Toast Round 14: Carlton 48-72 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Pendles was on Triple M just before and confirmed that his task was to go up against Cripps at every stoppage.

He also thought that the game got closer to the style they would like to play.

He also said that the game against Melbourne a couple of weeks back the team collectively "ran out of puff"......

Pendles was on Triple M just before and confirmed that his task was to go up against Cripps at every stoppage.

He also thought that the game got closer to the style they would like to play.

He also said that the game against Melbourne a couple of weeks back the team collectively "ran out of puff"......
Is there anything Pendles can't do? Completely negated Cripps for the majority of the game

Reading their pregame thread its baffling how confident they were, I know we had a few here with the same doubt but even with no Treloar and Sidebottom our midfield still has Pendles and Adams who is a better player than Cripps in 2020. Another game showing Wills/Sier are expendable come seasons end.

Reading their pregame thread its baffling how confident they were, I know we had a few here with the same doubt but even with no Treloar and Sidebottom our midfield still has Pendles and Adams who is a better player than Cripps in 2020. Another game showing Wills/Sier are expendable come seasons end.
I don't think beating up on a weak midfield shows that Sier is expendable. Wills is because he's not an AFL calibre player, but I think Sier can develop into a good B-grade midfielder

Yeah I thought that call was ridiculous. A call as rare as that you'd think they would try get it right.

There was another umpiring decision the commentators conveniently overlooked as well. In junk time in the last quarter Josh Thomas running into an open goal was quite clearly ankle tapped causing him to trip.

Just had a quick read of their board as a nice entertaining way to start my Monday morning.

The thing that completely blew my mind, there is a poster who was adamant it should have been a free kick to Plowman rather than Stephenson. WTF...
My older brother (who is a stinky Blues fan) was maintaining the same. Completely mystifying. Plowman took his eyes off the footy, initiated the front on contact AND chopped the arms of Stephenson. Just because Stephenson was going back with the flight doesn't exclude him from front on contact free kicks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just had a quick read of their board as a nice entertaining way to start my Monday morning.

The thing that completely blew my mind, there is a poster who was adamant it should have been a free kick to Plowman rather than Stephenson. WTF...
To be fair in that scenario 90% of the time the free goes to the player in Plowman's position, its just he completely shat the bed, took his eyes off the ball then whacked stevo for no real reason

Visited the Blues board and they are pumping themselves up how they are improving and will knock us off next time. No mention of all our outs. Totally delusional losers.
It's either blinded optimism about how next year is their year (haven't they been saying that since the turn of the century?) or people wanting to burn the club to the ground. Beautiful!

Absolutely wonderful feeling waking up this morning.

It doesn't matter how we get the wins against Carlton, they are always satisfying. The fact that we also played quite well in the second half is even more pleasing.

We have a fair bit to work on though. We need to be more accurate in front of goal. Carlton was only in the game because of so many straight forward misses. Thomas and Stephenson were good, but kicked far too many behinds. Carlton on the other hand was running the length of the ground and nailing their shots. We obviously need to take our chances against better sides.

But for all the doom and gloom of the last month, we have won 4 of our past 5 games with a terribly undermanned side. The loss against Melbourne is excusable given we were 3 down on the bench coming off back to back 4 days breaks...in which we copped multiple injuries in all those games as well. The game that was the most dissapointing was the loss to Freo...but otherwise we've ground of the wins we needed to.

It obviously gets tougher from here, but the good news is that we are playing much better.

Daicos, Moore and Maynard are the huge improvers this year. A bit to like about young Tyler as well.

Kudos to the posters to mentioned that having Cameron around has helped Grundy. Absolutely polarising difference between Grundy in first half vs second half and then in last QTR really started leaping at the ball.

I had wondered about pinch-hitting Cox/Grundy in the ruck and dropping Cameron but it's clear that we need a big pillar up forward and have Cameron as the mobile outlier being a link on the wing for the get out of jail kicks and generally being a good relief ruck.

Cameron had a 100% FA (* all) possession count, but his presence was absolutely needed in to provide the structure we needed.

Cox is also starting to build around finals time. Glad to see it. His Instagram post hinted that he wasn't quite right for whatever reason, so I'm happy to see him cement a spot. Even at his current output he is creating goal-scoring opportunities as much as finding his own ball.

Really happy to see JT find his mojo again. Maybe being back in QLD has awoken his spirit?

Both the Browns seem to me to be on the same trajectory as Daics, just a little slower. Give them 2 more seasons and watch them become real bulldozers, in-and-under link players who can find the ball and deliver when needed. You can see Tyler getting to the right places, just he's a bit rangy right now. Once both of them get enough confidence both in their own strength and ability but also their pecking order within the team they will back themselves to kick for goal as much as they look to hand it off.

Darcy is fast becoming a long-term elite player if not already. Worth paying the price of admission to see him play. Albeit I'd prefer to have my reserved seat rather than paying extra $$$ to watch on Kayo :(

Fair to say I was not looking forward to playing the Brians 4 weeks ago. Now I think we have a 50/50 chance. Would be amazing to get back closer to top 4 again. We're not playing at the level of WCE or Tigers, but we're a lot better team than our form has been showing for the last month.

I don't like to focus on negatives, but gotta say WHE was worse than Phillips

Not sure about that. Both had a couple of cameos, both made some terrible mistakes.

Not sure about that. Both had a couple of cameos, both made some terrible mistakes.
I think Phillips did less damage to us with ball in hand than WHE. WHE got pinned twice and kicked it straight to Walsh 30 out from goal. Killed us in the first 3 quarters

Such a crucial win.

Moore and Maynard, these 2 lads are amazing and have to be very close to AA contention.

Same with Tay Adams. What he lacks in skill he more than makes up in effort and determination. A true warrior.

Don't underestimate Pendles role on Cripps. Cutting him out goes a long way to beating Carlton.

Elliot's explosiveness from stoppages is lovely to watch and it's so good to see this bloke playing great footy.

Our forward line is showing better signs. Cox is working himself back into good form along with Stevo and JT. Although Cameron didn't get near it, his presence allows Cox more 1 on 1 contests which is crucial.

We'll be huge underdogs against Brisbane but I really think they're gettable. They're blessed to play in QLD every week and I think the ladder flatters them.

Treloar and De Goey would be huge ins but more likely v GC from what you hear.

Season is alive and we all know Collingwood thrives at times like these, I'm still not ruling us out this season.

Good win in the end

Was annoyed with our ball use out of defence late when they were going for a final surge, but once we got it past half back we got some nice angles forward of centre.

Stephenson can be frustrating but he had 6 clear shots at goal and kicked 2.

I think we are starting to build a nice half back and back pockets, with Crisp,Maynard,Quaynor and Noble good in that role with Moore as CHB

Still a long way to go and too many passengers overall, but Carlton fan were trying to conjure an 80s arrogance vibe if they won. Complete fake arrogance, but we shut that crap down well.

This bloke plays his best footy as a deep forward. Real glimpses of his best form and more importantly he did it late in the game yesterday.

Id take Madgen over roughhead every day

Madge has be en more exposed in the past playing on genuine KPP types for extended periods of games. His current 3rd tall role is his best fit.

Everyone always complains "Bucks has no Plan B". What if our keepings off style we were playing the first half of the year is our "plan B" and we were working to get good at it, make it reliable, and get through the season? And what if the run and gun style we saw in the 2nd half is our plan A all along, and we are starting to flick the switch in a run up to finals? :think:

Said all season that the stop & prop style isn’t our game plan. Confidence is an amazing thing within a playing group.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back