Autopsy Round 14, 2020: Port Adelaide 11.7.73 def Sydney 7.5.47

Remove this Banner Ad

The 22 on the weekend is an ordinary side

it’s not near the best 22 for the list this year

there’s a lot of work to do but there’s some good attitude at the club,

a good offseason can lift a club dramatically , we have some good investments right now, time will tell what we do with them

we did just play the top side
just getting the olayers to commit to coming here

just getting the olayers to commit to coming here

Last year daniher asked to come to be fair and it didn’t happen

do we know players who said f Sydney when approached?
I accept we haven’t got it done at the trade table as a criticism, which I know some disagree or make excuses about

I can’t agree no one will come here as I have no idea if it’s true
All we know is daniher did

Corpuscles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2006
Lunatic Park
AFL Club
Sydney
Corps - State of the Nation Club/ end of Season Address

Dear Fans - it has been an 'anus horribilis'!

Good things were planned to progress - BUT SH!T sometimes HAPPENS in truckloads!

No not just the fecking virus - but that badly effects bottom younger teams more because :
- no real ressie development, match fitness
- Little time for recruits molding to gameplan/style , eg run the fat off L Taylor and Gray to find his place
- exposes clubs that have very limited ready to go best 28 depth

This was the year Swans was to have a competitive ruckman for a BIG change - But Naismith GAWNNN! prolly for much of next year too.
Coach Longmire has mentioned poor clearance/stoppage numbers at nearly every presser except GWS game - Smashed nearly every game

The effect of this is:
- Older mids stand flat footed obsessed with tackling opposition mids as a priority wondering what their set up (plan) is
- No set plays can be planned unlikely to win the ruck if so a fluke
- Younger smaller ones get pushed off the ball and do not attack the fall of the ball
- Heeney's spark to keep em guessing missing
- Means it goes back before it comes forward

The effect of this is:
- Time for opposition to zone back and opposition KPD man up
- KPF have less space to aggressively lead and little quick delivery to one on one contests
- Requires daring corridor linking to break lines to deliver to wide fat side

FRANKIN has not played a game but has teased he's gunna?????
REID most of the year out, or out of any sort form or confidence
The effect is
- no stability or cohesion amongst fwds
- reliance on individualistic cameo brilliance

No player /team will push to the limit, when the season is effectively over and no hope of major reward for wins.

Everyone wants them to play like superstars but sometimes it CANNOT happen, only development and sorting out list stuff to be achieved .

MUST - find a quality ruckman or suffer again for another year - & bottom 4-6 again
HOPE - K Brand can earn and hold a KPD spot. Melican will not make the required grade.
PRAY - Franklin can play 70% of the games
CROSS every finger that E Taylor repays Swans with a blinder first full year and kicks 30-40 goals
DREAM - Joe Daniher has some real personal reason to WANT DESPERATELY to live in Sydney for modest contract and can prove fitness
LOWER all expectations till 2022

All way too harsh on young mids - give them hope to attack the ball first not just hang in there defensively

Seasons highlights:
- progressive individual development of Rowbottom and McCartin
- Papley growing as a leader and in confidence

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney

a good offseason can lift a club dramatically , we have some good investments right now, time will tell what we do with them

This is right. We played the top (almost injury free) side with 5 walk ups out and 4 of those probably our 4 most important players.

Instead of playing 2 of Bell, Wicks, Stephens, Ling, Clarke, Foote, Thurlow, and McInerney we're playing 5. And instead of being able to send most of them back to the Ressies to “work on” deficiencies they are required to front week on week.

I accept we haven’t got it done at the trade table as a criticism, which I know some disagree or make excuses about

Langdon , Moore and berg But looks good looks ok now

Corps - State of the Nation Club/ end of Season Address

Dear Fans - it has been an 'anus horribilis'!

Good things were planned to progress - BUT SH!T sometimes HAPPENS in truckloads!

No not just the fecking virus - but that badly effects bottom younger teams more because :
- no real ressie development, match fitness
- Little time for recruits molding to gameplan/style , eg run the fat off L Taylor and Gray to find his place
- exposes clubs that have very limited ready to go best 28 depth

This was the year Swans was to have a competitive ruckman for a BIG change - But Naismith GAWNNN! prolly for much of next year too.
Coach Longmire has mentioned poor clearance/stoppage numbers at nearly every presser except GWS game - Smashed nearly every game

The effect of this is:
- Older mids stand flat footed obsessed with tackling opposition mids as a priority wondering what their set up (plan) is
- No set plays can be planned unlikely to win the ruck if so a fluke
- Younger smaller ones get pushed off the ball and do not attack the fall of the ball
- Heeney's spark to keep em guessing missing
- Means it goes back before it comes forward

The effect of this is:
- Time for opposition to zone back and opposition KPD man up
- KPF have less space to aggressively lead and little quick delivery to one on one contests
- Requires daring corridor linking to break lines to deliver to wide fat side

FRANKIN has not played a game but has teased he's gunna?????
REID most of the year out, or out of any sort form or confidence
The effect is
- no stability or cohesion amongst fwds
- reliance on individualistic cameo brilliance

No player /team will push to the limit, when the season is effectively over and no hope of major reward for wins.

Everyone wants them to play like superstars but sometimes it CANNOT happen, only development and sorting out list stuff to be achieved .

MUST - find a quality ruckman or suffer again for another year - & bottom 4-6 again
HOPE - K Brand can earn and hold a KPD spot. Melican will not make the required grade.
PRAY - Franklin can play 70% of the games
CROSS every finger that E Taylor repays Swans with a blinder first full year and kicks 30-40 goals
DREAM - Joe Daniher has some real personal reason to WANT DESPERATELY to live in Sydney for modest contract and can prove fitness
LOWER all expectations till 2022

All way too harsh on young mids - give them hope to attack the ball first not just hang in there defensively

Seasons highlights:
- progressive individual development of Rowbottom and McCartin
- Papley growing as a leader and in confidence

Mostly agree... I think

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

Heeney, Hewett, Franklin, Rampe and a decent ruck easily make us a ~10th side imo to play finals we need the next development of players to come through.

But yer *loads of work to do to climb back up the ladder.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Langdon , Moore and berg But looks good looks ok now

How many just used as leverage for a better deal? Daniher did legit want to come here any other club apart from Essendon and we would of got a deal done.

Langdon, Moore, Vandenberg chose to stay in Victoria.

Why would you move to Sydney unless we significantly pay overs? its why COLA was a equalisation method we just werent allowed to be to good.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

Love to be in the circle when it comes to players managers only way you will know which player was close to coming to your club.

Nobody knew that Rance was very close to becoming a docker untill Lyon said it in one of his podcasts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So how would you have run the club differently? Its easy to take potshots without providing solutions

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

signed martin and fyfe
got buddy 100% fit

won every game

swanssince2002

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 21, 2018
21kms from Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
To be fair, the last thing we want to happen is to be like Essendon for the past 20 years mired in mediocrity or Carlton who seem to be stuck in an endless loop at the bottom. Nobody wants that.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
To be fair, the last thing we want to happen is to be like Essendon for the past 20 years mired in mediocrity or Carlton who seem to be stuck in an endless loop at the bottom. Nobody wants that.

At least those clubs can still attract players who the * would wanna come to Sydney if we are bottom 4 for a decade.

So how would you have run the club differently? Its easy to take potshots without providing solutions

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I've never quite understood this argument on here. We're not the ones being paid six figures to make things happen, so it's not our job to know how or what we would've done differently.

Granted the club is not going to get everything right, nothing is ever perfect. But if there's no one holding anyone accountable for the things that we get wrong, how can we ever expect it to change?

For example, those in charge of our list management, recruiting and identifying trade targets. They have not got many, if any, right in the last few years. OK fair enough their punts haven't paid off, these things happen. But if eventually the misses keep piling up and there aren't enough hits, I don't think it's crazy to think that those guys aren't doing their jobs very well?

And Wolfgang calling it out won't fix anything, but everyone involved at the club wearing rose-coloured glasses won't fix anything either.

I've never quite understood this argument on here. We're not the ones being paid six figures to make things happen, so it's not our job to know how or what we would've done differently.

Granted the club is not going to get everything right, nothing is ever perfect. But if there's no one holding anyone accountable for the things that we get wrong, how can we ever expect it to change?

For example, those in charge of our list management, recruiting and identifying trade targets. They have not got many, if any, right in the last few years. OK fair enough their punts haven't paid off, these things happen. But if eventually the misses keep piling up and there aren't enough hits, I don't think it's crazy to think that those guys aren't doing their jobs very well?

And Wolfgang calling it out won't fix anything, but everyone involved at the club wearing rose-coloured glasses won't fix anything either.

its not an argument, its like when you told your mum you didnt like tea she said cook it yourself, well the silly bitch wont let a 6 year old in the kitchen

the club wont let us take control, but we support them/pay memberships and come here to discuss, of course if people want to say * off the club is right, then by all means do that as well.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC

Wolfgang always has called a spade a spade and more times than not he's spot on . People / soft fans can't cop the truth at times.

its not an argument, its like when you told your mum you didnt like tea she said cook it yourself, well the silly b*tch wont let a 6 year old in the kitchen

the club wont let us take control, but we support them/pay memberships and come here to discuss, of course if people want to say fu** off the club is right, then by all means do that as well.

Yeah I think it's cool if people don't like to call the club out or only want to focus on the positives. I think it's cool if people can't help but focus on anything but the negatives. We all support the club differently and all want the same outcome in the end.

What I don't get it is the moral high ground when someone makes a fairly reasonable point.

ie. Everyone agrees the forward line or midfield is a mess, someone suggests maybe the coaches in charge of those areas aren't doing a great job, and it's like you've suggested we tie Stevie J and Macca to a pyre and sacrifice them.

Corpuscles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2006
Lunatic Park
AFL Club
Sydney
I've never quite understood this argument on here. ....

If you think they were the "wrong punts" none "right" then you must know something better.

What is THAT?

(I know you don't get paid for it. (opinion) but it would cost a fortune at base wage rates too expensive)

PS Which ones were wrong?

If you think they were the "wrong punts" none "right" then you must know something better.

What is THAT?

(I know you don't get paid for it. (opinion) but it would cost a fortune at base wage rates too expensive)

PS Which ones were wrong?

Gold Coast Suns had less going for them than we have and they managed to get Witts, Greenwood, Weller, Collins and Ellis in recent years. That's five recruits who are better than our best recruit in that time (Sinclair).

Brisbane the same. Cameron, McCarthy, Neale, Lyons, Robinson, Birchall. That's six recruits better than our best in that time.

Port Adelaide the same. Rockliff, Burton, McKenzie, Dixon, Lycett and Jonas. Another six better than ours in that time.

Fremantle, who had a polarising coach and a toxic culture, still managed to get Lobb, Colyer, Wilson, Conca and Hamling. That's five better than our best. (Which is not even including potentially-better ones like Hogan, McCarthy, Aish and Acres.)

All interstate clubs. All with question marks over their status as "destination clubs" at the time. All average teams when they signed most of those players. So I don't buy the we're an interstate club excuse, or the trade ban excuse, or the COLA excuse. We just haven't traded as well as others, simple as that.

Back