Who are the top 10 midfielders in the league?

Melbourne supporters think they've got 2 of the top 10 midfielders in the comp (and the best ruckman?).

If that's true, what's wrong with the rest of your club?

Where do you want me to start?

Petracca, Oliver, Gawn & May are all top liners in their respective positions imo. And tbf opposition supporters say the same thing, so I dont think its bias in that thinking. Do you disagree?

But then we fall away drastically. Players like Neal-Bullen, Spargo, Wagner, Mitch Brown, Oscar McDonald & Joel McDonald wouldn't get a spot on West Coasts list let alone all play in the same team in an AFL match

The list is too dependant on contested ball winners with very few if any classy ball users. We just don't have a balanced squad like the top teams unfortunately

Our best outside player is Langdon who can't kick for s**t. We don't have a top line forward, the one we invested everything into (Mcdonald) looks like a 50 year old man and can't get a game.

Then we have coaching staff that cant make adjustments during a game and have no plan b.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The Umpires MVP "The Last Five" 2015 to 2019 Inc (Brownlow Votes) Top 10:

Patrick Dangerfield: 134 Votes
Dustin Martin: 124 Votes
Nat Fyfe: 99 Votes
Marcus Bontempelli: 83 Votes
Lachie Neale: 81 Votes
Luke Parker: 77 Votes
Tom Mitchell: 77 Votes
Josh Kennedy (Syd): 77 Votes
Scott Pendlebury: 76 Votes
Andrew Gaff: 76 Votes

Alright i know it's ignoring providing a list coming up with all this random information, but midfield is a collective a well oiled machine
the sum of all parts and it's also so varied in a positional sense. I did 30 odd players from the last five years the top ones just happen
to be midfielders which should come as no surprise to anyone.

Patrick Cripps: 75 Votes was Rank 11 just for the Carlton fans then we dip down into the sixties.

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Pendleton’s is a good footballer and will no doubt go into HOF but can’t think of a time he would ever have been considered in the top 5 players in the comp.. Dusty & Danger would both have been top 5 for the past 4 years

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Pendleton’s is a good footballer and will no doubt go into HOF but can’t think of a time he would ever have been considered in the top 5 players in the comp.. Dusty & Danger would both have been top 5 for the past 4 years
Nah he was pretty consistently in that 3rd/4th/5th spot for quite a while. But he was never the best player. Long career in the top echelon is pretty special

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Danger was in the top 5 in the years around his Brownlow year, but no longer.

His game last week was a classic example as to why I'd rate him outside the top 5.

Check out his first half - 3 attempts at scoring for 0.0. Coaching young kids the first thing you teach them is to eradicate the dinky 10 to 15 metre kicks toward your goal from out of a pack. You look for a player in a better position and then shepherd to allow them to use the ball effectively. It may not get you noticed by the umpire, but it is a much better result for the team. The second thing you team them is not to have a shot at goal when you're 5 metres further out than you can actually kick the thing. I refer to his set shot from 60 metres that landed 5 metres short between the goal and behind post.

His second half was immense. The boys on the couch highlighted three plays in particular that were 'team first':
1. His desperate dive for the ball on Geelong's half back line after a centre bounce;
2. His pass to Rohan in the last quarter after taking a mark 45 metres from goal;
3. His defensive punch from a Doggies kick in with 90 seconds to go.

We see far too much of the first half Danger, and nowhere near enough of the second half Danger.

He's not even the best player in his own team, that title goes to Hawkins at the moment. And three Geelong players were nominated ahead of him for last years AFLPA MVP.

Take a very good look the next time you're watching him.

Last edited:

NonPhixion

Bookie Assassin
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tony Ferguson
Pendlebury’s season has been underrated because he missed some games. Fact is he hasn’t had a single bad game. Averaging 25 disposals & as effective as he’s ever been.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Tough to get a clear list of top 10 this season, given that a number of the best midfielders have been down a bit this year. Cripps in particular is producing way under his normal output.

Meanwhile, guys who were nowhere near the top 10 last year are suddenly among the top performers - Steele, Petracca, Guthrie.

According to AFLCA votes, the current top 10 would be:

75 - Lachie Neale
62 - Christian Petracca
59 - Travis Boak
58 - Taylor Adams
58 - Jack Steele
51 - Zach Merrett
48 - Cameron Guthrie
40 - Marcus Bontempelli
40 - Jackson Macrae
37 - Zak Jones + Dustin Martin + Andrew McGrath (all equal 10th)

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Playing injured? Haven't watched Carlton enough so I genuinely wouldn't know.

looks t to me like a bloke playing with OP but the club have said he is fit.. I am sure a bit of that is the club and Paddy not wanting to put up excuses, but will be interesting if he continues to play now we can’t make finals.

Jun 26, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
looks t to me like a bloke playing with OP but the club have said he is fit.. I am sure a bit of that is the club and Paddy not wanting to put up excuses, but will be interesting if he continues to play now we can’t make finals.
If he has OP that'd be horrible - we've seen what's happened to Daniher and Judd was never the same after his. It's definitely not worth playing the bloke if it has the possibility to ruin him, I'm sure it isn't because I'd hope the medical team would be smarter than that.

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
Playing injured? Haven't watched Carlton enough so I genuinely wouldn't know.

The club will never come out and say he is injured now, reckon we might hear something at the end of the season if that is the reason he has been so poor this year.

If that isn't the reason, then we have some serious problems going on.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The Consistent "Big Dogs" Of The Midfield (Best Five Years Total Brownlow Votes) modern era:

Patrick Dangerfield: 140 Votes
Gary Ablett Junior: 131 Votes
Dane Swan: 129 Votes
Chris Judd: 126 Votes
Dustin Martin: 124 Votes
Nat Fyfe: 123 Votes
Robert Harvey: 109 Votes
Adam Goodes: 108 Votes
Simon Black: 107 Votes
Scott West: 105 Votes

Apologies i know this has nothing to do with the thread, but you cannot help at marvel at the consistent level of out put over the
players best five vote getting years. Amazing to think some of the still active ones could still light it up for a bit longer.

Nov 24, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong

His game last week was a classic example as to why I'd rate him outside the top 5.

Check out his first half - 3 attempts at scoring for 0.0. Coaching young kids the first thing you teach them is to eradicate the dinky 10 to 15 metre kicks toward your goal from out of a pack. You look for a player in a better position and then shepherd to allow them to use the ball effectively. It may not get you noticed by the umpire, but it is a much better result for the team. The second thing you team them is not to have a shot at goal when you're 5 metres further out than you can actually kick the thing. I refer to his set shot from 60 metres that landed 5 metres short between the goal and behind post.

His second half was immense. The boys on the couch highlighted three plays in particular that were 'team first':
1. His desperate dive for the ball on Geelong's half back line after a centre bounce;
2. His pass to Rohan in the last quarter after taking a mark 45 metres from goal;

We see far too much of the first half Danger, and nowhere near enough of the second half Danger.

He's not even the best player in his own team, that title goes to Hawkins at the moment. And three Geelong players were nominated ahead of him for last years AFLPA MVP.

WTF? Dangerfield was clearly BOG against the Bulldogs. See the 10 coaches votes as proof.

Also, didn't they say he wasn't nominated for the AFLPA award because he's the AFLPA president?

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
WTF? Dangerfield was clearly BOG against the Bulldogs. See the 10 coaches votes as proof.
Yep, was absolutely one of his better games but a poor first half from a tean perspective.
Also, didn't they say he wasn't nominated for the AFLPA award because he's the AFLPA president?
Have never heard that. Wasn't surprised there were three ahead of him - Kelly, Blicavs and Hawkins.

Hot Diggity

All Australian
Jun 19, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn

On the money.

For me, he has never, ever, dragged his team over the line in the biggest games, and there's a fragility with him when the pressure is at absolute maximum.

He's just a fraction short of the real greats for mine.

Back