Ch 7 Commentary - is it intervention time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Question to those who kept a keen ear on Bruce's commentary in the 1990's and in the early 2000's - did he partake in as many 'jokes' and off-topic banter and act in such a self indulgent way back then? I'm not talking about the rhetorical questions or the one liners, just in general attitude to the commentary.

He has been the way he is now ever since channel 7 regained the rights in 2007, but I don't quite remember how he was in the 90's or in 2000/2001. What do you guys think?

What I hate about Bruce most of all is his mastabatory hero worshipping of star players. It's a team sport champ! Watching Danger and co run us down on Friday night was frightening, and certainly in raw football terms it was a beautiful performance, but the constant gushing over Danger at the expense of discussion of tactics, matchups and focuses on lesser lights us mind-numbing. This isn't horse racing or Olympics.

Not trying to diminish the outstanding team performance of Geelong or the individual brilliance of Danger - both were unfortunately horrifying and glorious - but goddam Bruce's gushing makes it hard to listen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This has been bugging me for yonks. Glad news.com.au has brought attention to it. I'm amazed there were only 55 rhetorical questions. I've counted over 70 on occasions.

It feels like more than 55. Doesn’t it? You just feel like it’s more than that. Don’t you? Hodgey you’ve been in the commentary box with me. How many does it feel like to you ?

Pissa. :D

4d3317791b34b6058369e360f00b0d0e

3c422c506bce89ac2ef21a56b0c394a7

Dennis Cometti was 67 when he called his last AFL game on TV and I think he could have gone on for a few more years and still called the footy to a good standard. Bruce is 67, and if he doesn't alter his approach, his retirement could be met with 'good riddance' instead of 'why retire now?'.

Listening to the Fox team is such a relief compared to Ch7. I know Dwayne, Eddie and Dermot have their critics, but during play, they speak solely about the game, players and tactics. Much easier to listen to.

I absolutely agree. I know there’s a lot of hate towards Dwayne, but for me he’s so far from the worst.

Dennis Cometti was 67 when he called his last AFL game on TV and I think he could have gone on for a few more years and still called the footy to a good standard. Bruce is 67, and if he doesn't alter his approach, his retirement could be met with 'good riddance' instead of 'why retire now?'.

I feel for Bruce.. at his best, he’s a great caller but when you put he and BT together, something genuinely awful happens.

Bruce is plain and simply ******* intolerable these days. Isn’t he ?

I legit don’t even know what he’s crapping on about today.
Bruce was one of my favourite commentators in the 90s. Unfortunately his problems started when 7 got the TV rights back in 2006 and he’s got progressively worse since then. As someone else said, he’s become a sad parody of himself.

I think at least some of the blame, perhaps most, sits with the obvious instruction from 7 management to have the commentary team employ a ‘lads down the pub having a bit of jokey banter’ style (for some bizarre reason they obviously think that’s what the fans want to listen to). He’s just terrible with that style and it’s ruined him now.

I feel for Bruce.. at his best, he’s a great caller but when you put he and BT together, something genuinely awful happens.
The strange thing is that before Dennis retired in 2016, Bruce and BT would only work together about 3 or 4 times in as many years, they would both called Anzac day and actually did a really good job, there was none of the cringe worthy, ego driven dialogs and unfunny banter they share now.

This is the problem with small time Australian media, too scared to criticise each other so we are left with a large news site having to do a story from some random reddit user which is actually spot on and agrees with the views of most fans but the media themselves are too scared to put a name to it. Pot shot a player though and they're happy to.

Question to those who kept a keen ear on Bruce's commentary in the 1990's and in the early 2000's - did he partake in as many 'jokes' and off-topic banter and act in such a self indulgent way back then? I'm not talking about the rhetorical questions or the one liners, just in general attitude to the commentary.
No.

Bruce used to be one of the best. He prided himself on the research he did before calling anything and tended to let the play tell the story. He still had his idiosyncrasies that some may not have liked but you couldn’t question his professionalism.

What we have today is a husk. He and BT are more interested in creating a sound byte and spinning a narrative than actually letting the game unfold.

It's like when Shane Warne retired and he asked Ian Chappell just before making his decision about it.
Chappell said "Better off people asking why you retired than asking why you didn't retire."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back