Autopsy Round 14, 2020: Port Adelaide 11.7.73 def Sydney 7.5.47

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold Coast Suns had less going for them than we have and they managed to get Witts, Greenwood, Weller, Collins and Ellis in recent years. That's five recruits who are better than our best recruit in that time (Sinclair).

Brisbane the same. Cameron, McCarthy, Neale, Lyons, Robinson, Birchall. That's six recruits better than our best in that time.

Port Adelaide the same. Rockliff, Burton, McKenzie, Dixon, Lycett and Jonas. Another six better than ours in that time.

Fremantle, who had a polarising coach and a toxic culture, still managed to get Lobb, Colyer, Wilson, Conca and Hamling. That's five better than our best. (Which is not even including potentially-better ones like Hogan, McCarthy, Aish and Acres.)

All interstate clubs. All with question marks over their status as "destination clubs" at the time. All average teams when they signed most of those players. So I don't buy the we're an interstate club excuse, or the trade ban excuse, or the COLA excuse. We just haven't traded as well as others, simple as that.

Brisbane traded pick 12 for Cameron, 6and 19 etc for Neale. Port Adelaide gave pick 10 for Dixon and 18 for Rockliff Gold Coast paid Brandon Ellis 600k per year. Conca/Hamling/Colyer/Lobb etc are from WA

We used all our draft picks rather than using them for trades which has been a conscious decision by the club.

We are also in the most expensive city to live in which doesn't help and have the only contrac in the AFL that cannot be changed

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

The 1st quarter was the best sign from the game, imo. Ports intensity was right up and they went for the kill early. To the swans credit they hung in and matched the intensity, which is a positive. 2nd a different story but ports first 2 goals were given to them by bad umpiring. Judging by the couple of pro Swans calls in the 3rd, the umpires were on payback time.
Wicks is coming along, and so is Bell, with a lot more to learn but he can cover some ground. I expect he will be given a breather. McInerney was ok and like Bell needs to believe. Epected more from Hayward, Papley and Reid. Expect to see Gould debut next, Amartey as well atsome point.Warner to have another crack. 4 matches in 20 days and a spot on the ‘21 list should drive a few who really want it.
might end the season on where we are - in number of wins, so the north v freo game Might just determine 16 or 17th.....prefer 17th and move onto ‘21 with a positive trade period....

Last edited:
They have to be good enough. No point picking them if they aren't ready. I'd rather pick the best players, if they are academy fine, if not that's fine. Back our system to retain and develop.
Define “good enough” in the context of rookie picks.

By definition rookies aren’t considered “good enough” to be selected in the top 70-odd draftees.

Sure, if you know a Papley has it and he’s slipped through then by all means rookie him. But by and largewe should be using the rookie list to favour academy graduates, which we do, and it seems to be working.

Define “good enough” in the context of rookie picks.

By definition rookies aren’t considered “good enough” to be selected in the top 70-odd draftees.

Sure, if you know a Papley has it and he’s slipped through then by all means rookie him. But by and largewe should be using the rookie list to favour academy graduates, which we do, and it seems to be working.

Best available it’s that simple. Rookie picks you can afford to take risks on players. If you know an academy player is meh why take him. You’ll end up with 20 Jack Hiscox’s

Best available it’s that simple. Rookie picks you can afford to take risks on players. If you know an academy player is meh why take him. You’ll end up with 20 Jack Hiscox’s
I think academy players are only picked up if there is a belief they can make it. Last year no academy player was picked up. Arguably only Jake Brown was an academy player that was a complete bust. Of the others they have at least debuted.

I think academy players are only picked up if there is a belief they can make it. Last year no academy player was picked up. Arguably only Jake Brown was an academy player that was a complete bust. Of the others they have at least debuted.

That’s how it should be. Don’t have our whole rookie list full of them though. Best available it’s simple

Your comments on SJ were interesting , as i know some had gone because of Horse . I think SJ will get the chop with cutbacks . We can't all in a team enviroment like the Captain or Coach , it's human nature . Every player at any level of footy think they should be played at the highest level . I've seen it for many years.

Stats time

Swans are #1 in the league for turnovers this year
#2 for intercepts
#5 for free kicks, with a substantial positive FF/FA tally
#1 for tackles
#1 for rebound 50s

Bottom 4 for inside 50s, disposal efficiency, centre clearances, bounces

Paints a picture of a team working hard but completely lacking in talent and skills, and the defence is stopping scorelines from being much worse

Yup. This doesn't surprise me. The research room never lets me down!

Brisbane traded pick 12 for Cameron, 6and 19 etc for Neale. Port Adelaide gave pick 10 for Dixon and 18 for Rockliff Gold Coast paid Brandon Ellis 600k per year. Conca/Hamling/Colyer/Lobb etc are from WA

We used all our draft picks rather than using them for trades which has been a conscious decision by the club.

We are also in the most expensive city to live in which doesn't help and have the only contrac in the AFL that cannot be changed

I don't dispute any of that, but when Gold Coast and Brisbane pick up key players of their team virtually for free, as delisted free agents, and they then go on to become one of their best defenders and midfielders respectively, while ours are in the reserves despite us being a 16th-placed side... that just shows our radar hasn't been focusing on the right targets.

Why has Florent become a board whipping boy? He's clearly been attracting better opponents due to our outs, so he hasn't been able to find space as easily.

He is not soft, he brought down Powell-Pepper (a bigger guy) with a tackle that resulted in a HTB free.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why has Florent become a board whipping boy? He's clearly been attracting better opponents due to our outs, so he hasn't been able to find space as easily.

He is not soft, he brought down Powell-Pepper (a bigger guy) with a tackle that resulted in a HTB free.
Not me. I'm more worried about Hayward.

I don't dispute any of that, but when Gold Coast and Brisbane pick up key players of their team virtually for free, as delisted free agents, and they then go on to become one of their best defenders and midfielders respectively, while ours are in the reserves despite us being a 16th-placed side... that just shows our radar hasn't been focusing on the right targets.
Maybe we don't have the salary cap to pay the wages that Brisbane/Gold Coast can due to Suns losing nearly all their top earners such as Lynch/May etc and Brisbane not having huge earners at the time.
We had a crack at Darcy Moore/Daniher but unfortunately without luck for the first and thankfully without luck for the latter.
I would like to think we are front loading guys like Heeney etc so when Franklin/Kennedy etc come off contract we will have substantial cap space to top up the list in a year or twos time.

Maybe we don't have the salary cap to pay the wages that Brisbane/Gold Coast can due to Suns losing nearly all their top earners such as Lynch/May etc and Brisbane not having huge earners at the time.
We had a crack at Darcy Moore/Daniher but unfortunately without luck for the first and thankfully without luck for the latter.
I would like to think we are front loading guys like Heeney etc so when Franklin/Kennedy etc come off contract we will have substantial cap space to top up the list in a year or twos time.

I think we're talking about two different things. I agree with you about the challenges we face landing a 'big fish' like Moore. But I was talking about the low-risk, high-reward trades. Brisbane paid almost nothing for Lyons, who is now their best mid behind Neale. Gold Coast similarly paid almost nothing for Collins, who is now their best defender.

Compare what they have got from those two, to what we have got from Clarke, Thurlow, Gray etc.

Any word from the AFL on why that ridiculous and unnecessary free kick was paid to Dixon against Aliir?
Texted Gill.

He said suck it, posted some poo emojis and then Nelson from The Simpons pointing to the scoreboard after the siren with HAHA in a text balloon.

My take - little sympathy and possibly no real outcome to be had.

Texted Gill.

He said suck it, posted some poo emojis and then Nelson from The Simpons pointing to the scoreboard after the siren with HAHA in a text balloon.

My take - little sympathy and possibly no real outcome to be had.
Lol. Well I'm going to contact umpire directly.. Top 3 worst decision I've seen this year, apart from countless laughable holding the balls.

I think we're talking about two different things. I agree with you about the challenges we face landing a 'big fish' like Moore. But I was talking about the low-risk, high-reward trades. Brisbane paid almost nothing for Lyons, who is now their best mid behind Neale. Gold Coast similarly paid almost nothing for Collins, who is now their best defender.

Compare what they have got from those two, to what we have got from Clarke, Thurlow, Gray etc.
Clarke and Thurlow are the definition of low risk with potential high reward. Paid very little for either, Thurlow was a first round pick who'd shown excellent skills but struggled with injury and the other was a player type we needed who (seemed) to be played out of position and lacking opportunity. Sure they haven't worked out to this point, but they're both the definition of low cost / risk trades which could pay off.

With Lyons, I'm sure if there's a player from GWS who's clearly a high quality player, is on the outer, and doesn't want to leave Sydney, I'm sure we'll snap him up, but that scenario doesn't come around too often.

And given the exposure to the players they get via the academy, that’s fair enough.

Unlike plucking a kid in the draft where you’ve had some access to games, training and question time to understand character, upbringing, resilience etc the coaches have way more access with academy kids and therefore probably far easier to determine their likely future.

Clarke and Thurlow are the definition of low risk with potential high reward. Paid very little for either, Thurlow was a first round pick who'd shown excellent skills but struggled with injury and the other was a player type we needed who (seemed) to be played out of position and lacking opportunity. Sure they haven't worked out to this point, but they're both the definition of low cost / risk trades which could pay off.

With Lyons, I'm sure if there's a player from GWS who's clearly a high quality player, is on the outer, and doesn't want to leave Sydney, I'm sure we'll snap him up, but that scenario doesn't come around too often.

And I'm not disputing we have gone after low risk, high reward players. They just haven't given us any reward, so therefore they are failures.

It’s not that simple at all.

Best available based on what?

The list needs. Just filling our list with Academy players is not smart one single bit, we’d end up with 100 Jack His KC’s very quickly and good luck attracting good players we’d be stuck with the endless Ryan Clarke types.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back