Hawthorn’s decline

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Based on the press conference it doesn't seem like they are going to the draft, at least not heavily. Clarko thinks they can bounce back. This is the moment he secures his genius legacy or his crazy Voss moment.

Get your old blokes out other clubs, Hawks will be in the market it seems.
This makes me think he knows we are not going to be contending with this current group.

00A0C7B9-3242-42FA-B25A-91BB2916FECC.jpeg

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I agree he probably realises it is a way off, but I don't think he is thinking 5 years at the draft. I think he thinks 2-3 years by using FA and trades to compliment some picks.

It will be interesting to see what Clarkson does. I could easily see them going to the draft with pick 3 or 4, but at the same time it would not surprise me one bit if Clarkson tried to pick up a 23 or 24 year old gun with that pick either.

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
I mean we went hard and that is why we are where we are now.

We gave up a ton to try and remain competitive and steal a flag. It has obviously failed but i can live with it as long as they now acknowledge the failure and look to rebuild.
In fairness to Hawthorn, their obvious weakness now is their forward line, and I think they regarded themselves as very good things to land Tom Lynch. If they'd managed that, it would have been a bit of a team-changer.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
It will be interesting to see what Clarkson does. I could easily see them going to the draft with pick 3 or 4, but at the same time it would not surprise me one bit if Clarkson tried to pick up a 23 or 24 year old gun with that pick either.
I'm sure most clubs would happily give up pick 3/4 for a 23/24 yo gun. Which gun is going to line up to go to the oldest team that recently finished bottom 4 though? I don't think they have anywhere near the pulling power they used to (although probably still some whilst Clarko is there).

It will be amazing if they somehow replace the quality players that are near or over 30 within a year or two without drafting most of them.

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
Unless more gun father/sons fall in their lap they’ll be bottom 4 by 2023. Bookmark it

Lol people have been saying this since 2010.

We literally only have Hawkins, Sel, Duncan and Taylor remaining from our 2011 flag. Rebuilt our entire list on the run, whilst not finishing any lower than 9th - defied the equalization process unlike Hawthorn and Sydney (a flag in 2013 and/or 2019 would have made this look a lot better which I definitely acknowledge is a failure on our part).

The only father-son on our list besides Hawkins is Jed Bews and Oscar Brownless - I hardly think those two are the difference between Top 2 and Bottom 4. Hawkins will hurt, but bottom 4 is wishful thinking, and he has at least 2 years left.

We also have three 1st rounders this year and are currently sitting 2nd. Selwood isn't currently playing, and Ablett isn't really needed. We've also never finished lower than 12th since the VFL became the AFL - it's just not in our dna.

I reckon you'll be bottom 4 before we are, and you can bookmark that.

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
Based on the press conference it doesn't seem like they are going to the draft, at least not heavily. Clarko thinks they can bounce back. This is the moment he secures his genius legacy or his crazy Voss moment.

Get your old blokes out other clubs, Hawks will be in the market it seems.
But he does have a point on the draft being compromised. All these dodgy academy arrangements mean you may not be getting the value you once did by finishing bottom 4

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
I thought at the start of 2020, Hawthorn would make the finals and possibly the top 4 with Tom Mitchell back.

Now they’re rock bottom after a loss to the previously winless Adelaide.

Fastest decline for a team which made 4 straight grand finals from 2012-15 and winning a 3peat.

Brisbane ring any bells?

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
We literally only have Hawkins, Sel, Duncan and Taylor remaining from our 2011 flag. Rebuilt our entire list on the run, whilst not finishing any lower than 9th - defied the equalization process unlike Hawthorn and Sydney (a flag in 2013 and/or 2019 would have made this look a lot better which I definitely acknowledge is a failure on our part).
Our ability to pick up Moneyball talent has been pretty extraordinary, to be honest. Menegola and Kelly out of the WAFL, Blicavs out of Category B, Tom Stewart from our own VFL side, Dalhaus through FA, Rohan for peanuts...

99cents

Premiership Player
Dec 4, 2011
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Geelong Cats
I suspect there's quite a few in the brown and gold eyeing their third club about now...
How many will follow clarko wherever he lands?

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Let's not kid ourselves, we didn't go bottom four because one PFD fell into our lap.
You think danger was the difference between being a top four side and a bottom four side?

even wayne carey and gary ablett senior dont make that much of a difference.

and its not like hawthorn havent recruited ready made players themselves. One a brownlow medalist and a number of former top 2 draft picks.

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
You think danger was the difference between being a top four side and a bottom four side?

even wayne carey and gary ablett senior dont make that much of a difference.

and its not like hawthorn havent recruited ready made players themselves. One a brownlow medalist and a number of former top 2 draft picks.
I think that if it weren't for Danger, then we wouldn't have gone in on Tuohy, Hendo, Dal, Rohan, Stanley, GAJ etc.

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
They have 3 first rounders this year. Duncan and guthrie have more time. They will be around the mark if they can attract feee agents
The big unknown with this is Jeremy Cameron. If he does come to Geelong - and I'd suggest right now it's a 50/50 - then that hopefully solves our looming tall forward question.

FairKouta

Premiership Player
Aug 3, 2016
MELBOURNE
AFL Club
Carlton
The big unknown with this is Jeremy Cameron. If he does come to Geelong - and I'd suggest right now it's a 50/50 - then that hopefully solves our looming tall forward question.
Don’t think he leaves gws think Geelong will need to invest in the draft. gws would let go of kelly before they let go of Cameron.

Back