Draft Watcher PMBangers 2020 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I don't see your KPD stocks as reliable enough injury wise currently, with very little depth (Ryan is not a KPD nor should he be forced to be) especially with O'Reilly delisted as well. DGB is a good prospect as a second/ third KPD going into the future, and could possibly start ahead of Hamling (assuming Pearce takes the number 1 opposition KPF, then DGB and Logue play on the 2nd/3rd with some freedom to roam.) I feel his distribution especially is under rated, and would add to that good user brigade alongside Young and Ryan, you could have some of the best defensive transition play in the league when he hits his straps. Alternatively I considered Zane Trew as a good stoppage player who could come in a shadow Mundy for a year or two and learn that craft, Perkins also wouldn't look at of place, but I still think he's behind Trew. I think the dream for Freo is O'Driscoll, especially as Mundy gets a bit older and Fyfe approaching 30, having that tall bid bodied midfielder coming through would be good
There are three major problems with this though.

A: You don't use top 10 picks on depth
B: If we did draft a top end KPD, they would need to be more the 200cm all rounder (ala Moore) and not the roll off player like Lever. Without Pearce (especially) and Hamling we have nobody to play that role and if we still have either or both then
C: Draft one later. We already have a top 10 pick tied up in a KPD, we don't need another especially when I already extensively demonstrated that it was completely unnecessary to use high end picks on KPDs somewhere else on this board.

Lets be modest and say that only one of Pearce or Hamling stick around. Then we have whichever one, Logue and Cox as first choice - perfectly adequate. Draft some depth with a late pick. Dixon has also been training as a defender and doing alright apparently.

Contrast this to improving our midfield as you say or our forward line where the potential improvement is much larger and I think you will find it hard to justify too.

View attachment 949714

I'm generally getting less and less confident with these as I go with watching new footage and re-evaluating what I think a teams needs are. I'll admit as a phantom drafter I do get sucked into going for needs > best available generally and I think it reflects in the phantoms, so this one I've tried to be a bit looser with that.
Some of the weirder ones I'll address tho:
- O'Driscoll was great on the weekend in the midfield for Perths league team, he looks to have been working on his kicking, or at least I feel i'ts improved gradually through the year. Some might say he's similar to what they've got as an inside mid, and to an extent I agree, but overall if they're looking for a midfielder he's probably the best available
- Cox I don't feel is that big of a reach. Gold Coast need a guy thats gonna be able to match up on the 200cm type KPF's going into the future and I think Cox fits that bill better than DGB, they're both around the mark for the Suns pick
-I've been cautious of the Perkins hype personally, but I think it's obvious he's destined to go pretty high, considered him for every team from Essendon
-It was Neale or Baldwin and after reading some of the Brisbane board I think Neale is the better pick for them, as they need a prospect that's a good chance to fill both a KPF and Ruck role, again don't feel it's a massive reach, especially if they only take the two picks.
Some of my thinking is, if you’re a team that needs a bit of everything, especially if you’re outside the top 5 picks, look tall first, before thinking of a midfielder.

If you’re not a finals bound team, and might possibly not make the 8 next year, consider that the early part of next year’s draft looks to be stacked with mids and skilled smaller players.

So teams such as Adelaide, North, Hawthorn and Sydney should consider drafting a KPP with their first pick this year, if it’s a choice between a tall prospect and a midfielder of similar ability.

View attachment 949714

I'm generally getting less and less confident with these as I go with watching new footage and re-evaluating what I think a teams needs are. I'll admit as a phantom drafter I do get sucked into going for needs > best available generally and I think it reflects in the phantoms, so this one I've tried to be a bit looser with that.
- O'Driscoll was great on the weekend in the midfield for Perths league team, he looks to have been working on his kicking, or at least I feel i'ts improved gradually through the year. Some might say he's similar to what they've got as an inside mid, and to an extent I agree, but overall if they're looking for a midfielder he's probably the best available
- Cox I don't feel is that big of a reach. Gold Coast need a guy thats gonna be able to match up on the 200cm type KPF's going into the future and I think Cox fits that bill better than DGB, they're both around the mark for the Suns pick
-I've been cautious of the Perkins hype personally, but I think it's obvious he's destined to go pretty high, considered him for every team from Essendon
-It was Neale or Baldwin and after reading some of the Brisbane board I think Neale is the better pick for them, as they need a prospect that's a good chance to fill both a KPF and Ruck role, again don't feel it's a massive reach, especially if they only take the two picks.
I totally agree with O'driscoll if still on the board at our pick. We are desperate for a big bodied mid, he is a point of difference to Mitchell, O'meara, Worpel.

View attachment 949714

There's surely no chance that Adelaide and North will let Sydney get away with picking up Campbell AND another early first rounder.

Sydney are going to need to trade up or down to make that happen.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

There's surely no chance that Adelaide and North will let Sydney get away with picking up Campbell AND another early first rounder.

completely agree

Geelong with a few picks might be interested in getting one top 5/10

I really don't think clubs bid out of spite, if they don't want Campbell the most there won't be a bid. Campbell's certainly a top 5 talent, but is he better than JUH? Hollands? McDonald? I don't think so

Poulter's had a big slide over the past few phantoms.
Yeah haven't really been able to nail down a position I see as an easy transition at the next level. Has some really good athletic and skill traits but hazardous around contests at time which has made me doubt what effect he'll have in the midfield. Maybe a Wing/Third tall forward is where he finds himself at the next level, so it then becomes a question of who you rare more in that role on the wing, and I prefer Carroll.

Are there any taggers in this year's draft?
I don't think any U18 playing as a tagger has much hope of getting drafted tbh, generally a role given to athletic players with poor skills. Maybe someone mid/late like Finn Goringe? It's hard to say really

Yeah haven't really been able to nail down a position I see as an easy transition at the next level. Has some really good athletic and skill traits but hazardous around contests at time which has made me doubt what effect he'll have in the midfield. Maybe a Wing/Third tall forward is where he finds himself at the next level, so it then becomes a question of who you rare more in that role on the wing, and I prefer Carroll.
I heard Cal Twomey compare Carroll to Hugh McCluggage, do you think that's a good comparison?

I heard Cal Twomey compare Carroll to Hugh McCluggage, do you think that's a good comparison?
I'm not a massive fan of comparisons just because people get nitpicky, but I do see them playing a similar role as a true winger with capacity to go forward or into the centre circle. Carroll relys more on his game sense and composure to win footy and clearances than athletic traits, so if thats how you view Clug then it's accurate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great minds think alike, he doesn’t hit the scoreboard quite as regularly as McClug did but is certainly in that mould.
Considering how bad Clug's kicking for goal has become, I'm not disappointed that Carroll hits the scoreboard less regularly.

I'm not a massive fan of comparisons just because people get nitpicky, but I do see them playing a similar role as a true winger with capacity to go forward or into the centre circle. Carroll relys more on his game sense and composure to win footy and clearances than athletic traits, so if thats how you view Clug then it's accurate
It is. I guess I'm mainly asking because we'll be looking for a Mitch Robinson replacement very soon, and if we can get another Clug on the other side of the ground, that'd be ideal considering what Fagan likes in his wingers.

Great minds think alike, he doesn’t hit the scoreboard quite as regularly as McClug did but is certainly in that mould.
Next level do you see Carroll more as a winger or rover? I know he's played that centre role this year but I really like his skills in space especially

It is. I guess I'm mainly asking because we'll be looking for a Mitch Robinson replacement very soon, and if we can get another Clug on the other side of the ground, that'd be ideal considering what Fagan likes in his wingers.
Yep, I had Carroll going to you guys previously but think his stocks are rising, especially as the comparisons start rolling in, I'm waiting for someone to bring up the 'Pendlebury-esque' comparison and everyone reacts by putting him top 10. Even Poulter I think would be a good option as a potential Winger with a different style to Carroll

Watched much of Kyle Langford?

Can't say I have, from what I've seen I gather he's a big whipping boy at the bombers :tearsofjoy: Is the worry that Poulter ends up like that?
He looks like a midfield beast but has never had the killer instinct for it. Now he's finally being allowed to play his natural role as a high half-forward he's blossoming into a damaging contributor (and suddenly isn't a whipping boy). So I wouldn't call it a worry as such, just pondering where Poulter is best suited.

I really don't think clubs bid out of spite, if they don't want Campbell the most there won't be a bid. Campbell's certainly a top 5 talent, but is he better than JUH? Hollands? McDonald? I don't think so
Yeah you could basically type the same thing about Tom Green or Liam Henry. Academy + F/S types tend to slide (though more from Top 3 to Top 10).

It would be a big turnaround from normal trends if Campbell gets bidded on by Adelaide/North.

What happens if Adelaide or north Melbourne bid out of spite and then the swans don’t match the bid and take the player they really wanted ? And then Campbell gets traded back home anyway ? Lose lose for you guys 😂😂😂

What happens if Adelaide or north Melbourne bid out of spite and then the swans don’t match the bid and take the player they really wanted ? And then Campbell gets traded back home anyway ? Lose lose for you guys 😂😂😂
If that were to happen I’d be surprised if he went back to Sydney I’d almost feel rejected if i were him GWS maybe but Sydney I’d think not

What happens if Adelaide or north Melbourne bid out of spite and then the swans don’t match the bid and take the player they really wanted ? And then Campbell gets traded back home anyway ? Lose lose for you guys
Yeah, he'd be in a mad rush to get to the club that didn't rate him highly enough to match the bid....

Anyhow, if you bid on a player you do so with the intention of drafting him. I can't speak for Adelaide's needs, but Campbell is pretty perfect for ours.

It's all irrelevant anyway though, he's going to be a Swan come draft night.

Yes, I don't see your KPD stocks as reliable enough injury wise currently, with very little depth (Ryan is not a KPD nor should he be forced to be) especially with O'Reilly delisted as well. DGB is a good prospect as a second/ third KPD going into the future, and could possibly start ahead of Hamling (assuming Pearce takes the number 1 opposition KPF, then DGB and Logue play on the 2nd/3rd with some freedom to roam.) I feel his distribution especially is under rated, and would add to that good user brigade alongside Young and Ryan, you could have some of the best defensive transition play in the league when he hits his straps. Alternatively I considered Zane Trew as a good stoppage player who could come in a shadow Mundy for a year or two and learn that craft, Perkins also wouldn't look at of place, but I still think he's behind Trew. I think the dream for Freo is O'Driscoll, especially as Mundy gets a bit older and Fyfe approaching 30, having that tall bid bodied midfielder coming through would be good
It would be an amazing investment in our defence given Conca and Hill join Logue and Young as top 10 draft picks in that area of the ground. Aish and Cerra also spending considerable time there. The move to squeeze Hogan in seems to have receded.

Hill Logue Conca
Young DGB Aish/Cerra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back