Coach John Longmire - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

We are one win up with the 2nd worst percentage
I stand corrected.
I had a look at their injury list as some have pointed out & they have some 10 senior players out.
They are older most of them but those guys, Cunnington especially, just make them win another 3 or 4 games this year that they have dropped. They would have beaten us with Cunnington alone.

So I was a little too harsh on Rhys. What threw me off was that Polec & Pittard couldn't get a game these last two weeks.
We do have a far superior younger playing group IMO.

I don't know if he's the right bloke, and I don't really know how to judge his strategy or how he goes about preparing the players for each game.
But leading average tackles is BIG at revealing how the players react to him.
Hasn't lost the team and I don't think he ever has.

Players/coaches will always butt heads, even the guys on Mythbusters didn't like each other. You don't need to like each other to create a good team ethic.

I don't know if he's the right bloke, and I don't really know how to judge his strategy or how he goes about preparing the players for each game.
But leading average tackles is BIG at revealing how the players react to him.
Hasn't lost the team and I don't think he ever has.

Players/coaches will always butt heads, even the guys on Mythbusters didn't like each other. You don't need to like each other to create a good team ethic.

I agree with this sentiment. The players still believe in Longmire and he gets through to them. For a young group to be still working as hard as they are despite losing far more often than winning is a great sign imo.

We just need a lot more talent on the list than what we have now. Having Bud, Heeney, Rampe, Naismith in the side currently would certainly help but we'd still need an injection of genuine best 22 players who are in the 23-28 age range to compete with the best consistently.

I agree with this sentiment. The players still believe in Longmire and he gets through to them. For a young group to be still working as hard as they are despite losing far more often than winning is a great sign imo.

We just need a lot more talent on the list than what we have now. Having Bud, Heeney, Rampe, Naismith in the side currently would certainly help but we'd still need an injection of genuine best 22 players who are in the 23-28 age range to compete with the best consistently.
How do you know they believe in him ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been against him for a while, but I've been impressed this year. Least he's trying to get the ball moving and forward, he has evolved his game style. Now, I'd still have rathered Stewie Dew but this season I've been impressed, the only slight negative is he has gone back to the stale plan A last week of Kennedy/Parker in the middle. We were actually doing better without Kennedy and Rowbottom right in the the guts.

I don't but I'll take their effort as a relatively good approximation of it.

We've also seen a shift where we have used the corridor more. That can't be a bad thing. Our side (and squad) suits fast movement into 50.

Agreed. Let's face it we are a bottom four side at the moment, but even Ken Hinkley acknowledged at half time that we keep on coming. My main concern is being able to recruit the players that we need to become a contender again.

Agreed. Let's face it we are a bottom four side at the moment, but even Ken Hinkley acknowledged at half time that we keep on coming. My main concern is being able to recruit the players that we need to become a contender again.
Correct , the gameplan , relocation and lack of money is the worry. Brisbane have rebuilt , so can we , but i really worry about our recruiting.

We have to not accept scraps though if we miss out on our targets. That’s been a major issue imo

Correct , the gameplan , relocation and lack of money is the worry. Brisbane have rebuilt , so can we , but i really worry about our recruiting.

It all starts in the middle IMO, get that right and you will see us score more

Brisbane use to be a departure lounge but in the last couple of years they have attracted players. It’s part of the cycle.

My main concern is being able to recruit the players that we need to become a contender again.

Our hands are clearly tied with Buddy and our tendency to overpay salaries.

I think a more immediate concern is our ability to hold on to our existing players, Papley in particular.

How does Longmire's relationship with the players effect that?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back