Autopsy Round 14, 2020: Port Adelaide 11.7.73 def Sydney 7.5.47

Remove this Banner Ad

Rubbish Ted. You are continuously giving the club and out for poor talent identification and development based on Buddy's contract. Sorry but is bullshit. Nobody wants to ****ing come to the club anyway. We have a bigger stench to us than North. You could offer Dustin Martin 2 million a year and he would ****ing laugh at you.

Last edited:
Stephens is built like an under 18 footballer and still plays like one. He has shown nothing at this stage. It is first year and he deserves time. He may be a good player in the future. In saying that our recent drafting does nothing to say he will be a good player.
True, but don't you think he looks better than Bell

On a serious note, if we were really in such a bad way, we don't pull out wins as we did against Hawks & GWS in among the bad games.
We are just not that bad. We have bad quarters of football but then we have two great quarters of football. It absolutely reeks of immaturity from the playing group & I get the impatience but we need to look a bit deeper than a bad performance here & there.

I'm not trying to swing people over to my way of thinking but after watching a game live I am quite disillusioned but after watching a replay knowing what happens, you see a s**t quarter of footy for what it is. Just a real s**t quarter of footy from a developing group who at least get the game plan & are not unhappy to be playing it but when their timing is way out of sync between mids & forwards, you just have to take a step back & realise that it just didn't work on that particular day due to playing against a more mature team who has been playing the gameplan for a few years or just a highly talented team.

We are not that bad & if we were, we just would not have beaten GWS the way we did. That day it clicked. Against Freo we were poor. This is the season to learn I guess & it's the best season to learn to have fewer bad quarters & more great quarters.
If Port miss a couple in the second Q & we nail a couple that we missed in the third & perhaps even get one goal in the second where we were scoreless, we get close.

Same against Saints.
Putrid last Q. Same against Pies.
But we've mixed it with all these teams at some point in the games.

A lot of concern about the functioning of our forward line and what a mess it is, but I still think a quality midfield can make an average forward line look good. If they're up and about they're generating scores from stoppages around goals, they're delivering the ball in fast and effective, they're possessing so much footy and dominating so much territory the opposition defenders start to get rattled. This is what our midfield in it's prime - 2012-2016 - were excellent at doing. They gave us plenty of opportunities even when the forward line was quite dysfunctional, and you could say they even papered over the cracks.

They also hit the scoreboard themselves. We have got almost nothing from our mids in this regard this year. Rowbottom - 3, Parker and Florent - 2.

Florent and Hayward both contracted to 2024.

The club likes them.

They have obviously liked Sam Reid for **** knows how long as well. Does not mean those 2 will not follow a similar path in having a career that amounts to **** all and getting some nice coin to do it. This club and its decision makers are on a very slippery slope at the moment and anybody who does not think so are in denial.

They have obviously liked Sam Reid for **** knows how long as well. Does not mean those 2 will not follow a similar path in having a career that amounts to **** all and getting some nice coin to do it. This club and its decision makers are on a very slippery slope at the moment and anybody who does not think so are in denial.

Florent is not contracted til 2024, only Hayward. I think Florent signed for an extra two years, so he's out of contract end of next year. Which had me slightly concerned as it's weird he wouldn't go long-term like his BFF. Reminded me of Zak Jones' last contract. Hopefully by then Florent's settled on being a Swan for life, although if he doesn't reverse his current form he might have his decision made for him.

I actually count Mummy as a bust.

Yeah he was right place right time.
Florent is not contracted til 2024, only Hayward. I think Florent signed for an extra two years, so he's out of contract end of next year. Which had me slightly concerned as it's weird he wouldn't go long-term like his BFF. Reminded me of Zak Jones' last contract. Hopefully by then Florent's settled on being a Swan for life, although if he doesn't reverse his current form he might have his decision made for him.

Florent sharpens his kicking and gets the right development being putting into his frame and he is more chance of being on the Swans list in 3 years than Hayward. Hayward is a space cadet.

Rubbish Ted. You are continuously giving the club and out for poor talent identification and development based on Buddy's contract. Sorry but is bullshit. Nobody wants to ****ing come to the club anyway. We have a bigger stench to us than North. You could offer Dustin Martin 2 million a year and he would ****ing laugh at you.
A bit tongue in cheek Wolfy.

I agree we were not playing enjoyable footy where good players were perhaps not looking to come to our club but it doesn't help when we have no money spare in our cap to entice someone of note. The recruitment of Gray & Taylor has been a fail & I believe Horse & co have made the call on them already judging by who they are playing. Those two need to scrap around with hard work in the scrimmage matches & still they will only come in if we are desperate or are needing some maturity in the team should we lose other mature players. I think they are done & club acknowledge internally they Erred in recruiting them IMO.

But we are not as bad a list as some are saying.

Florent sharpens his kicking and gets the right development being putting into his frame and he is more chance of being on the Swans list in 3 years than Hayward. Hayward is a space cadet.

I agree for sure. That's why I'm so frustrated with Florent because we've seen his best is definitely good enough and he can be a huge asset to the team. Just don't know where his head is at of late.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imo the list/some players have been overrated.

Midfield boarding bottom

If in one year's time we are still having the same discussions I will concede to you that I over-rated some of the youngsters and will (un)happily admit it.

My patience will only allow another year though where a certain few (Florent, Hayward, Aliir, Dawson etc in that age group) are concerned... Maybe not so much Dawson. I forget he hasn't even played 40 games yet and has been swung around left right and centre.

I don’t think so.

Haywood just never makes space. Often 3rd man up in a massive pack. Has the burst speed to lead, but it does not happen. I just do not get it.

Florent is 2022

Strange he was kept in and Stephens out , at least Stephens looks like he knows what he's doing

I guess we know Stephens will be on the list next year regardless of performance. Bells future, amongst others (Thurlow, Wicks, Clarke, Foot etc) is not so I just think they are seeing whether they are worth retaining.

Keeping in mind also we have limited 2s form to make this assessment.

Haywood just never makes space. Often 3rd man up in a massive pack. Has the burst speed to lead, but it does not happen. I just do not get it.

Needs the space to be made for him IMO. Like in 2017 and 2018 when we were not anywhere near as bad as we have been the last two years.

I bet if we generated far more inside 50s and isolated our forwards better he'd be popping up pulling goals out of his ass here there and everywhere.

He's a problem in this regard as I don't think he can be relied on to help the team improve, simply to excel once the team has already improved.

Do you understand contracts?

The 22 on the weekend is an ordinary side

it’s not near the best 22 for the list this year

there’s a lot of work to do but there’s some good attitude at the club,

a good offseason can lift a club dramatically , we have some good investments right now, time will tell what we do with them

we did just play the top side

Remove this Banner Ad

Back