Fremantle Under Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Freo have shown a lot of good signs this year

I expect them to jump right up the ladder next year

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

I partly agree, but Freo aren’t in their first year of a rebuild - they’ve largely been bringing in and nurturing young talent since 2016.

It’s also very easy to play defensively. Drop numbers back, rotate midfielders heavily in defence and allow them to roam deep in defence and take conservative options coming out of defensive - playing tempo footy beyond what is reasonable. This was essentially Brendan Bolton’s blueprint during his tenure, to come back to the Carlton comparison.

Maybe I’m overemphasising how they’re playing, but my understanding was they brought Longmuir in to update their gameplan, implement some more contemporary methodologies and play with some more attacking flair. To me they still look stifled around the ground.

Longmuir's game looks different to Ross. More of a web it seems than Ross's tight in at the ball game style. Given how open GWS forward line was on occasion, they don't seem to be sitting back.

Doesn't matter if the rebuild is four years old. The players are learning a new system.

Longmuir's game looks different to Ross. More of a web it seems than Ross's tight in at the ball game style. Given how open GWS forward line was on occasion, they don't seem to be sitting back.

Doesn't matter if the rebuild is four years old. The players are learning a new system.

I can’t see an Eagles 2015 style gameplan holding up in a modern context. Teams are far more intent on pushing small forwards up to create quick turnovers through the middle, which was what GWS did today

That and coaches micromanaging player roles and switching matchups so you create situations where a player like Jake Riccardi can kick 4.

I think the days of playing perfect football are over, and this has been one of the reasons Collingwood (JLO’s old club) are in decline.

Last edited:
I can’t see an Eagles 2015 style gameplan holding up in a modern context. Teams are far more intent on pushing small forwards up to create quick turnovers through the middle, which was what GWS did today

That and coaches micromanaging player roles and switching matchups so you create situations where a player like Jake Riccardi can kick 4.

I think the days of playing perfect football are over, and this has been one of the reasons Collingwood (JLO’s old club) are in decline.
I think you'll find rolling zones are pretty common.

I like the coach backing his younger players in the midfield but question the use of the best player in the AFL to influence the result of a game.

In what we’re deeming a development year, it’s not the worst idea to give young guys plenty of midfield opportunity.

I do think though he’s kept Fyfe forward at points he really should be in the midfield. JLO cost Fremantle the game against Carlton by stubbornly refusing to move Fyfe into the midfield as we were dominating around the ground.

You can put it down to inexperience, but it was clear he needed to to pull the trigger.

In what we’re deeming a development year, it’s not the worst idea to give young guys plenty of midfield opportunity.

I do think though he’s kept Fyfe forward at points he really should be in the midfield. JLO cost Fremantle the game against Carlton by stubbornly refusing to move Fyfe into the midfield as we were dominating around the ground.

You can put it down to inexperience, but it was clear he needed to to pull the trigger.
Yep. The comparison with the Carlton coach is an interesting one. It seems he doesn’t want to rely on his older and better players to win a game at the expense of a win. Teague seems to want to win more. I prefer the latter strategy.

I think you'll find rolling zones are pretty common.

Of course, but clustering the defence hasn’t shown to be effective over the past 5 years.

Hawthorn were exceptional at it during their period of dominance, but they’d always execute the perfect kick coming out of defence which would completely breakdown their opponents defensive structure.

Unless Freo start being braver with their ball use and actively work across the ground to set these plays up it leaves them playing stagnant football.

It did seem a strange decision, but if he wanted to see how the midfield would look with Fyfe forward inn a year when we aren't going to win a premiership then maybe there was some method to his madness. I think it was a mistake though and might have cost us a win. Probably not, Carlton should have won by more.

Of course, but clustering the defence hasn’t shown to be effective over the past 5 years.

Hawthorn were exceptional at it during their period of dominance, but they’d always execute the perfect kick coming out of defence which would completely breakdown their opponents defensive structure.

Unless Freo start being braver with their ball use and actively work across the ground to set these plays up it leaves them playing stagnant football.
Yeah, sure.

Probably progressed more in 6 months then Carlton have in their last 10 years rebuilding.. Funny a Carlton fan would post this.

JLo is doing just fine. 2 points ahead of that Gold Coast that practically all of AFL were raving about 2-3 months ago.
Good structure in place, a huge injury list. Luke Ryan is our key defender ffs.
Blooded some youngsters- Young, Serong, Henry. Brayshaw slowly becoming A grader, Cerra close behind. Good mix of experience and youth. One player over 30.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Dockers faithful will be rolling out the excuses but we’ll never get 6-7 games in a row at home again ever and we took a pretty big step backwards today

Horrible performance, don’t care we couldn’t beat GWS but the method was shocking

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

A fair bit

We havent seen Mundy/Walters/Fyfe in the midfield full time, Seen guys like Cerra/Brayshaw/Serong, Who are all under 21 logging massive minutes. While Fyfe/Walters up forward. While this wont win you games this year, It will in 2 years having those options.

We've seen a lot of bad Skill errors but they have only had 9 months to adjust to Lyons old plan

We've seen L Ryan become absolutely Elite this season, He's also playing out of position today, So hes sacrificing what he's one of the best in the league at to be a key defender giving up 10cm and 10 kilos.

Brayshaw/Cerra well onto their way, Conor Blakely off the flank and more into the middle building his game

Playing list they have pushed out McCarthy, Hogan maybe gone as well. Matera, take them out, you have 8 players over 100 games, Thats bloody young

Huge signs off the field where they failed last 3 seasons to really get some solid off-field assistant coaches at the high level, Sure you have guys like Hayden/Hale who are rated, but not at that point yet where they are rated through the entire AFL and would be poached for more senior roles. Longmuir/Bell have a few things planned so the assistant coaches will be better

Dont ask "Hey its been like a weird shortened covid season and freo arent magically better" They've done some huge things off-field, They have nabbed Serong (I have him as the rising star this year), Frederick, Sturt, and quite a few other players, Still missing their two best key defenders in Logue/Pearce and still lacking a bit of creativity in getting the ball forward, But its absolutely promising for freo, I think they'll be right up there in 2 years

The Cerra/Brayshaw/Serong midfield looks absolute bullshit good for the next 10 years.

He will bring Freo a flag in a few years wish we noticed that it was him and not bucks who turned us around in 2018,2019
If it was US sport and Bucks wasn't a favourite son and seemingly a great person these days I think Longmuir would be coaching Collingwood.

The Toronto Raptors with Nick Nurse as coach reminds me of a similar situation.

But we have no forwardline apart from Taberner who is having a good season. But he is no Pavlich when it comes to 1-man forwardlines...

Getting Hogan on the field and into form, talls could be fine but with about no depth. And we somehow totally failed to get any small/medium who is consistently dangerous around goals.
Why was Hogan being trialled as a defender if the need for another forward alongside Taberner is so dire?

They were doing this under Lyon too. They haven’t lost any players over the off-season and have only brought in more young talent on top of the plethora of young guns already on their list.

Every team has been impacted by COVID. They’ve also had the added benefit of playing more home games than others.

How have freo not lost any players over the off season? I think Brad Hill and Ed Langdon would have something to say about this.

I don’t understand why you would be so confident on your knowledge of a game plan having watched less than 25% of a team all year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back