Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold Coast Suns academy player Max Pescud putting stunning period of form together

Sounds like we might have a goer here! 70kg in a 185cm frame concerns me a little but if he's known for his speed then he might end up playing like Sexton where he's more of a tall small forward. It also says marking is a strong attribute of his so that's a little confusing for a kid that's only 70kg. He'll need to put more muscle on to genuinely compete at the AFL level. Secco is about 83kg these days so that's probably a good weight to aim for with Pescud. Surfers are playing Sherwood in just under an hour so hopefully Max has a big game and continues to build towards the draft.

Also nice to see another Helensvale High boy coming to the fore. Max would have played a lot of school footy with Budarick for the Vale and would know a lot of the AFLW girls like Heslop, Howarth and Watson from their school days so there are plenty of close connections with us already. Hopefully Helensvale continues to produce high end players for us like PBC has over the last five or so years.

Sounds like we might have a goer here! 70kg in a 185cm frame concerns me a little but if he's known for his speed then he might end up playing like Sexton where he's more of a tall small forward. It also says marking is a strong attribute of his so that's a little confusing for a kid that's only 70kg. He'll need to put more muscle on to genuinely compete at the AFL level. Secco is about 83kg these days so that's probably a good weight to aim for with Pescud. Surfers are playing Sherwood in just under an hour so hopefully Max has a big game and continues to build towards the draft.

Also nice to see another Helensvale High boy coming to the fore. Max would have played a lot of school footy with Budarick for the Vale and would know a lot of the AFLW girls like Heslop, Howarth and Watson from their school days so there are plenty of close connections with us already. Hopefully Helensvale continues to produce high end players for us like PBC has over the last five or so years.
Recent growth spurt according to article.

Recent growth spurt according to article.
That explains it. Although you probably don't want him to grow too much more because he'll start to lose his speed.

We'll get some stats on how he is going in today's game soon. It would appear he hasn't kicked a goal in the Sherwood game yet but they are still in the first quarter.

Broadbeach smashed Wilson Grange.
Looks like former Sun Clay Cameron kicked a bag of 4/5 for Broadbeach in that game. I'm a little surprised he's playing for Broady these days considering he's a Brisbane boy but I guess anything is possible this year without the NEAFL. Gore got a goal as well so you should be happy, Jen.

Will Bella kicked two and was best on for Palm Beach in the Colts this morning so it's nice to see his dominant form continue at the U18 level.

Looks like former Sun Clay Cameron kicked a bag of 4/5 for Broadbeach in that game. I'm a little surprised he's playing for Broady these days considering he's a Brisbane boy but I guess anything is possible this year without the NEAFL. Gore got a goal as well so you should be happy, Jen.

Will Bella kicked two and was best on for Palm Beach in the Colts this morning so it's nice to see his dominant form continue at the U18 level.
Some of those scores.. it said "unknown - goal" like.. how can you not know who kicked goals lol Have to wait for the a full report.
But I noticed Clay Cameron kicked like 4. Seems like a good shot at goal.

They really need an app like the AFL one, and stream every game. Prob dont have the resources for it.

I was at the Sherwood game

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Nice. I live in Melbourne so I can only go via live stream or stats. Or in Gore's case, ask him how he went on insta. Haha.

Looks like Nutting kicked 4 goals too along with Clay Cameron GC2015

I was at the Sherwood game
Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing stats with us. Who do you feel were the standouts for Surfers today?

Also, I think I'm reading this correctly so I'll just say best of luck to both of your boys and hopefully they both make it :thumbsu:

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing stats with us. Who do you feel were the standouts for Broadbeach today? Is Alex Davies likely to play next week?

Also, I think I'm reading this correctly so I'll just say best of luck to both of your boys and hopefully they both make it :thumbsu:
Sherwood played surfers. Broadbeach played wilson grange.
Davies didn't play, wasn't on the player sheet. Not sure why, I thought his injury would have healed by now. But looks like Fyfe played.

Looks like Nutting kicked 4 goals too along with Clay Cameron GC2015
Former Suns dominating in the QAFL. Happy for them but I wish they were dominating for us instead.

Sherwood played surfers. Broadbeach played wilson grange.
Davies didn't play, wasn't on the player sheet. Not sure why, I thought his injury would have healed by now. But looks like Fyfe played.
My mistake. Hopefully Davies comes back next week! Good to see Fyfe played though. Another Helensvale boy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Former Suns dominating in the QAFL. Happy for them but I wish they were dominating for us instead.

My mistake. Hopefully Davies comes back next week! Good to see Fyfe played though. Another Helensvale boy.
Well Nutting never got a debut I don't think? even though he played well in Neafl. But some players need a couple years to find their feet. Hopefully he gets another AFL chance somewhere.

Next week is the last round before finals. I guess it depends if they can find room for him given they are undefeated.

BROADBEACH
Goal Kickers: C. Nutting 4, C. Cameron 4, J. Gore 3, R. Gilmore 2, A. Fyfe, S. Mills, E. Reeves, B. Erickson, J. Fisher
Best Players: A. Fyfe, B. Reeves, M. Lower, S. Weddell, B. Erickson, K. Boakye

Nutting and Clay the classic examples of guys that go well at NEAFL but just quite can't bridge the gap to AFL. Clay in particular had all the tools but it just never clicked. Thought we may have delisted him a bit early though.

These guys should be dominating QAFL footy on their athleticism alone. Add in multiple AFL preseasons and training with the best and it gives them the tools to crush most oppo at that level.

Nathan Colenso (Morningside) [Gold Coast Suns]

Colenso played all across the ground for Morningside and did not seem out of place in any position. He started at half-back and played the role of positioning himself out the back of stoppages so that he could apply strong defensive pressure on attacking opposition midfielders. This was highlighted by a fantastic run-down tackle in the first quarter, which caused a turnover. He then pushed up onto a wing, and in this position he dropped into holes well and always looked to centralise the ball whenever he got the opportunity. Colenso was also clean in congestion and showed courage by taking a mark running back with the flight in the third term. He spent more time up forward throughout the second half, where he used his strong tackling ability to apply pressure and used his size to provide a good option for teammates going inside 50.

Aidan Fyfe (Broadbeach) [Gold Coast Suns]

He does not need a lot of touches to really hurt the opposition, because like Abberley, he is a metres gained player. Fyfe looks to run and carry or take the game on at every opportunity, and is a good size coming off half-back. He can push up to a wing to impact and hold a firm line as an interceptor behind the play. One-on-one he can match it with most and has the athleticism to spin out of trouble as he did in the first term by turning his opponent inside out and kicking inside 50. Sometimes Fyfe can do a bit much with ball-in-hand, and had a Hollywood handball behind his head that missed the target but was luckily cleaned up, but the next overuse by hand was coughed up and turned over trying to run down the middle. Nonetheless, it is Fyfe’s ability to move the ball in transition and run down the wing that sets him apart. He took a couple of bounces in the third term and his movement helped set up a Josh Gore goal. In the final term, Fyfe intercepted off half-back with another one-on-one mark and then hit the scoreboard himself in the 12th minute, intercepting at half-forward this time, taking a run and launching from just inside 50 for it to sail home.

Josh Gore (Broadbeach) [Gold Coast Suns]

Had another solid game playing as a small forward in a big win, and mostly took his chances when they came. He worked up to the wing at times and while he was still a bit fumbly at ground level when under pressure, once he is able to control the ball, he rarely wastes an opportunity. He did well in the first term to gather the ball under pressure and fire out the handball to a teammate, then led out and marked inside 50 to convert his first major of the game from a set shot. His second came 14 minutes into the next term, when he chucked it on his preferred left following a handball receive and did not mind it with an equally-fitting goal celebration to put his team up. Later in the term he looked like creating some magic off the back of some great defensive pressure – corralling an opponent and tackling him over the boundary line and winning the free kick – only to put the ball out on the full from 50m. His third goal was what you could describe as his bread and butter, roving the ball off hands inside 50, Gore reacted quicker than his opponents, got goal side and with an open goalsquare put it through. He had another chance late in the term but his set shot drifted and fell short, then had a final term chance close to goal but copped a “Jack Crisp-like” bounce which went behind him and the defence were able to save the day.

Rhys Nicholls (Labrador) [Gold Coast]

Gold Coast Academy prospect Nicholls was one of the best players for Labrador on Saturday. He found plenty of footy in the first quarter when Maroochydore did most of the attacking, and this set the tone for an outstanding performance. His run off half-back was highly impressive, as he used his express pace to break-away from opponents and create some link-up play with teammates. Nicholls is very evasive and willing to take the game on, and although this meant he got himself into pressure situations at times, his pace and agility got him out of these predicaments more often than not. After getting caught holding the ball late in the second term, one of Nicholls’ coaches (or fans) was overheard saying, “head up Rhys, that’s what we want.” I thought this was great because, being a young player, Nicholls could have otherwise dropped his head after this incident, but instead he continued to take the game on and provide some much-needed run for his side. Nicholls’ spearing left foot kick was very effective and he took some nice intercept marks in defence. He also attacked the footy with aggression, followed up his possessions and applied strong defensive pressure whenever required. Nicholls is a great size for his position and skillset, so he should have a bright future.

Bailey Reeves (Broadbeach) [Gold Coast Suns]

Reeves aided Fyfe as one of the better players on the day, predominantly for his ability to clear the defensive zone with his long raking kick. He always looked to switch play on a number of occasions, and was strong one-on-one such as his intercept mark in the first term. A terrific tackle on the slippery Cashen-Harris allowed Reeves to win the ball back for his side, and in the second term, his long bomb inside 50 set up a goal to Clay Cameron. Given Reeves’ ability to penetrate inside 50, he can afford to bomb long and put it to 15m out and worry defenders into punching which then brings Broadbeach’s crumbers – such as Gore – into play. His strength on the inside of the contest was great, showing his ability to rip the ball away from an opposition player and kick forward. While he has a tendency at times when under pressure to rush his disposal, he will often follow up with a second effort to apply pressure to the opponent or help out a teammate. He had a crack off the right with a snap from 50m good enough but just missed to the right. Reeves had quite a number of inside 50s and pressure acts on the day, and overall had an impressive performance for the Cats.

Academy notes from the last round of the QAFL season before finals.

Nathan Colenso (Morningside) [Gold Coast Suns Academy]

Colenso played up forward for most of the game, and it was a very tough day to be a Morningside forward. The delivery was rushed and rarely to Colenso’s advantage, so he never had much of a chance to make a major impact. To his credit, he did not drop his head and worked very hard to keep providing an option and apply pressure on the opposition. Late in the game he got thrown into the midfield to try and give his side a much-needed spark, and he had some nice moments where he picked the ball up cleanly and dished it out to teammates. When he gets the footy he always looks to move it quickly, which is important at half-forward because it means other forwards can get one-on-one opportunities before the opposition flood their numbers back.

Bailey Reeves (Broadbeach) [Gold Coast Suns Academy]

Reeves played as a defensive wingman and was absolutely outstanding. He has a fantastic work rate and was more than willing to put his head over the footy, take contact and create space for his teammates. Reeves positioned himself well around the contest so that he could impact at clearances but also could spread quickly into open space when his side won the footy. Second and third efforts are a trademark of Reeves’ game, as he never gives up on a contested situation, never stops running and always follows up his possessions.

As the commentators noted during the match, Reeves’ kicking is known to let him down at times. However, his short kicking was reasonably effective in this match and he delivered some very nice inside 50s to the advantage of his teammates. One of these was in the final term, where he demonstrated that he has good vision by finding an open teammate inside on the 45. Reeves also collected some nice half-volleys in congestion and impacted aerial contests with some excellent spoils.

In the final term, Reeves had a great moment that exemplified the type of player he is. He stood under a high-ball on the 50-metre arc and got crashed into by others flying for the mark. While he could have stayed down, he popped straight back up and hunted the footy, immediately winning a contested ball amongst a big pack of players. For his efforts, he won a free kick and then went back and kicked a well-deserved goal. Reeves will be very important for Broadbeach throughout the finals series.

Josh Gore (Broadbeach) [Gold Coast Suns Academy]

Gore had a strong game for the Cats. He is a lively forward that impacted the game in multiple ways, but mainly through his pressure inside 50. Gore used his pace to make the opposition panic when coming out of defence, highlighted in the second quarter when he laid two strong aggressive tackles to win holding the ball decisions. He also used his pace to consistently get to ideal crumbing positions and break away from opponents when he got the ball. Gore showed great composure in the final term when he quickly got off the ground with the ball in hand to turn, deliver a short kick inside 50 and set up a goal.

Aidan Fyfe (Broadbeach) [Gold Coast Suns Academy]

Fyfe played at half-back for the Cats and had a solid game. He was quiet in the first quarter, but this was mainly because the ball barely went to that end of the ground. In the second, he lifted to apply some outstanding pressure and impact aerial contests in the defensive 50. He regularly went up to spoil as the third-man-in to help his fellow defenders combat the opposition forwards’ marking abilities. Fyfe was very clean in the second half, particularly when picking the ball up in congestion and handballing to teammates. Although the service to Morningside’s forwards was not great, Fyfe proved very difficult to out-mark and looked very comfortable in one-on-one contests.

Max Pescud (Surfers Paradise) [Gold Coast Suns Academy]

Pescud was one of Surfers Paradise’s standout players on Saturday. He kicked his team’s first goal after producing a nice lead up at the ball carrier and taking the mark with strong hands. In the second term, he showed poise with some clean takes and quick hands on the up to teammates. He also took a spectacular hanger with a great leap in this term. Although this was definitely one for the highlight reel, he unfortunately missed the set shot at goal. This was a theme for Pescud on the day, as he kicked two goals but could have easily had five or six if he had kicked straight. Regardless, he was very lively up forward by consistently hunting the ball and applying plenty of pressure on the opposition. He also took a nice intercept mark in the last quarter, worked hard on the lead and demonstrated that he has good speed.

Scouting notes from the weekend' QAFL semi finals

Morningside.

#32 Nathan Colenso

Colenso had an outstanding game at half-forward for Morningside. He started the match with a beautiful front and centre crumb on the 50, and then quickly gave the ball on the up to a teammate running past. This early possession gave him some confidence, and it led to him flourishing for the rest of the match. His game style is very well suited to finals footy, as he shows a lot of aggression towards the contest and his opponents when they have the ball. This was highlighted when he laid a strong tackle in the forward half to earn a holding the ball decision in the first term. Colenso is a great long kick of the footy, as shown when he nailed a set shot from just inside the 50-metre arc. He followed this up just moments later by setting up another goal with a lovely weighted kick to a teammate. Throughout the day, Colenso applied some strong forward pressure and used his strength to shrug off tacklers and keep his feet after contact. His body use in marking contests was fantastic and he linked up well with other forwards, including Coleman and Liam Dwyer, to set up scoring opportunities. Colenso had a passage of play in the second quarter that was definitely one for the highlight reel. It started at half-back when he took the ball cleanly, drew an oncoming tackler and fed the handball inside to a teammate. He then pushed hard forward to get on the end of the play and kick an important goal for his side on the run. Colenso was a strong contributor for Morningside and he will be hoping to thrive once again in next week’s decider.

BROADBEACH:

#31 Aidan Fyfe

Fyfe is an athletic half-back that played his usual intercepting role beautifully for Broadbeach. He has a great leap and strong hands, and he sits off his opponent while getting into great positions behind the play so he can use these attributes to stop the opposition’s forward bursts. This was evident just before quarter time when he took a brilliant intercept mark in the middle of the ground and delivered the ball nicely to forward Jordan Moncrieff. Although Moncrieff’s marking attempt was well spoiled by a defender, the play still led to Broadbeach’s fourth goal of the day. Fyfe is a good ball user in defence, as he has an effective left foot kick and can also deliver cleanly on his right. He is a crafty player as well, which was shown when he cleverly snapped a pass around an opponent to find a teammate on the wing in the second quarter.

#35 Josh Gore

Gore was very lively up forward once again for the Cats. He applied some great forward pressure by using his electric pace and strong tackling ability. At forward 50 stoppages he frequently burst through the contest at speed and took opposition players with him, thus creating space for his teammates. Gore was also good at pushing up to the wings to provide a lead-up option for teammates coming out of defence. He was confident taking marks in the hands and his kicking was quite efficient. Gore only kicked one goal for the day, but it was an absolute gem in the second quarter. He drifted off his opponent into the pocket to take a nice mark, then he went back and kicked a difficult checkside from tight on the boundary. This gave Broadbeach a healthy lead and they never looked back.

#56 Bailey Reeves

Reeves had a solid impact for his team on the wing. He is one of the hardest runners offensively and defensively in the Broadbeach side, and his willingness to produce second, third and fourth efforts was on show once again in this game. This was particularly evident in the second quarter, when Reeves worked hard to get across and commit an important spoil inside his side’s attacking 50. He also regularly picked the ball up cleanly, held his own in marking contests and attacked the footy with ferocity. Although he did make some disposal errors as the day wore on, he never dropped his head and always worked to redeem himself at the next contest.

Good way to kick off Grand Final day with Palm Beach Currumbin defeating Broadbeach in the Colts GF by 20 points. Will Bella played in that game and kicked a goal but was probably more influential than the single goal suggests.

Now we have the reserves GF with Broadbeach taking on Morningside. A few of our academy players are playing for Broady in the ressies GF as well.

I'm really looking forward to the senior GF this afternoon. Hopefully the younger guys can play well because this is their last chance to impress before the draft. Big day for Josh Gore who seems like he could be a legitimate chance to be drafted this year. Fyfe might be a chance as well if he can play well in this game.

Good way to kick off Grand Final day with Palm Beach Currumbin defeating Broadbeach in the Colts GF by 20 points. Will Bella played in that game and kicked a goal but was probably more influential than the single goal suggests.

Now we have the reserves GF with Broadbeach taking on Morningside. A few of our academy players are playing for Broady in the ressies GF as well.

I'm really looking forward to the senior GF this afternoon. Hopefully the younger guys can play well because this is their last chance to impress before the draft. Big day for Josh Gore who seems like he could be a legitimate chance to be drafted this year. Fyfe might be a chance as well if he can play well in this game.
Will Bella also won the BnF for the colts, I read.

Hey buddy. I'm heading up now to the GF. Is there any Covid-19 restrictions re crowd or entry?
Regards
Go Cats (so weird saying that l hate Geelong)

Morningside lead by 8 points going into halftime. It's been a seesawing affair so far.

Both Gore and Colenso have been lively.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back