10 years to rebuild but Freo are not ? It's his first season in charge, unfortunately he has had a covid impacted off season so has not been able to train his system as often as he would like. I have seen a few Freo games this year and a blind man can see he is trying to bed down accountable defending, not just mega flooding.

As the year has progressed, hence more training to the playing group, Freo has had some fantastic offensive passages of play based on smart defending. Give them time, way to early for a thread like this.

They were doing this under Lyon too. They haven’t lost any players over the off-season and have only brought in more young talent on top of the plethora of young guns already on their list.

Every team has been impacted by COVID. They’ve also had the added benefit of playing more home games than others.

give him time

36 months is required to start to build the list he wants, secure his assistants and lock in his style of play

I’m happy to give him time, this thread is mainly to gauge how he is tracking at this point.

Maybe I overestimated them, or missed the ultimate aim of turfing Ross Lyon but I thought they’d be further ahead with a much better balance of offensive to defensive play.

They were doing this under Lyon too. They haven’t lost any players over the off-season and have only brought in more young talent on top of the plethora of young guns already on their list.

Every team has been impacted by COVID. They’ve also had the added benefit of playing more home games than others.

You either are intentionally missing the point or just trolling freo. A blind man can see they are defending differently then a Ross Lyon coached side. What did most teams do in the first year of rebuilding ? They mostly focus on defending first and then build offensive layers from there. Also not every team appointed a new coach with a new style of play during a covid impacted off season.

I find your view amazingly ironic considering the club you support. Of all supporter groups, you would think you would understand teaching a new game plan takes time.

You either are intentionally missing the point or just trolling freo. A blind man can see they are defending differently then a Ross Lyon coached side. What did most teams do in the first year of rebuilding ? They mostly focus on defending first and then build offensive layers from there. Also not every team appointed a new coach with a new style of play during a covid impacted off season.

I find your view amazingly ironic considering the club you support. Of all supporter groups, you would think you would understand teaching a new game plan takes time.

You’re saying they’re defending differently, but not explaining how.

Luke Ryan is still loose, soaking up a lot of opposition attacks, their midfielders still push further back than most, which compromises their ability to move the ball quickly. Defenders are still closely clustered. So tell me what I’m missing?

This thread isn’t about Carlton but I do see certain parallels with the way Brendan Bolton coached. The style of play keeps you in more games, but isn’t sustainable in the long term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thoughts?

An immediate uptick ... give him a go.

He’ll be good I think. They’ve got enough talent there to play finals 2021 and beyond.

Also the first Fremantle coach who isn’t either a bit of a flog or a complete flog.

So that’s gotta count for something?

Luke Ryan is still loose, soaking up a lot of opposition attacks, their midfielders still push further back than most, which compromises their ability to move the ball quickly. Defenders are still closely clustered. So tell me what I’m missing?

You clearly haven't watched a single game. Luke Ryan is taking the best KPF every week.

Cameron, Hawkins etc.

That is such a bad take from you. We have no KPD anymore. Brennan Cox isn't fit to tie Hamling and Pearces shoe laces (come at Freo fans).

You clearly haven't watched a single game. Luke Ryan is taking the best KPF every week.

Cameron, Hawkins etc.

That is such a bad take from you. We have no KPD anymore. Brennan Cox isn't fit to tie Hamling and Pearces shoe laces (come at Freo fans).

And the rest of the defensive structuring? There’s no discernible difference from previous years with Ross at the helm, which was a big grievance of Freo supporters.

Yes it takes a few years to get some cohesion, but Longmuir inherited a reasonably readymade list and despite the talent at his disposal Freo still play far too conservatively and can’t break games open because of their slow ball movement.

What was the major aim of ousting Ross if the squad wasn’t ready to take the next step and develop a far more offensive side?

And the rest of the defensive structuring? There’s no discernible difference from previous years with Ross at the helm, which was a big grievance of Freo supporters.

Yes it takes a few years to get some cohesion, but Longmuir inherited a reasonably readymade list and despite the talent at his disposal Freo still play far too conservatively and can’t break games open because of their slow ball movement.

What was the major aim of ousting Ross if the squad wasn’t ready to take the next step and develop a far more offensive side?
Already playing good players in natural positions (cera, serong).

It will take time to wean the players off a Ross Lyon defensive mindset. They are going fine.

You’re saying they’re defending differently, but not explaining how.

This thread isn’t about Carlton but I do see certain parallels with the way Brendan Bolton coached. The style of play keeps you in more games, but isn’t sustainable in the long term.

Longmuir's had less than a season. Ryan's having to play as a key defender because our first choice keys have been out all year. He soaks up a lot of opposition attacks because he reads the play so well. Getting the defence right is the first thing you do when building a new game style.

Not sure you should be commenting on anything football related.

You think Luke Ryan is playing the loose man in defence.

Try watching some Fremantle games before trying to get some cheap likes on the interwebz for validation.

Not sure you should be commenting on anything football related.

You think Luke Ryan is playing the loose man in defence.

Try watching some Fremantle games before trying to get some cheap likes on the interwebz for validation.

Very sensitive mate - a bit of projecting, and a nice little insight into your own relationship with validating likes. A classic case of taking one aspect and overplaying it to the extreme.

There was never any hard contention in the thread premise, but quite simply Fremantle are still an overly defensive team who don’t score a whole lot and don’t create opportunities in no small part because of the way they play.

Very sensitive mate - a bit of projecting, and a nice little insight into your own relationship with validating likes. A classic case of taking one aspect and overplaying it to the extreme.

There was never any hard contention in the thread premise, but quite simply Fremantle are still an overly defensive team who don’t score a whole lot and don’t create opportunities in no small part because of the way they play.

How do you know? If you had watched any of our games you would know Ryan is playing as an undersized KPD.

Yet you are trying to break down a game plan? That would require you actually watching a game first.

Longmuir's had less than a season. Ryan's having to play as a key defender because our first choice keys have been out all year. He soaks up a lot of opposition attacks because he reads the play so well. Getting the defence right is the first thing you do when building a new game style.

I partly agree, but Freo aren’t in their first year of a rebuild - they’ve largely been bringing in and nurturing young talent since 2016.

It’s also very easy to play defensively. Drop numbers back, rotate midfielders heavily in defence and allow them to roam deep in defence and take conservative options coming out of defensive - playing tempo footy beyond what is reasonable. This was essentially Brendan Bolton’s blueprint during his tenure, to come back to the Carlton comparison.

Maybe I’m overemphasising how they’re playing, but my understanding was they brought Longmuir in to update their gameplan, implement some more contemporary methodologies and play with some more attacking flair. To me they still look stifled around the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back