Player Watch #44 Jake Lloyd

Remove this Banner Ad

sbyiYhsV.jpg

Jake Lloyd

Player Profile

Jake Lloyd is a ball magnet, an endurance machine, a clean user of the footy and a calming influence on the Sydney Swans’ half-back line. The former rookie-listed Swan averaged 27.22 disposals per match between 2016 and 2019 and won the club’s 2018 Bob Skilton Medal. Lloyd became the quickest Swan in history to reach 100 senior games when he ran out against Hawthorn at the MCG in Round 8, 2018. He was then recognised as one of the best players in the league when he was selected for Victoria in the State of Origin match for bushfire relief in February 2019. Draft history: 2013 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 15; 2014 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Jake Lloyd

DOB: 20 September 1993
DEBUT: 2013
DRAFT: 2014
RECRUITED FROM: Horsham Demons (Vic)/North Ballarat U18

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
Haven't watched as many games as I would like this year, but from what I have seen he might be a dual Bob Skilton this year?

Most consistent and least injured.

Yeh I'd say he's in the lead currently. I'd say Mills might be 2nd and then maybe Papley although he's had a down 5 weeks after a blistering start, Parker will be in contention but his last month hasn't been great. Heeney, Rampe and Kennedy all missed too many games to compete by the end of the year of course. Then Rowbottom and Dawson will be top 10 having played every game and played pretty well all year. Cunningham will poll very well too.

I'd guess the top 10 right now would look something like:

1. Lloyd
2. Mills
3. Papley
4. Rampe (right now only missed 2 and would still be very high up but will end up out of the top 10)
5. Parker
6. Cunningham
7. Rowbottom
8. Dawson
9. Florent
10. Fox

Yeh I'd say he's in the lead currently. I'd say Mills might be 2nd and then maybe Papley although he's had a down 5 weeks after a blistering start, Parker will be in contention but his last month hasn't been great. Heeney, Rampe and Kennedy all missed too many games to compete by the end of the year of course. Then Rowbottom and Dawson will be top 10 having played every game and played pretty well all year. Cunningham will poll very well too.

1. Lloyd
2. Mills
3. Papley
4. Rampe (right now only missed 2 and would still be very high up but will end up out of the top 10)
5. Parker
6. Cunningham
7. Rowbottom
8. Dawson
9. Florent
10. Fox

Seeing a B&F top 10 without Kennedy is confusing and scary

1. Lloyd
2. Mills
3. Papley
5. Parker
6. Cunningham
7. Rowbottom
8. Dawson
9. Florent
10. Fox

i think parker will be higher than that, i agree more where you have him though

cunningham and fox interesting ,

i think rampe should be leading until he is out

gut says parker will get it though from the coaches

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
I can see him making the step up into the leadership group in 2021. It stood out to me in Longmire's intro of Lloyd last night that his leadership was noticeably improved this year. It's been notable to me that even as he's been one of our best players the last 3-4 years, he hasn't been in the leadership group. And not all best players are leaders necessarily, but seems to me that Lloyd has matured into more of a leader now than he once was.

Very well deserved 2nd Skilton.

I have expressed my opinion on Jake as the player.

But seriously that tash needs a freakin' award of it all. Top line tash work.

So in appreciation I present a humble celebration of Jakes' tash

I have expressed my opinion on Jake as the player.

But seriously that tash needs a freakin' award of it all. Top line tash work.

So in appreciation I present a humble celebration of Jakes' tash

Hahaha thanks for that, I freaking loooooove that movie! Pretty certain Seth MacFarlane and I are the only two people on earth that do, but stupid as it is, something about it makes me roar with laughter.

And yep, Lloydy rocks a great soup strainer :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
You don't be 6th in the AFL for metres gained (in a bottom 3 side) by doing backwards 15 metre kicks.

This is one area he has improved in IMO

Oct 18, 2019
Cyril's pocket
AFL Club
Sydney
Well done Lloydos. What stood out to me this year was his defensive intensity went to another level, probably more so once Ramps went down. Perhaps it was the added leadership responsibility he took on which pushed this new level. A big reason why our back six looked pretty solid by years end was due to his growth in this part of his game. He also seemed to enjoy the new role/gameplan to be more direct and made most of his disposals count.

I too had become frustrated by the (probably instructional) dinky sideways kicking and stagnant movement, but was reminded why he quickly became a favourite of mine and thoroughly enjoyed his year and more rounded game.

Continuing to get the best out of himself and love a no nonsense defender

It will always be strange in the record books that Jake has the same amount of B&Fs as Kirk, Parker and McVeigh, and more than Jack, ROK, Hall, Franklin, Bolton, Richards etc to name a few.

It will always be strange in the record books that Jake has the same amount of B&Fs as Kirk, Parker and McVeigh, and more than Jack, ROK, Hall, Franklin, Bolton, Richards etc to name a few.
What's the bet he'll get one more before his career is done to match Goodes and JPK?

I don't agree. In years past he hasn't been a very remarkable player but he has been undeniably good, with his reliable performances and consistency his obvious strength.

But this year he has just been really... not good.

I don't agree. In years past he hasn't been a very remarkable player but he has been undeniably good, with his reliable performances and consistency his obvious strength.

But this year he has just been really... not good.

I didn't watch as much as I would like last year but I it looks like I posted last year saying it should be his B&F in 2020.

I thought Parker was stiff in 2018

Olian

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney
From the Swans website.

Lloyd races into 4000 club
Following the Sydney Swans bye in Round 14, we take a look back at the statistics of defender Jake Lloyd, who recently cruised into an elite club, becoming just the 18th player in Swans history to reach 4000 possessions.

Not one of those possessions went more than 15 metres… credit to Lloyd he knows how to get the ball (mainly kick ins).

We can knock him all we like but he's been our most attacking weapon from defensive 50 the last month and a half and the only one whose shown any desire to break a game open from the back half. Stoked with his performance this year after a sketchy start.

wills2g

Premiership Player
Jun 15, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
We can knock him all we like but he's been our most attacking weapon from defensive 50 the last month and a half and the only one whose shown any desire to break a game open from the back half. Stoked with his performance this year after a sketchy start.

He has been taking much risker and aggressive kicks out of D50 which is good to see

Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
How could you not love this bloke? Gets the job done to an exceptionally high level every single week, ridiculously fair and humble as a player and person. Turning into one of the club greats of his era before our very eyes.
There was a great article on him and his training regime which his father (who was offered a tryout for an AFL club but sort of failed due to his fitness)instilled in his kids. He setup a gym in the backyard and the kids would get up at 4am, I think and run kms up some nearby hill and come back and train in the gym. He even hired a personal trainer for his kids who was brutal on them, in a nice way. I remember reading about Lloyd's first AFL Draft where he failed to land a spot. Afterwards he got up and went for a run up that hill again.

There was a great article on him and his training regime which his father (who was offered a tryout for an AFL club but sort of failed due to his fitness)instilled in his kids. He setup a gym in the backyard and the kids would get up at 4am, I think and run kms up some nearby hill and come back and train in the gym. He even hired a personal trainer for his kids who was brutal on them, in a nice way. I remember reading about Lloyd's first AFL Draft where he failed to land a spot. Afterwards he got up and went for a run up that hill again.
2014 https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...gh-life-with-sydney-swans-20140605-zrz39.html
Part of Lloyd's training regimen included morning runs up Mount Arapiles, which rises above the Wimmera plains, sometimes as early as 5.30am.
"It's about 5k up, 5k down. It was a regular thing I did once or twice a week, all those little extras certainly helped," Lloyd said.
"Running up and down hills is a lot different [to track running]. I thought it helped my footy and endurance. Mentally it's pretty challenging at times, it's definitely held me in good stead. I wanted to do something different. I wanted to keep working hard, I thought it would be a good challenge for myself. Dad was doing it, and it's not too far away from home, so it was pretty easy to have a run."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back