News Port Adelaide's Next Generation Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Have read this morning that the AFL is likely to change the rules on academy players such that if they get drafted in the first round by another club, the academy club doesn't get the right to match the bid.

If so, this means we are near certainties to miss out on Lachie Jones despite us manoeuvring through the draft last year to stockpile late picks to match the bid. Typical VFL bullshit.

Already posted in general AFL thread - it starts in 2021 not this year.

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
Already posted in general AFL thread - it starts in 2021 not this year.

Good news, I stand corrected.

My info came from the SEN radio website where they said they wanted to make the changes to this upcoming draft.

Defeats the purpose of having NGAs for top prospects considering the clubs will likely not get the player anyway if they go 1st round.

Duckimus Prime

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If this comes into effect, surely clubs will reduce their investment in Next Gen Academies? If you've put significant time and investment in, only to not get first access to highly rated players from your academy, why would you continue to devote significant funds to it?
The whole point was that the AFL will take over running the Next Gen Academies instead of the clubs. If the clubs are still involved we're just more likely to see them trying to hide kids they've discovered.

Jason K

Premium Platinum
Mar 1, 2014
Henley Beach
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If this comes into effect, surely clubs will reduce their investment in Next Gen Academies? If you've put significant time and investment in, only to not get first access to highly rated players from your academy, why would you continue to devote significant funds to it?

Some clubs. Port had NGA before we could access talent.

Lachie Jones will be a protected hit but no more after 2020 draft. 1st and maybe 2nd round can't have an NGA player protected by player's club matching the bid. Free hits will come after that.

THE AFL is set to phase out clubs' access to leading Next Generation Academy draft prospects after changes to the program. The League last week announced that it would take control of the Next Generation Academies with the assistance of the clubs as part of a range of modifications to the talent pathway.

Since 2016, the NGAs have been club-run (with an annual financial contribution from the AFL) with the incentive to develop multicultural and Indigenous talents and then get first access to them in the draft.

But in what will be a significant shift to the NGA rules, clubs expect that at least the first round, and possibly the second, would be made 'protected' from NGA bids.

This means there would be no ability to match bids on NGA players within that protected part of the draft, making for a less compromised pool given the clubs will not have invested as much resources and development in the players.

However, after the protected part of the draft has ended, it is expected that clubs will be able to list their NGA talents with later picks as normal with the AFL keen to continue its drive for more diversity within its playing ranks.

The changes will not come into effect before the 2020 NAB AFL Draft.

But for example under that model the Western Bulldogs would not get priority access on Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, who is tipped as the possible No.1 pick this year but is linked to the Dogs under the NGA rules.

It also means top-end graduates of the program such as Collingwood's Isaac Quaynor, North Melbourne's Tarryn Thomas and Fremantle's Liam Henry in previous years would have been available to all clubs
given they were first-round selections.

But the likes of Collingwood's Atu Bosenavulagi and Melbourne's Toby Bedford, who were taken late in the 2018 draft, would still be free to automatically join their NGA clubs.

Clubs have been notified of impending changes to the Next Generation Academy system but a timeline on when – and how – the phasing out of access to the top prospects will begin has yet to be detailed.

Some have proposed that players who have already signed up to their NGA programs who are aged 15 and over should be tied to the club under the current bidding rules, which is the same as father-son and northern Academy players. They have suggested that players were lured to the AFL code from other sports as teenagers because of the Next Generation Academies and that they should be able to have access for them if they are deemed good enough to be selected in the 'protected' part of the draft.

The AFL still wants clubs to have a role in the implementation of the NGA programs, knowing that the attachment of a club brand is important for juniors coming through.

This year looms as the biggest in NGA history, with Ugle-Hagan, Lachie Jones (Port Adelaide), Reef McInnes (Collingwood), Connor Downie (Hawthorn), Cody Brand (Essendon) and Joel Western (Fremantle) all possible top-25 picks as NGA products.

Port probably invest most of their resources into their Aboriginal Academy and we get virtually no player acquisition benefit from it.

From what I can see, the NGAs have been mostly an exercise in opportunism from the clubs. I haven't heard too many stories of clubs plucking talented teenagers from other sports and turning them into AFL footballers by way of an NGA opportunity. Maybe they haven't been in place long enough, I don't know. I'm generally opposed to all forms of zoning though as it undermines equalisation and will almost always disadvantage Port as we are based in the smallest state.

If this change means GWS and others can no longer finish top 4 for 5 years in a row, and every year or 2nd year give up 3 picks in the high 30's and low 40's to match a bid for a top 5 or top 10 pick, plus keep their first round pick, or use that first round pick to get a good player, then I'm all for it.

I've said before the GWS in particular can rort the NGA system because their academy includes the very strong Riverina zone.

Smithy7

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 1, 2014
South of Scotland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
SANFL Eagles v North Adelaide Ch 7
2:30PM - 5:30PM ... Sunday September 6
In a possible finals preview, two of this season's flag contenders square off in a blockbuster clash that is sure to be a last-man-standing battle at Maughan Thiem Kia Oval. Bounce time: 2.40pm ACST.
For interstate members watch it on 7plus live

Lachie Jones playing.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you get an article on the club's website, you know they are keen.

ONE of Port Adelaide’s Next Generation Academy players has received glowing praise as a ready-made AFL player who likes to work hard and plays team-first football.

Lachie Jones, 18, who has been playing league football with Woodville-West Torrens this year, received high praise from his captain Luke Thompson during a radio interview on Thursday morning.

At 184cm and 85kgs, Jones has a strong body for a teenager.

He hails from Bute on the Yorke Peninsula and is part of Port Adelaide’s NGA owing to his Indigenous heritage and regional upbringing. Thompson said he expected Jones to be taken early in the draft, and likely by the Power. “He’s just that ready-made player that can jump straight into AFL footy because we know it’s a massive jump,” the Eagles skipper explained on Adelaide radio.

“He’s a mature body, he reminds me a lot of a (West Coast defender) Shannon Hurn the way he plays.

“He’s got that really good closing speed, take off speed, he’s a very good one-on-one competitor and he’s just got that body that’s ready to play. “He’s a great kid as well – a country boy – he’s got a good head on his shoulders, he just wants to work hard and he’s a very good team man as well.”

Jones made his SANFL debut in Round 1 and last month was named the Round 7 Powerade Breakthrough Player for the SANFL after an impressive showing against West Adelaide.

Thompson said he had no doubt Jones would have a career at AFL level. He said he was a unique character and a valuable team member at the Eagles. “You don’t often see blokes like that come through,” Thompson said. “I can’t remember the last time I saw someone like that coming through like him, as a ready-made player.

“He’s just such a relaxed character. He’s very quiet off the field, he pops up and says his two cents worth but he’s just such a relaxed character that is just a country boy, come into the city and loves playing football but just goes about his business. “He’s very workmanlike and I think at the Eagles we like to think of ourselves as a bit more blue collar than white collar and he’s just the ultimate blue collar player who gets the job done and has a laugh while he does it.”

Port Adelaide will have first access to Jones at the 2020 draft, along with father-son prospect Taj Schofield (son of 2004 Premiership player and current midfield coach Jarrad Schofield).

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza

ONE of Port Adelaide’s Next Generation Academy players has received glowing praise as a ready-made AFL player who likes to work hard and plays team-first football.

Lachie Jones, 18, who has been playing league football with Woodville-West Torrens this year, received high praise from his captain Luke Thompson during a radio interview on Thursday morning.

He hails from Bute on the Yorke Peninsula and is part of Port Adelaide’s NGA owing to his Indigenous heritage and regional upbringing. Thompson said he expected Jones to be taken early in the draft, and likely by the Power. “He’s just that ready-made player that can jump straight into AFL footy because we know it’s a massive jump,” the Eagles skipper explained on Adelaide radio.

“He’s a mature body, he reminds me a lot of a (West Coast defender) Shannon Hurn the way he plays.

“He’s got that really good closing speed, take off speed, he’s a very good one-on-one competitor and he’s just got that body that’s ready to play. “He’s a great kid as well – a country boy – he’s got a good head on his shoulders, he just wants to work hard and he’s a very good team man as well.”

Jones made his SANFL debut in Round 1 and last month was named the Round 7 Powerade Breakthrough Player for the SANFL after an impressive showing against West Adelaide.

Thompson said he had no doubt Jones would have a career at AFL level. He said he was a unique character and a valuable team member at the Eagles. “You don’t often see blokes like that come through,” Thompson said. “I can’t remember the last time I saw someone like that coming through like him, as a ready-made player.

“He’s just such a relaxed character. He’s very quiet off the field, he pops up and says his two cents worth but he’s just such a relaxed character that is just a country boy, come into the city and loves playing football but just goes about his business. “He’s very workmanlike and I think at the Eagles we like to think of ourselves as a bit more blue collar than white collar and he’s just the ultimate blue collar player who gets the job done and has a laugh while he does it.”

Port Adelaide will have first access to Jones at the 2020 draft, along with father-son prospect Taj Schofield (son of 2004 Premiership player and current midfield coach Jarrad Schofield).

Aha - I was wondering wtf is Luke Thompson from that post further up.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Hope we have enough draft currency to match the Crows pick 1 bid 🤣

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hurn is a misleading comparison. It’s just solid built defender from Sa = Hurn
Gould was also called Hurn.

the same way every indigenous small forward will get called rankine and every electric kid will get called rozee if they’re from Sa.

Hurn was the best kick I’ve ever seen from a junior, hell maybe the best kick I’ve ever seen from anyone live. Taller and was more of an intercepter at the same age from memory. Jones kick is more Hartlett than Hurn (which is still exciting).

none of this means we shouldn’t be excited by jones, there’s lots to like and there’s a spot for him in our 22 as well.

Hurn is a misleading comparison. It’s just solid built defender from Sa = Hurn
Gould was also called Hurn.

the same way every indigenous small forward will get called rankine and every electric kid will get called rozee if they’re from Sa.

Hurn was the best kick I’ve ever seen from a junior, hell maybe the best kick I’ve ever seen from anyone live. Taller and was more of an intercepter at the same age from memory. Jones kick is more Hartlett than Hurn (which is still exciting).

none of this means we shouldn’t be excited by jones, there’s lots to like and there’s a spot for him in our 22 as well.
The Hurn comparison for me is - both are built like a brick shithouse (Hurn was a big lad who has got bigger in the AFL), both about 185cm and both asked to regularly play on taller forward opponents and both were teenagers who could handle playing against men in the SANFL.

As you say, Jones' kicking is nothing close to the elite category like Hurn's.

It's so nice that this program designed to help develop multicultural young men who might otherwise be lost to football is going to allow us to pick up *checks notes* Lachlan Jones. What part of Africa is that name from?

Clearly you've overlooked Mansour el Borlase.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back