Adelaide's decline

Remove this Banner Ad

Because we aren't drafting SA kids or worshipping the SANFL overlords :)

The sooner this pissant state gets over being the second best league in the country...
You are right, no one cares who the second best league in the land is.

If we want to better development, we need to have a separate pathway for kids like the under 18's comp in Victoria. Will never happen though.

On your point about not drafting SA kids, you drafted Peter Ladhams, who I believe is better than Reilly O'Brien and was right under the Crows noses at Norwood. The Crows also could have drafted Henry Crauford from Norwood last year when we were crying out for a ruckman. He is now on Essendon's rookie list.

On your point about not drafting SA kids, you drafted Peter Ladhams, who I believe is better than Reilly O'Brien and was right under the Crows noses at Norwood. The Crows also could have drafted Henry Crauford from Norwood last year when we were crying out for a ruckman. He is now on Essendon's rookie list
I could list 100 times where a non SA kid is a better selection too.... Butters and Duursma were drafted ahead of highly rated SA kids, and those SA kids are irrelevant in a comparison atm.

Well I'm telling you why drafting SA kids or the lack of SA kids being drafted is likely the way it is.

There's just not the population and depth here.
I don't disagree with you, but that is not what I was talking about.

I could list 100 times where a non SA kid is a better selection too.... Butters and Duursma were drafted ahead of highly rated SA kids, and those SA kids are irrelevant in a comparison atm.
I know, I was agreeing with you. My point is your overall drafting has been better than ours. SA or non SA kids.

SA won the 2018 Under 18 championship and beat WA last year (WA won U18 Championship in 2019). With a smaller population than WA and Victoria we're usually going to have less players drafted.
The players in SA team in the u18 championship are played in their best current position. The eastern states players are generally played in their potential AFL positions, which don't always mean their best current position.

I've just noticed today the Adelaide Crows have a mere 11 actual South Australians (including rookies) on their list (and 25 Victorians).

Compare this to the so-called "non-football" states of Qld & NSW, where Brisbane have 11 Queenslanders, Gold Coast have 12 Queenslanders and GWS have 13 from NSW on their respective lists.

It seems the Crows don't much like South Australian players - so much for being "The Pride of South Australia".

I believe QLD gets early access to local talent, don't they?

Unfortunately, Rankine, Luko, Rozee etc were all drafted before we got a shot at them.

We could have traded up to get a shot at them, like Port did.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rozee, yes, and we absolutely should have - Rankine and Luko, highly unlikely.

My points stands though - it's a shallow analysis to the point of being irrelevant, to suggest that we don't prefer to draft SA players.

If they aren't available to us, or aren't very good, then those are the two main reasons.

Rozee, yes, and we absolutely should have - Rankine and Luko, highly unlikely.

My points stands though - it's a shallow analysis to the point of being irrelevant, to suggest that we don't prefer to draft SA players.

If they aren't available to us, or aren't very good, then those are the two main reasons.
This is true unfortunately, Lukouois and Rankine were probably never gettable, but guys like Will Day, Jack Graham, Hately for example went a bit later and look to be go prospects at the moment.

They are too busy worrying about Dixon's contract status to focus on things like that priorities.

You guys need to get rid of Roo somehow. Good luck with that.
Haha, that really touched a nerve for everyone other than Dixon at Port. We all want Roo gone form the board, but seriously time to move on from this rumour, it was 2 weeks ago.

What about your board member who is CEO of Jam TV, a producer of a lot of AFL Media content? No conflict of interest there either...

Haha, that really touched a nerve for everyone other than Dixon at Port. We all want Roo gone form the board, but seriously time to move on from this rumour, it was 2 weeks ago.

What about your board member who is CEO of Jam TV, a producer of a lot of AFL Media content? No conflict of interest there either...

Cardone? We want him gone too. He's Eddie's bitch and it is reprehensible he's on our board.

Fair enough, I had to Google Cos to find out what he does. I think he is more part of the Corporate affairs there at the moment.

As for Roo, yeah most crows people have said the same thing.

As for moving on, the football world has moved on from 3 years ago, good luck with something from 2 weeks ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gold Coast 2019 aside, only once have they managed to score 102+ in their last 48 games (going back to 5th May 2018). They've failed to break 60+ in their last 12 games. Only once have their opponents dipped below that (Metricon Freo who still doubled their goals).

Last edited:
Looking at Adelaides list I just can't get my head around how they haven't won a game

Sure there are some holes in it but a team with Sloane, Crouch x2, Laird and Talia should be able to at least win 1 game in a season

Looking at Adelaides list I just can't get my head around how they haven't won a game

Sure there are some holes in it but a team with Sloane, Crouch x2, Laird and Talia should be able to at least win 1 game in a season
You would think that North and Adel could easily swap their places and wins column this year.

Crouch brothers are massively overrated and I don't think the Victorian media (which we are both influenced by like it or not) have caught up with how mediocre those two are. Or how Sloane has severely declined since his 2016-2017 days. Talia is decent but he's an old-school backman who only does so much. Their midfield is one-dimensional and is being cut up by teams with an iota of pace. They're also a team which has no idea what they're doing in an era where structures is really important. Their forwardline is now the worst in the league. I understand that they don't appear to be 0-13 bad but it's not a good time to be a slow team physically or mentally. Teams know how to counter toughness and inside ability if you've got nothing else.

They have 5 players on their list that they can build around going forward. Doodee, O'Brien, Matt Crouch, Milera and Rory Laird. Everybody else is either too old or completely unproven. They are in for some very tough years and will be hoping like hell that some of their youngsters who have shown bugger all so far kick on. Otherwise it will be a long time until they are competing for the 8.

We have had only 3 players play every single game and have used 40 blokes on our list so far. 9 debutants for the season and I think our combined games experience against Geelong was 800 less than them.

Combine that with trying to implement a new game plan, training restrictions during the week (this is heightened for a club going through a complete rebuild), the most budget assistant coaching panel and fitness boss (which will hopefully be rectified in the off season) and the abnormal fixture it’s not too surprising we have struggled. I think if this was a normal 22 round season without any restrictions or disruptions we probably win 2-4 games, even with 9 debutants and crap assistant coaches.

We delayed the appointment of Nicks too much last year and also have to pay out Pyke, Campo and Burton, which was putting us on the back foot from day dot in 2020. Getting the off field footy department right will help more than any talent we draft this off season.

We have had only 3 players play every single game and have used 40 blokes on our list so far. 9 debutants for the season and I think our combined games experience against Geelong was 800 less than them.

Combine that with trying to implement a new game plan, training restrictions during the week (this is heightened for a club going through a complete rebuild), the most budget assistant coaching panel and fitness boss (which will hopefully be rectified in the off season) and the abnormal fixture it’s not too surprising we have struggled. I think if this was a normal 22 round season without any restrictions or disruptions we probably win 2-4 games, even with 9 debutants and crap assistant coaches.

We delayed the appointment of Nicks too much last year and also have to pay out Pyke, Campo and Burton, which was putting us on the back foot from day dot in 2020. Getting the off field footy department right will help more than any talent we draft this off season.
I get all of thet. But North have done the same but with more injuries and they have even managed to win 3 games

Hell even when Melbourne were in our darkest days we still managed to win 2 games and we on paper were twice as bad looking as the Crows

I get all of thet. But North have done the same but with more injuries and they have even managed to win 3 games

Hell even when Melbourne were in our darkest days we still managed to win 2 games and we on paper were twice as bad looking as the Crows

Melbourne were able to feast on the giants and suns who were as bad or worse than the demons and didn't know how to travel. Adelaide don't have that. North also have some pace in their side which helps the grunt actually hit the scoreboard. Guys like Anderson and Simpkin are helping. They also don't have a first year coach so the ideas make more sense to the team. I suspect that the crows players are utterly confused, as shown by water bottlegate.

Melbourne were able to feast on the giants and suns who were as bad or worse than the demons and didn't know how to travel. Adelaide don't have that. North also have some pace in their side which helps the grunt actually hit the scoreboard. Guys like Anderson and Simpkin are helping. They also don't have a first year coach so the ideas make more sense to the team. I suspect that the crows players are utterly confused, as shown by water bottlegate.
GWS and Gold Coast were in the league, true but we still always managed to at least bat one other team

My point is that Adelaide on paper don't seem to be that bad. Which is why I can't get my head around you still not having won a game

GWS and Gold Coast were in the league, true but we still always managed to at least bat one other team

My point is that Adelaide on paper don't seem to be that bad. Which is why I can't get my head around you still not having won a game

I think something stinks in the fitness regime -the whole squad looks cooked and unable to run out games

I think something stinks in the fitness regime -the whole squad looks cooked and unable to run out games
yeah there have been a few games that you have been good for a half or three quarters but then fall away (and badly in most cases too)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back