Player Watch #9 Will Hayward

OJ091219MW2517.JPG

Will Hayward
Spritely Sydney Swans forward Will Hayward enjoyed a rocketing start to his career as he became the 11th-youngest player in the AFL era to reach 50 career goals in 2018. The 2016 draftee’s nippy pace and cunning goal awareness have made him a dangerous option in coach John Longmire’s forward line. A broken jaw and a persistent hip injury limited Hayward to just 12 goals in 13 senior games in 2019, but the South Australian is attacking the 2020 campaign on the back of his first full pre-season. Don’t be surprised if the exciting Swan finds himself on a wing this year.

Will Hayward
DOB: 26 October 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #21, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Walkerville (SA)/North Adelaide (SANFL)

melbournehammer

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
getting the goal kicking yips last year has changed him as a player. He came into the side brimful of confidence, kicked goals etc. Now he appears to worry constantly about whether he is going to kick the goal so he prefers to push his kicks rather than actually just kick it.

He took a good mark at half forward flank yesterday and reid was one out in the goal square. he waited and waited until reid was 1 versus 4 and then kicked it to the same spot he could have kicked it initially

i'd play him off half back for the rest of the season and have him just kicking goals under pressure all off season. Like kick this or do 2 laps. Kick this or you're cleaning the toilets (just joking but you get the idea). He has to make the most of his opportunities

getting the goal kicking yips last year has changed him as a player. He came into the side brimful of confidence, kicked goals etc. Now he appears to worry constantly about whether he is going to kick the goal so he prefers to push his kicks rather than actually just kick it.

He took a good mark at half forward flank yesterday and reid was one out in the goal square. he waited and waited until reid was 1 versus 4 and then kicked it to the same spot he could have kicked it initially

i'd play him off half back for the rest of the season and have him just kicking goals under pressure all off season. Like kick this or do 2 laps. Kick this or you're cleaning the toilets (just joking but you get the idea). He has to make the most of his opportunities

agree re those yips, never quite recovered

I thought the yips were due to his hip injury but seems to be all in the mind now

I thought the yips were due to his hip injury but seems to be all in the mind now

To be fair in a weird season he's done okay in a number of roles. Weirdly I've liked him more behind the ball not as a forward.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
agree re those yips, never quite recovered

Thought he lost confidence after coming back from the broken jaw, I remember the game it happened, was a scary incident

I'm really hoping things kick into gear for Will this season... He showed good potential but then had a run of injuries including the broken jaw.

I think with the steady increase in body size, the experience gained, and a full preseason, this year might be his chance to shine. At 22, I'm expecting to start seeing good involvement and solid improvement. I still think he has what it takes...

elastic

Cometh the moment
Jul 24, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm hoping he can lock down that half forward role as there is a position there for him. Probably needs to play a defensive type role but make some opportunities for himself and kick straight when he can. Although he's a good mark he is never going to be a target but still needs to become an excellent one on one player. Otherwise there are players like Campbell and Gulden looking to take that position who are also able to play in the midfield.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
There are not many 22 yr old mid sized forwards already going into their 5th season with an average of a goal/game. He's fine. A talented player who will get much better as he grows and as the team improves around him, as will many of our young players.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
I'm really hoping things kick into gear for Will this season... He showed good potential but then had a run of injuries including the broken jaw.

I think with the steady increase in body size, the experience gained, and a full preseason, this year might be his chance to shine. At 22, I'm expecting to start seeing good involvement and solid improvement. I still think he has what it takes...
He had a rotten year with injuries. Wills got a lovely boot on him so I'm hoping he stays fit this year and really hits the scoreboard for us.

Oct 14, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Dont think we will have any player on our list kick 30 this year.

Come on down Sam Reid.

Hmmm, maybe not. Or maybe....

I have a decent feeling about our options up forward. Maybe no one reaches 30 but I reckon we're a great chance to have at least 7 or 8 into double figures and a couple of them in the 25+ bucket.

...gee I'd love to see a forward of ours rip a game to pieces though. Any chance of teleporting Lockett (circa '95) into our team. Those were the days, none of this double figures in a season rubbish, just knock out the double figures in a lazy afternoon at the SCG.

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Dont think we will have any player on our list kick 30 this year.
booooo.. haha
Its all about delivery and we saw a fair few glimpses last year of the Swans moving the ball very quickly into the forward line. Hoping for more this year
If Buddys fit (a big if) he could kick 50'
Theres no reason why Paps and Heeney can't kick 30+
Ill also back an injury free Reid to kick 30+
Then there's Haywood.. 30+ why not?
what about the 2nd small.. a combo of Ronke, Wicks and Gulden.. 30+ ??
The wingers.. Blakely, Stephens, McInerny, Dawson, Campbell.. 30+ ??
the half backs.. Dawson, Campbell, 30+ (haha,, too many rums now)

Troystenvic

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
booooo.. haha
Its all about delivery and we saw a fair few glimpses last year of the Swans moving the ball very quickly into the forward line. Hoping for more this year
If Buddys fit (a big if) he could kick 50'
Theres no reason why Paps and Heeney can't kick 30+
Ill also back an injury free Reid to kick 30+
Then there's Haywood.. 30+ why not?
what about the 2nd small.. a combo of Ronke, Wicks and Gulden.. 30+ ??
The wingers.. Blakely, Stephens, McInerny, Dawson, Campbell.. 30+ ??
the half backs.. Dawson, Campbell, 30+ (haha,, too many rums now)

Are you trying to say we will have an average score of 100 + this year.

Are you trying to say we will have an average score of 100 + this year.
We'll average 70 (62 last year when adjusting for full length games) if we are lucky

Back