Toast Welcome Blake "Sherrif" Acres

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably better than anything Bewley has put out also

By a fair margin. Bewley has only had 20 touches once.

This board went a bit early on Acres. Expectation was too high. Yeah, had a bad day against Geelong, but was clearly underdone, hence the time away improving his fitness.

It’s nice having a winger who naturally knows where to run & find the ball.
That’s my main knock on Bewley. Runs far too much for not enough ball

This board went a bit early on Acres.

I strongly disagree. That was exactly the type of thing he would do at St Kilda. Occasional good game that makes people thin he is actually good and then disappear for weeks on end.

He does not take us any closer to a flag in my humble opinion. Happy to be proven wrong but 1 half decent game does nothing to change the way he absolutely squibbed it previously.

I think we’ve had makeshift wingman this year. Colyer, Bewley, Aish, Acres, Cerra...

that was the best game we’ve had off a wing. Not sure it’s a permanent fixture though. If he can maintain form, then I’d give him the wing spot permanently.

I think we’ve had makeshift wingman this year. Colyer, Bewley, Aish, Acres, Cerra...

that was the best game we’ve had off a wing. Not sure it’s a permanent fixture though. If he can maintain form, then I’d give him the wing spot permanently.

Acres isn't really a make-shift wingman though, it really is his natural role. Not to say he is brilliant at it or will be brilliant on-going but its certainly where he should play.

I strongly disagree. That was exactly the type of thing he would do at St Kilda. Occasional good game that makes people thin he is actually good and then disappear for weeks on end.

He does not take us any closer to a flag in my humble opinion. Happy to be proven wrong but 1 half decent game does nothing to change the way he absolutely squibbed it previously.
The hope is that coaching, and specifically a lack of clarity about his role and position in the team, contributed to that at Saints. At the very least he is a useful player on our list.

I’m hoping that continuity in a position will improve Acres consistency as he wasn’t really able to settle in one position at the Saints. I mean after that Geelong game, can you believe that they used him as a back up ruckman or inside mid?

That Geelong game seems to be a real outlier as I had not heard of him being like that previously, no excuse, but hopefully that is a one off on a very poor night. The good thing is the coach didn’t accept it & made him pay for it & I presume learn from it.

We (Freo BF) over-reacted to his Geelong performance. We need to now not over-react the other way after his Richmond performance.

Give him a few games to show what he's got. If he can string together a few above average performances after last night's (arguably BOG one) then we'll have got ourselves an absolute bargain winger. Consistency has always been his issue - his top end is excellent.

He was playing main side wing, with Aish on the fat side. Not surprisingly, there are plenty criticising Aish for his last couple of games. Fat side wing is a graveyard in our current game plan.
Aish is the one you want with space on the fat side for delivery though. Sucks for him as you say.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By a fair margin. Bewley has only had 20 touches once.

This board went a bit early on Acres. Expectation was too high. Yeah, had a bad day against Geelong, but was clearly underdone, hence the time away improving his fitness.

It’s nice having a winger who naturally knows where to run & find the ball.
That’s my main knock on Bewley. Runs far too much for not enough ball
I don't think expectation was high. St Kilda needed a bit of leadership and were happy to turf him, their supporters didn't care, and every one you did ask had a completely different opinion on him. a few of my friends follow St Kilda and they all saw him as a completely different player... you're in trouble with those sorts.

he's just not very good, I don't get the point in bringing in players other clubs are happy to trash. they're okay at best for 2-3 seasons. just don't get it.

Bewley gets amongst it, he's got some drive and knows what to do with the ball. makes a few dumb mistakes though but I think he can be a good player. the only thing is he's that awkward sort of height – we seem to have a lot of players who play an nondescript forward line role (Switkowski who I really like, Crowden and Schultz who I don't, Matera who's a bit of a headache, Bailey Banfield).

I don't think expectation was high. St Kilda needed a bit of leadership and were happy to turf him, their supporters didn't care, and every one you did ask had a completely different opinion on him. a few of my friends follow St Kilda and they all saw him as a completely different player... you're in trouble with those sorts.

he's just not very good, I don't get the point in bringing in players other clubs are happy to trash. they're okay at best for 2-3 seasons. just don't get it.

Bewley gets amongst it, he's got some drive and knows what to do with the ball. makes a few dumb mistakes though but I think he can be a good player. the only thing is he's that awkward sort of height – we seem to have a lot of players who play an nondescript forward line role (Switkowski who I really like, Crowden and Schultz who I don't, Matera who's a bit of a headache, Bailey Banfield).
Meh Bewley is a vanilla B grader at best. At least Acres has a performance like last night in him.
I also think bringing a player like him in is partly due to the age demographic of the list and if we only get 2 - 3 seasons as you suggest then that's fine, it gives the younger guys time to mature.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back