How many of the next five games do you think we will win?

How many victories in the next five games?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow Biden is $1.75. That's good odds for the bloke based on polling to win the most one sided election in fifty years.

Delirium is infectious. The population is vacuous and you have to love people who believe in polls so badly because they're so desperate to believe anything.

Tigers...W...Eagles are better and will set the tone for the hub
Bombers...L...Trap Game
Bulldogs...W...Jump 'em then coast to a 12-18 margin final
Saints...W...Hard won match by a sliver
Roos...W...Too competitive for comfort

8 in a row is a bloody awesome effort. In review. The two best wins were against the pies and geelong. The rest were against bottom 8 teams.

This Thursday's game will tell us where the teams truely at.

Too harsh to say anything less than a win is a fail, however we cannot lose in the same vein as the first 3 weeks in the hub.

4 wins is the endgame. 4 wins gives us Top 4 regardless of what clubs around us do.

Get it done, Simmo.

We need a few other results to fall our way as well as winning out

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we win out, we can't possibly not be top 4. But top 2 is out of the question unless other results go our way in a big way.

And again as with last year, Richmond has stopped our chances of getting top 2. And like after that loss in '19, I'm not optimistic about our flag chances this year. It's unfortunate because we're one of the few teams that would have gotten a genuine advantage finishing top two this year.

God, it's going to be absolutely wrenching if the GF actually happens in WA and we aren't in it. The humanity!

If we win out, we can't possibly not be top 4. But top 2 is out of the question unless other results go our way in a big way.

And again as with last year, Richmond has stopped our chances of getting top 2. And like after that loss in '19, I'm not optimistic about our flag chances this year. It's unfortunate because we're one of the few teams that would have gotten a genuine advantage finishing top two this year.

God, it's going to be absolutely wrenching if the GF actually happens in WA and we aren't in it. The humanity!
Honestly this season for the first time top 2 looks like it won't even matter as we have no choice where the finals will be played.

If AFL decided Optus is a suitable venue we could be playing there finishing 4th against the side that finished 1st.
Really a year where the home ground advantage matters to where the hubs are.

Brisbane in box seat for premiership. Haven't moved at all.
Will we get finals in Perth is the question.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I am not trying to sound funny or sarcastic but if we play with same intensity as we did against tigers, we win all our remaining games fairly comfortably. I will go one further, I was impressed how we traded blows with tigers for most of the game.That would hold up against any other team in the comp including port, Cats and Brisbane.

The challenge is to make sure we do not drop off too much. I understand game day intensity is a temperance to the opposition and what they bring, but I am confident we should pass this challenge. Post Tigers game, as a fan, these are a the kind of games that I am not totally devastated when we lose cuz we showed up, the effort was there, opposition was just a little better on the day.

Honestly this season for the first time top 2 looks like it won't even matter as we have no choice where the finals will be played.

If AFL decided Optus is a suitable venue we could be playing there finishing 4th against the side that finished 1st.
Really a year where the home ground advantage matters to where the hubs are.

Brisbane in box seat for premiership. Haven't moved at all.
Will we get finals in Perth is the question.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The AFL has pretty much said there will be finals in Perth and Adelaide.
So it's a huge advantage for Port and possibly us.

IMO, Brisbane are well and truly behind Richmond and Geelong, even at home.

I am not trying to sound funny or sarcastic but if we play with same intensity as we did against tigers, we win all our remaining games fairly comfortably. I will go one further, I was impressed how we traded blows with tigers for most of the game.That would hold up against any other team in the comp including port, Cats and Brisbane.

The challenge is to make sure we do not drop off too much. I understand game day intensity is a temperance to the opposition and what they bring, but I am confident we should pass this challenge. Post Tigers game, as a fan, these are a the kind of games that I am not totally devastated when we lose cuz we showed up, the effort was there, opposition was just a little better on the day.
I thought our intensity was the area that let us down vs the Tigers. Their skills in general play didn't impress me at all, but what they did do was out-will us. They worked harder, and they physically bullied us.
So I don't share your optimism.

I also don't buy the narrative in the media that we were a team flying high on form at the time we played them. It's lazy. Yes we'd won 8 straight, and showed some great form along the way, but by the last few games ours was not the best footy in the comp. A small number of individuals making up for several underperformers is not a sustainable brand.

If we don't lift a gear immediately then each one of the next 3 games is losable IMO.
Essendon will take a sniff of finals prospects and plenty of confidence into this first one, and we will take a lot of injuries & fatigue. We drop that one and suddenly it's "oh the Eagles are fine at home but they scare nobody in the hub", and the Dogs & Saints both have the type of energy that can trouble us.

So all the talk I see about us not necessarily having to win our remaining games to finish top 4 ... well yeah mathematically that could be true but psychologically I don't want us going there, and I really don't want our players going there.
I want us in the finals and not just there making up the numbers. I want us in there to do some damage.
So the next 3 games determine whether the Tigers was a very forgivable bump on the road, or the start of our decline. They're all teams we should beat if we're for real.
Bombers game is huge for us IMO. It will reveal whether the desire is there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought our intensity was the area that let us down vs the Tigers. Their skills in general play didn't impress me at all, but what they did do was out-will us. They worked harder, and they physically bullied us.
So I don't share your optimism.

I also don't buy the narrative in the media that we were a team flying high on form at the time we played them. It's lazy. Yes we'd won 8 straight, and showed some great form along the way, but by the last few games ours was not the best footy in the comp. A small number of individuals making up for several underperformers is not a sustainable brand.

If we don't lift a gear immediately then each one of the next 3 games is losable IMO.
Essendon will take a sniff of finals prospects and plenty of confidence into this first one, and we will take a lot of injuries & fatigue. We drop that one and suddenly it's "oh the Eagles are fine at home but they scare nobody in the hub", and the Dogs & Saints both have the type of energy that can trouble us.

So all the talk I see about us not necessarily having to win our remaining games to finish top 4 ... well yeah mathematically that could be true but psychologically I don't want us going there, and I really don't want our players going there.
I want us in the finals and not just there making up the numbers. I want us in there to do some damage.
So the next 3 games determine whether the Tigers was a very forgivable bump on the road, or the start of our decline. They're all teams we should beat if we're for real.
Bombers game is huge for us IMO. It will reveal whether the desire is there.

No offence but I think you have a terrible attitude and outlook as a fan. I can tell nothing satisfies you. The fact you even questioned our form and winning streak of 8 games in this short season( or any season) as an insignificant achievement says a lot about you as a fan. I am almost certain that back in 2018 when we lost Gaff and NN , you would have for sure closed curtains for Eagles and possibly predicted first round exist.A wise man once told me" I rather be optimistic and wrong than pessimistic and right".

Furthermore, not only you are terrible fan, you also respectfully have zero clue about the game if you thought Tigers display against us was not impressive. So not only your own teams achievement is not good enough, you also refuse to acknowledge when an opposition was better on the day and somehow down play them too??

Relax a little champ, go and re watch the game, we did not get bullied, we played well, traded blows and in patches they were better which ultimately lead to them getting the W. Does this mean we are a lock for upcoming games?? of course not, but pre game we are favourites against every team in the league and 50/50 against tigers.

No offence but I think you have a terrible attitude and outlook as a fan. I can tell nothing satisfies you. The fact you even questioned our form and winning streak of 8 games in this short season( or any season) as an insignificant achievement says a lot about you as a fan. I am almost certain that back in 2018 when we lost Gaff and NN , you would have for sure closed curtains for Eagles and possibly predicted first round exist.A wise man once told me" I rather be optimistic and wrong than pessimistic and right".

Furthermore, not only you are terrible fan, you also respectfully have zero clue about the game if you thought Tigers display against us was not impressive. So not only your own teams achievement is not good enough, you also refuse to acknowledge when an opposition was better on the day and somehow down play them too??

Relax a little champ, go and re watch the game, we did not get bullied, we played well, traded blows and in patches they were better which ultimately lead to them getting the W. Does this mean we are a lock for upcoming games?? of course not, but pre game we are favourites against every team in the league and 50/50 against tigers.
I do acknowledge that I don't drink as much blue Kool-Aid as some others here do, and that keeping a tenuous grip on reality makes me a bad fan in the eyes of plenty.

Not sure where you got that I didn't think Richmond weren't impressive or better on the day though. That's simply ridiculous. Did you even read what I wrote, or did you just instinctively fire back a defensive response because my vibe was clearly not "we're so great, everything is dandy"?
They're the best team in the comp IMO and were indeed better than us on the day. You won't have seen me blaming umpires or flights or whatever other lame excuses for our loss, so tell me again how I'm not giving them credit? I just think their skills weren't the greatest and that they still have further scope for improvement, so if we want to beat them this season we may need to be even better than they were on Thursday. IMO there is a lot more to winning a game of footy than just having clean skills. You're free to disagree of course.

And nothing satisfies me? LOL, I'd love to know where you get that from. As a member of the Perth Lynx through the 2000s I've got plenty of perspective of what it's like to support a perennially outmatched team.
If you're offended by me preferring a 2018 type season over a 2019 type season then I guess I apologise for having high standards. I just find it hard not to when we have such a quality core of players. Being wasteful is just not in my nature.

I do acknowledge that I don't drink as much blue Kool-Aid as some others here do, and that keeping a tenuous grip on reality makes me a bad fan in the eyes of plenty.

Not sure where you got that I didn't think Richmond weren't impressive or better on the day though. That's simply ridiculous. Did you even read what I wrote, or did you just instinctively fire back a defensive response because my vibe was clearly not "we're so great, everything is dandy"?
They're the best team in the comp IMO and were indeed better than us on the day. You won't have seen me blaming umpires or flights or whatever other lame excuses for our loss, so tell me again how I'm not giving them credit? I just think their skills weren't the greatest and that they still have further scope for improvement, so if we want to beat them this season we may need to be even better than they were on Thursday. IMO there is a lot more to winning a game of footy than just having clean skills. You're free to disagree of course.

And nothing satisfies me? LOL, I'd love to know where you get that from. As a member of the Perth Lynx through the 2000s I've got plenty of perspective of what it's like to support a perennially outmatched team.
If you're offended by me preferring a 2018 type season over a 2019 type season then I guess I apologise for having high standards. I just find it hard not to when we have such a quality core of players. Being wasteful is just not in my nature.

I read the entire post mate. This is what you said about tigers " Their skills in general play didn't impress me at all" I am using your own quote. Hopefully this will be enough for you.

This is what you said about our winning streak: " I also don't buy the narrative in the media that we were a team flying high on form at the time we played them. It's lazy. Yes we'd won 8 straight, and showed some great form along the way, but by the last few games ours was not the best footy in the comp. A small number of individuals making up for several underperformers is not a sustainable brand" . Last time I checked fans used to complain when their team lost. This is a definition of terrible attitude. You complain cuz in your view the 8 game winning streak wasn't convincing enough. I have news for you, you are a pessimist. You need to relax and enjoy watching your football team and celebrate wins. We were not wasteful, we played youngsters in XON and Bailey, we played Rotham and Brander who are relatively new to AFL level, we played Hutch with literally zero preparation or match fitness. We had Yeo and redden out, JK got knocked out early. Allen and Waterman were absent. I think you need to change they way you look at your team. It is embarrassing to see our own fans undermining our 8 games winning streak and our performance against tigers.

I read the entire post mate. This is what you said about tigers " Their skills in general play didn't impress me at all" I am using your own quote. Hopefully this will be enough for you.
Yeah, and I stand by that. The "in general play" disclaimer was because their finishing in front of goal was excellent (also helped by us giving up some pretty easy shots). But in general free play I didn't think the Tigers were that great. But willpower, toughness & team cohesiveness allowed them to overpower us despite their less-than-perfect skills. When we made the same mistakes we were punished more severely for them.

This is what you said about our winning streak: " I also don't buy the narrative in the media that we were a team flying high on form at the time we played them. It's lazy. Yes we'd won 8 straight, and showed some great form along the way, but by the last few games ours was not the best footy in the comp. A small number of individuals making up for several underperformers is not a sustainable brand"

Last time I checked fans used to complain when their team lost. This is a definition of terrible attitude.
You're projecting. You're inserting an incorrect interpretation to my words.
I am in no way whatsoever complaining about going 8-0. I enjoyed them immensely, especially the home games. Was great to be back watching live footy, even better watching wins, and even better again getting a party time win vs the Pies with JK bagging 7 & NicNat dazzling the entire nation, and the even more deeply satisfying win vs an actual quality team in Geelong. Those 2 were the highlights of the season for me.
No complaints whatsoever.

What am saying is that by the end of the 8-0 streak I didn't think we were playing the best football in the AFL despite us having the best active winning streak. I'm assuming you can see the difference between those 2 things.
Winning is great and all but when you keep adding and adding inexperienced players of varying quality, it's only natural that things are going to decline. Well to me as a shitty fan who hates my team it's natural anyway. I don't find it shameful to admit that O'Neill no Elliot Yeo just at the moment, Reid is no Rioli, and we don't even know who we're supposed be comparing Brander to. I don't even know if he knows. We were still good enough to get away with it against mediocre opponents, and every 4 points we got was valuable, but it got us in the end when we played someone good. Most people apparently saw it coming considering the Tigers went in as favourites, but I guess acknowledging reality is a no-no in the eyes of some people in here.

You complain cuz in your view the 8 game winning streak wasn't convincing enough.
No, that again is your (mis)interpretation of my post.
The winning streak was great. I'm not complaining about a single part of it. Injury lemons hit us, and we made lemonade as best we could by giving games to some fresh blood.
But by the end of the 8 games we were not flying as beautifully as the media liked to portray it for their narrative of "Tigers knock off the premiership favs"

I have news for you, you are a pessimist. You need to relax and enjoy watching your football team and celebrate wins.
Thanks for your diagnosis and for caring. I thought I had celebrated the wins plenty, including on here actually, but evidently not.

We were not wasteful, we played youngsters in XON and Bailey, we played Rotham and Brander who are relatively new to AFL level, we played Hutch with literally zero preparation or match fitness. We had Yeo and redden out, JK got knocked out early. Allen and Waterman were absent.
Yeah, no sh!t. So if you can acknowledge all that, how come I'm such a terrible fan for taking all those things into consideration in my assessment that we weren't exactly the same "form team of the comp" going into the Tigers game that you seem to insist we were????

I think you need to change they way you look at your team. It is embarrassing to see our own fans undermining our 8 games winning streak and our performance against tigers.
I can only laugh at this weird perception you have of my thoughts on the winning streak. You've invented a whole narrative out of literally nothing.
I think you need to change the way you look inside other people's minds, because your psychic ability needs more development time put into it than Ainsworth's ball drop.

As for the Tigers game, we were a level below them for the majority of the game. We were the crumbly wall and they were the tide.
To me that was quite predictable because I can watch games with both eyes, and I can acknowledge when another team is playing better than us. So losing to them was far from shattering or disappointing to me. It is the result I expected, so I wasn't on here melting about it or making up excuses.
Even with an under-strength side (which the Tigers had too, of course), things that are still under our own control are our hardness at the contest when we don't have the footy, and our plan once we do have it. With the former I felt we did a poor job of matching them, and with the latter they did a great job of disrupting us both with their setup and with their immediate pressure.

Oops I just said there was something we weren't perfect with. Another "terrible fan" moment from me.

-----

[Edited to add] Executive summary of this tl;dr conversation:

we win all our remaining games fairly comfortably.
So the next 3 games ... They're all teams we should beat if we're for real.
No offence but I think you have a terrible attitude and outlook as a fan. I can tell nothing satisfies you.
:drunk:

Last edited:
Go Eagles!
ecb776661b47289913b9ca636368cdb8.jpg

Hahahaha you think Biden has any chance winning.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

I'm starting to get a sinking feeling about this next block of games.

I think we'll beat the bombers, but maybe only just as our fwd line has been halved.

Hopefully get a few back for Dogs, but it will be a 9 day break for them vs 5 days for us.

The next game, makes no sense from a scheduling point of view other than being absolutely fcked over by the AFL. Both teams coming off a 4 day break. Another danger game, due to being stuffed. Can only hope that the last round we get the last game to have decent break and at home.

Starting to feel we might miss top 4, realistically for us almost impossible to win it outside top 4.

I get the whole, if we can’t beat the bombers then we’re not good enough for top 4, flag etc etc, doesn’t take away the fact that I’m nervous about this game and will be pissed if we lose. Just like every week

I get the whole, if we can’t beat the bombers then we’re not good enough for top 4, flag etc etc, doesn’t take away the fact that I’m nervous about this game and will be pissed if we lose. Just like every week
I will be pissed if we lose too, but barring catastrophe or mental weakness I cant see it happening. Essendon will come out firing and may even go into quarter time in front, but we'll get this done and get it done comfortably. They arent a good side.

Back