Review Changes vs Swans - AVB, Pickett, Hannan, Hibberd OUT - ANB, Fritsch, Harmes, Smith IN

Sep 20, 2005
Hell
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Yeah was going to say ankle injuries - you can get through a game, once you stop and the boot comes off you are done for.
Never take your shoe off before you get home or you won't be able to drive the car! Important lesson kids, tie your shoes tighter and get on with the game, after all it might be your last time on your feet for a few weeks.

Xhoquelin

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Charlotte Hornets
Hannan undroppable for mine. I'd take him over Fritsch, just a better athlete and pressure player, and Bedford if we are being honest was pretty ordinary in round 1.

The Dr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hannan undroppable for mine. I'd take him over Fritsch, just a better athlete and pressure player, and Bedford if we are being honest was pretty ordinary in round 1.

Undroppale? He’s been inconsistent at best and at times awful this year, especially the past couple of games.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Undroppale? He’s been inconsistent at best and at times awful this year, especially the past couple of games.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah I love Hannan and when he’s on he’s one of our most important players, but he’s disappointingly inconsistent. Makes him very difficult to pick. If he’s doing what the coaches ask it might not show on TV but he’s been substantially less damaging of late.

Most of the side looked ordinary for large parts of round 1. Bedford wasn't a star, but solid enough and his forward pressure was good. We can't keep letting teams walk it to halfway against us.
Hannan is maybe a better player than Fritsch when on, but he's been patchy all year and his 13 touches over the past fortnight have been very meh. Hasn't been hitting the scoreboard a lot this year either. Fritsch at least is good for 1-2 goals a game (and a few bad misses, sadly).

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Yeah was going to say ankle injuries - you can get through a game, once you stop and the boot comes off you are done for.
He went into the rooms and got it assessed. He didn't just roll his ankle and keep playing

and Bedford if we are being honest was pretty ordinary in round 1.
Ordinary? As far as debuts go I've seen a hell of a lot worse. Wasn't even in our worst 10 players against WC imo.

Never take your shoe off before you get home or you won't be able to drive the car! Important lesson kids, tie your shoes tighter and get on with the game, after all it might be your last time on your feet for a few weeks.

Did the ligaments in my ankle playing basketball when I was in my early 20's. Played footy three days later after being on crutches Thursday and Friday coz it was a final. #realman

Mind you , from then on I had to get my ankles tapped super tight for footy coz they would roll so easily. Ligaments are still ****ed today but at least my ankle doesnt swell up near as much even on a full roll like the first time it happened.

Sep 20, 2005
Hell
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Did the ligaments in my ankle playing basketball when I was in my early 20's. Played footy three days later after being on crutches Thursday and Friday coz it was a final. #realman

Mind you , from then on I had to get my ankles tapped super tight for footy coz they would roll so easily. Ligaments are still f’ed today but at least my ankle doesnt swell up near as much even on a full roll like the first time it happened.
Yeah I've played days after ligament injuries in my 20's. The fracture was in two places and was last year at 38. s**t doesn't heal so quick these days.

Might be an unpopular opinion but I think Spargo may have played his last game for the club.
Bloke's an absolute dud, he's a (very) small forward, but he has not had a single tackle inside 50 the last two games and only 2 from his 5 games this year. Compared to kozzy, who has 12 for the year at an average of 1.1, which is above average. If you are playing in the forward line, you have to apply pressure which he is not doing, no wonder that the dogs were able to waltz out of their backline so easily. Charlie, it's time for you to (Spar) go

Might be an unpopular opinion but I think Spargo may have played his last game for the club.
Bloke's an absolute dud, he's a (very) small forward, but he has not had a single tackle inside 50 the last two games and only 2 from his 5 games this year. Compared to kozzy, who has 12 for the year at an average of 1.1, which is above average. If you are playing in the forward line, you have to apply pressure which he is not doing, no wonder that the dogs were able to waltz out of their backline so easily. Charlie, it's time for you to (Spar) go

I would have agreed with you earlier in the year but Spargo played well against Norf and Collingwood. Not giving up on him just yet. But he's on the watch list for sure.

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
To be fair to both Spargo and Kozzy the ball only when inside 50 30 times, I don’t think the game suited either bloke and they didn’t set the world on fire but they both appeared to be working hard and applying pressure, Spargo did have 3 tackles overall

To be fair to both Spargo and Kozzy the ball only when inside 50 30 times, I don’t think the game suited either bloke and they didn’t set the world on fire but they both appeared to be working hard and applying pressure, Spargo did have 3 tackles overall
True, but that was spargo's most all year. He's had 7 tackles and 2 tackles inside 50 from 5 games. He's averaging 8 touches a game too. So if you're not applying pressure and not getting the ball, then what are you doing.

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
True, but that was spargo's most all year. He's had 7 tackles and 2 tackles inside 50 from 5 games. He's averaging 8 touches a game too. So if you're not applying pressure and not getting the ball, then what are you doing.
Hear what you saying but there’s more to applying pressure than just tackles, his game certainly wasn’t anything special but Saturday was a tough gig for small forwards with there being very limited opportunities. He does need to hit the scoreboard more often

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Players in the gun - Hannan, Kozzie, Jones, AVB, Spargo, Wagner, OMac.

That's still a lot of passengers IMO. A third of our side are either not doing much(AVB, Jones, Kozzie) or are extremely inconsistent (Spargo, Hannan, OMac) Hibberd might not get up and Brown is filling a space until Jackson comes back. Wagner did his job I thought and should stay in the side, however clearly isn't a long term holder of his position.

Any idea where Hore and Petty are? I'd love to see Hore replace Wagner, and Petty replace Brown. And I'm sure this will happen next year.

I wouldn't change a thing about our backline. It is set up really well and seeing May/Lever thrive. Hopefully Hibberd is ok to go. If not I can see Lockhart coming in to replace as he is an attacking small defender.

Midfield is just going to have to find a way to get their groove going again. Been beaten last couple of weeks quite convincingly tbh. The ability of Trac to go forward made our mids look much better than what we were on the weekend.

Forward of centre is where changes might be made. Can't see Weid/Brown(did his job) or Melksham lose their spot, but everyone else is up for debate. Koz needs a rest IMO. Really struggling to have any impact. But I'd give him 1 more game before resting him. Try him alongside Bedford/Bennell. I'd try and see if Bedford can add something to the mix. A bit of pace and pressure hopefully. We really lacked that last two weeks in the front half.

OUT

Jones (purely for that error before half time)
Spargo (creative but struggled to have an impact last two weeks)

IN

Bedford (Adds pace and personally I'd love to see Bennell/Koz/Bedford together to see what they can do)
Bennell (I feel with Jones out we don't lose much in regards to pace etc)

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Jones' mistake was terrible but he came back reasonably well in the 2nd half and was another cool head deep in defence. Was interesting seeing him almost play back pocket.

Bedford, Bennell and Fritsch in for Kozzy, Hannan and VDB would be my changes. Maybe TMac in for OMac if we throw the towel in and try him in defence. He better stay out of May's way though.

If Hibbo is sore then bring in Lockhart

Tend to agree those sort of mistakes happen. Gawn had one as well just didn't end up in a goal.

Not sure we'll be making too many changes.

Oscar out, maybe Hannan for Fritsch.

In - would love to say Bennell, but I think Harmes is more likely.

I would say there wouldn't be much change this makes sense to me.

Islanda22

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2014
Australia
AFL Club
Melbourne
Jones and O McDonald should never play for the Club again

Jones brain snap could have cost us the game

Outs - Jones, O McDonald, Hibberd (Managed), Pickett (Managed)
Ins - Bedford, Fritsch, Harmes, Jetta

B - Tomlinson, May, Jetta
HB - Salem, Lever, Rivers
C - Langdon, Viney, Vandenberg
HF - Petracca, Weideman, Hannan
F - Fritsch, Brown, Melksham
Foll - Gawn, Oliver, Brayshaw
Int - Bedford, Harmes, Wagener, Spargo

Jones and O McDonald should never play for the Club again

Jones brain snap could have cost us the game

Outs - Jones, O McDonald, Hibberd (Managed), Pickett (Managed)
Ins - Bedford, Fritsch, Harmes, Jetta

B - Tomlinson, May, Jetta
HB - Salem, Lever, Rivers
C - Langdon, Viney, Vandenberg
HF - Petracca, Weideman, Hannan
F - Fritsch, Brown, Melksham
Foll - Gawn, Oliver, Brayshaw
Int - Bedford, Harmes, Wagener, Spargo
Jetta in over lockhart? Seems like Nev's done and so is jonesy.

Dr Truth

Senior List
Jul 12, 2010
Dederang
AFL Club
Melbourne
Spot on

Back