Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pain and Gain was on telly the other night.

Good rewatch value for me but it doesn't get easier. As I reckon I've said before, an interesting and occasionally funny story but god, difficult. Even for fans of black comedy. First half is great, the main characters are foolishly likable, then they aren't. They begin to do very nasty things. What doesn't help is that their victim is also an unlikable a-hole. It's not a movie to watch for the characters, but for the story and crazy situations. Also very stylistically appealing, with that grand Michael Bay style looking really good on a smaller scale film and the good musical score. Good performances all round too.

See this cover poster thing though?

51Y0w4LKFzL.jpg

It's awful. Makes it look like some Miami Vice Bad Boys style cop movie, not a sort of black comedy trueish crime drama. Whoever done the marketing for that should have been sacked.

The Hot Chick - a difficult to obtain early 2000s comedy starring Rod Schneider, Anna Faris and a pre Mean Girls Rachel McAdams where a loser criminal (played by Schneider) swaps bodies with a popular but bitchy high school girl (McAdams) with hilarity ensuing. It's a bit of a cult film but often forgotten today. I laughed all the way through.

OK let's do this. Top 10 Tom Cruise movies.

The Firm
Collateral
Oblivion
Top Gun
Vanilla Sky
Jack Reacher
Minority Report
The Last Samurai
Edge of Tomorrow
A Few Good Men

subs bench

Eyes Wide Shut
Magnolia
Tropic Thunder (I know he only had a minor part but it was brilliant)
War of the Worlds
Jerry Maguire
Jack Reacher 2

The Firm
Collateral
Oblivion
Top Gun
Vanilla Sky
Jack Reacher
Minority Report
The Last Samurai
Edge of Tomorrow
A Few Good Men

subs bench

Eyes Wide Shut
Magnolia
War of the Worlds
Jerry Maguire
Jack Reacher 2
Oh man how could you miss Rock of Ages??
He is truly exceptional in that film. 👍👍

Shoplifters

One of the best foreign films of this decade. Set in Japan about a family living in the slums and doing questionable things to survive, things start to develop when they adopt/kidnap a young girl who had been suffering from abuse and neglect.

There are some similar themes to another recent foreign favourite, Parasite, though this comes without the violence and features a more endearing core group.

Thanks for the tip. Watched it tonight and enjoyed. It was very Japanese! Would be a good drinking game to take a gulp every time they slurp their noodles.

Project Power.
Latest Jamie Foxx movie about super powers & such. I found it pretty boring and very similar to ‘Bright’. Cool FX but could not keep my attention at all.
**/ ****

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't fancy it from the previews so I never watched it. I'll check it out :thumbsu:
I cannot stand musicals usually but that era has a sentimental place for me. His total piss take portrayal of an entitled 80’s rock god like Axl Rose is Fukn hilarious. 🤣

No mention of Days of Thunder :eek:

Edit:
You're actually missing quite a few of his better films

Born on the 4th of July
Rain man
Cocktail
Far and Away
The color of money
Risky Business
Interview with a Vampire

Last edited:
A lot of Cruise movies being named and nothing from the Mission Impossible franchise. Interesting.

Anyway, worth noting he did his own singing too in Rock of Ages. I reckon a fair bit of autotune was involved though.

Alec Baldwin and Russell Brand are good too.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

I cannot stand musicals usually but that era has a sentimental place for me. His total piss take portrayal of an entitled 80’s rock god like Axl Rose is Fukn hilarious.
Axl might have become the poster boy for that but he was actually a rough kid from a tough life. Someone like Vince Neil or David Lee Roth is a better example for me.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

No mention of Days of Thunder :eek:

Edit:
You're actually missing quite a few of his better films

Born on the 4th of July
Rain man
Cocktail
Far and Away
The color of money
Risky Business
Interview with a Vampire

I like some of these. But which ones would you switch out of my top 10?

I like some of these. But which ones would you switch out of my top 10?

Rain Man didn't win enough awards for you..? It was a brilliant movie, would easily be in my top 3 of anything Cruise has appeared in...

Related trivia; the scene where Ray refuses to fly with any US airline (based on their safety records) and only with Qantas (based on it's) caused some controversy where the producers were asked to remove the scene or edit it, they didn't - so the airlines themselves had the scene removed before including the movie as part of their in-flight entertainment...

Last edited:
Over the last 30 odd years he's probably got more hits and watchable films than anyone. It's pretty hard to deny, and the bloke still looks 45, yet he's 58. I think he's a strange cat, but he's definitely a motivated, focused man who does do some unbelievable stunts.

As an actor I like him, for his choices, and his ambition, and dedication.

The Firm
Collateral
Oblivion
Top Gun
Vanilla Sky
Jack Reacher
Minority Report
The Last Samurai
Edge of Tomorrow
A Few Good Men

subs bench

Eyes Wide Shut
Magnolia
War of the Worlds
Jerry Maguire
Jack Reacher 2

Risky Business just for Rebecca De Mornay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back