Hawthorn’s decline

Remove this Banner Ad

Can’t win them all champ . If I’m not mistaken you guys gave a first rounder for Rhys Stanley no clubs perfect

Mmm we gave up Pick 21 for Stanley and Pick 60, not Pick 10, a Future 2nd, Pick 58 and Acres, for Hill and a Future 3rd...biiig difference.

Not disagreeing with your premise re: Hawthorn and Essendon, was more pointing out, that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones

Mmm we gave up Pick 21 for Stanley and Pick 60, not Pick 10, a Future 2nd, Pick 58 and Acres, for Hill and a Future 3rd...biiig difference.

Not disagreeing with your premise re: Hawthorn and Essendon, was more pointing out, that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones
Ohh he champed you. Saints supporters handing out drafting advice. Lol, 54 years.

They need to, but they won't. They will make sure Adelaide get pick 2 one way or another.

Side note, is the forum screwing up for anyone else? A lot of posts have disappeared.
Yep. Only showing posts from last Friday. Was a little joke in that Adelaide- stance. Haha, I’m not funny. AFL will be inconsistent as usual and will go with the almighty $$$.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poppy reminds me of Sandilands in the sense that both were on their respective teams lists way longer than I thought given their output in the final few years.
Sandilands was a rucking great/Club legend that was kept on to support/nurture Darcy as well as impart attitude/ethics on th young playing group.
When he played he still played well just couldn’t get out on the park enough.

I thought at the start of 2020, Hawthorn would make the finals and possibly the top 4 with Tom Mitchell back.

Now they’re rock bottom after a loss to the previously winless Adelaide.

Fastest decline for a team which made 4 straight grand finals from 2012-15 and winning a 3peat.
Um no not fastest decline. Brisbane was 4th from bottom Just 2 seasons after playing the grand final in 2004.

Mitchell trade was excellent value but the JOM and Wingard trades don’t look good at all in hindsight. Sicily is a big loss (Should be their captain) but geez they need to clean out the old blokes and take some pain for the next couple years. Not a great year to bottom out either as the draft is super compromised and recruiters have stuff all footage from the u18s. Fortunately for the Hawkes fans they’ll find that supporting a sh*t team does not actually make your knowledge of football worse.

We should have started moving some of those older players out earlier - we've hung onto players who are either past it (eg Stratton, Puopolo) or will never make it (O'Brien). Good hard clean out is required - I was there watching them in the mid to late 90s (after the heights of the 80s) and the early 00s so I've been there when we've been poo. It's part of the cycle of the game - if the devil approached me in 2012 with a contract for my soul in return for a threepeat and a drop off afterwards, I'd have signed in blood immediately.

Some of the trade ins have been busts but overall it's a strategy that has served us incredibly well. However we've stymied development of younger players by hanging on to older players well past their use by date.

We should have started moving some of those older players out earlier - we've hung onto players who are either past it (eg Stratton, Puopolo) or will never make it (O'Brien). Good hard clean out is required - I was there watching them in the mid to late 90s (after the heights of the 80s) and the early 00s so I've been there when we've been poo. It's part of the cycle of the game - if the devil approached me in 2012 with a contract for my soul in return for a threepeat and a drop off afterwards, I'd have signed in blood immediately.

Some of the trade ins have been busts but overall it's a strategy that has served us incredibly well. However we've stymied development of younger players by hanging on to older players well past their use by date.
Its no cycle. Geelong have never gone bottom 4. Hawthorn Sucks because you suck. Not because of some imaginary cycle.

Its no cycle. Geelong have never gone bottom 4. Hawthorn Sucks because you suck. Not because of some imaginary cycle.
Hawthorn won 3 since you won your last one. Let's see how Geelong look in a couple of years when selwood, danger, Hawkins, Taylor, Ablett, blicavs, etc are gone.

Based on the press conference it doesn't seem like they are going to the draft, at least not heavily. Clarko thinks they can bounce back. This is the moment he secures his genius legacy or his crazy Voss moment.

Get your old blokes out other clubs, Hawks will be in the market it seems.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back