Autopsy Round 15, 2020: Hawks lose to the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Well this game at least confirmed to me we aren't intentionally tanking.

If we were tanking we would be able to control the scoreline to some degree and make it a close loss.

That was so truly dreadful there's no question that we really are just that sh*t.
Close loss would be pointless, now we’re a real chance for pick 3. Should cop a bath from the saints and hopefully swans don’t lose by much against dees we will be 3rd last

If someone asked you rnd 23 2016 when Richmond lost by 100+ in Sydney to do what your asking me they would laugh at you. They won the premiership the next year.
we have a core group of players any team that has that can build a flag team.
If you don’t think that
Omeara
Mitchell
Worpel
Wingard
Frost
Impey
Shiels
Gunston
Breust
Hardwick
sicily ( injured but he’ll be back)
And add youngsters like day scrimshaw jiath and maybe McGuinness. That’s a good group of young middle and older talent. Than it’s a case of getting the best out of cousins hanrahan who shown they can do it, to do that consistently. And if we can pick up 2 impactful players things change quickly.
Are we assuming Smith will go as he is one of our most important players still

Well it was a pleasure watching Burgoyne.. what he did in 2013 prelim will never be forgotten... can't say the same about Stratton.
You should rewatch the end of that game after Burgoyne got us ahead. A certain B Stratton took some absolute cracking marks stopping Geelong getting the ball out of our forward 50.

No not weak because this isn’t a normal season and he gets it the players have been away from their homes for 3 months and it’s broken them, odds are we won’t fire a shot for rest of the season, that doesn’t mean there can’t be a bounce back next season.all things being equal we are a middle of the road team, but things aren’t equal we’ve had the worst fixture bar none and it’s broken them even tonight although effort was rubbish one team gets 5 day break other 9 and it’s our home game on their home deck. What a joke.

Yeah these excuses don't wash.

Clarko isnt ruthless at all, king of Excuses now days. Can’t even take responsibility and call out the players piss weak effort because his afraid to hurt feelings, just looks for more excuses. Done it all year. Truth hurts sorry boys.

A worry thing for me was Mitchell Lewis.

I know some on here have him as the future, but my response to that is 198cm KPF's don't get picked in the 70's if there aren't some worrying flaws. He always struck me as someone with concentration issues.

Tonight, he looked completely lost out there. He was starting as the FF in the goal square. However once he left there, he was running around as if he had NFI what he was doing. Didn't know when to lead, where to lead, where to position himself for the kick to nooneinparticular and didn't know how to get into a contest when he was out of it.

At one point he was jogging around in a giant circle 20-40m out from goals. I know the players have predetermined positions they run to and it was like him seeing everyone run around to their spots confused him to the point of losing himself in the F50.

You should rewatch the end of that game after Burgoyne got us ahead. A certain B Stratton took some absolute cracking marks stopping Geelong getting the ball out of our forward 50.

stratts taking down danger when danger was in hero mode (or selfish mode)

Clarko isnt ruthless at all, king of Excuses now days. Can’t even take responsibility and call out the players piss weak effort because his afraid to hurt feelings, just looks for more excuses. Done it all year. Truth hurts sorry boys.

‘having one genuine home game on home deck is no excuse?

This year is a shitshow. Gil is running this mobile circus to keep interest in the code until next year, while other codes falling off radar. A few clubs in the premiership window are eyeing off a flag, but they know its not the same. At the bottom end of the ladder a bunch of footy clubs don't give a toss and are running out on the ground trying not to look like they tanking. After coming off a second 5 day break, we just played a well-rested Adelaide (9 day break) on their home deck. We played poorly and lost by 35 points. It was their first, and probably only win of the season.

I am happy for this 10 weeks to be a reality check on our list. Some hard decisions - absolutely. But I also don't want the club to panic and overreact circa Richmond of 10 years ago. And some of the talk on here about AC is crazy stuff that sounds like Robbo or Barrett.

We will take our medicine. But then lookout.
Well said mate. Exactly how I feel.

Stratton has been an amazing defender up until as recently as his mullet days in 2018...

But since 2019 he’s form drop off has been dramatic and unfortunately for him it has coincided with his captaincy so it’s magnified x100...

I never understood his appointment as Captain in the first place... Maybe the lesson here is that the club shouldn’t leave such an important decision in the hands of a bunch of millennials.

I conceded we'd be lucky to play finals right from the word go. Apparently it was too much to ask to have a win over a team who hadn't won a game all year. Not unexpected, but disappointing nonetheless. All my Adelaide friends over here, as usual, carrying on like they've just won a Grand Final. I hate it when the Hawks play in Adelaide. That's when we reach into the bag to produce our worst performances. We've had some shockers over the years in Adelaide. I've got to the stage where I'd rather forfeit than play here. :(

Looking forward to a massive review and cleanout for 2021.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one is holding him to account, not even Jeff, also no coincidence since Fagan has left, we have made many poor decisions imo.

I know some on here have him as the future, but my response to that is 198cm KPF's don't get picked in the 70's if there aren't some worrying flaws. He always struck me as someone with concentration issues.

Tonight, he looked completely lost out there. He was starting as the FF in the goal square. However once he left there, he was running around as if he had NFI what he was doing. Didn't know when to lead, where to lead, where to position himself for the kick to nooneinparticular and didn't know how to get into a contest when he was out of it.

At one point he was jogging around in a giant circle 20-40m out from goals. I know the players have predetermined positions they run to and it was like him seeing everyone run around to their spots confused him to the point of losing himself in the F50.

I was hopeful that he could be a part of our future, but he has been terrible this year, although bringing in Patton and relegating him to standby wouldn't help his motivation, a bit like training McEvoy as CHB and then using him to save a losing ruck situation which has happened a few times this year, but i agree on Lewis, showed some good signs last year, gone backwards and may never recover from here on out, unfortunately.

Never in it. They wanted it more than us. Lack of skill. Lack of effort.

Gunston and Scrim our best. Not much else.

Of the players possibly playing to justify their list spot :
Stratton - too slow, error prone, poor game
Burgoyne - too slow, off the pace, did nothing to suggest trying to go on next year would be a good idea.
Frawley - was the best of the old timers but still only average.
Cuz - offensively shows something but is lazy defensively which might ultimately cost him his Hawthorn career.
Glass - smashed early and surely must have played the game out sore. Hard to be too critical based on that.
CJ - made alot of costly defensive positioning errors. Not a great game but still learning.
Ollie - frustratingly inconsistent.
Minch - also a frustrating player. Showed glimpses that he can do some good but still mixed with bad. Two very good goals the last two weeks. Probably today was the best he has looked in Hawks jumper. Not as bad a player as most on here make out.

I was hopeful that he could be a part of our future, but he has been terrible this year, although bringing in Patton and relegating him to standby wouldn't help his motivation, a bit like training McEvoy as CHB and then using him to save a losing ruck situation which has happened a few times this year, but i agree on Lewis, showed some good signs last year, gone backwards and may never recover from here on out, unfortunately.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, if Lewis is given as much time as TOB (ie. 7-8 years), he'll be a 40-50gpy key forward.

What did we all expect really?

We are decimated. We just lost our best player in Sic, and have a bunch of seasoned players out in Frost Jaeger Hendo, Smith, shiels.. as well as Day who is performing like one. On the park their replacements are basically blokes auditioning to not be cut in Hanrahan, Glass, Cousins (who might be safe) o brien ect. Then we have a bunch of cooked senior players in Stratton, Frawley and maybe now Burgoyne, and 2 decent players in Lewis & Impey who have just had injury interrupted years.

Our list has holes but god damn teams need luck sometimes and we have had none. The team we fielded today had every chance of losing. Why are we so upset or surprised.

Also on Minchington, he is 26. He was in our bests today, and i wouldnt be against offering him a contract for next year. Chances are we will have alot of holes, none of the other forward pockets deserve games. Don't know why he is copping it. Anyone can see that hes a far more solid and afl ready player than hanrahan, glass, obrien and with a bit of luck could still be a player with 5 seasons in him

The performance was horrendous and there's no shying away from it, but perhaps it could've been foreseen -playing a home game in Adelaide vs Adelaide on a Tuesday off consecutive 5 day breaks, with nothing to play for, with a number of key players missing.

It's been a s**t year. It's been made difficult with our fixture, being away from home, the injuries mounting, loss of belief & confidence from losing games, horrific umpiring, not being able to train properly, not being able to get away from footy 24/7.

Call it excuses or call it reasons. Clarkson alluded to it in the presser, he can't really unload on people, they're all doing it tough as it is whilst also with living in each other's pockets every single day.

We just have to get to the end of the season.

I think those here that believe we're going to linger around the bottom 4 for the next few years are going to be pleasantly surprised at how quickly we'll emerge from this slump.

I expected us to lose tonight, but I also expect us to play finals next year.

Not taking any credit away from what he did that night... its more about his care factor over the last few years. Burgoyne while body isn't able to, tries his heart out every game.

This pretty much, He's had a horrific year, Terms of Injurys and form, He finished off last year looking like he might turn into a solid 30-50 goal a year forward and 200 games, It's either hes been injured and lost his craft this year completely. I dont mind the s**t year as long as you see some progress with some kids. Hes looked absolutely lost at points. Leading timing is off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back