Thailand: Whats the facination?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Red Sox
Over the last few years it seems like everyone is going to Thailand. Is it because it's cheap?

Personally I have no desire to go there. It's probably wrong of me to judge a place I've never been to, but I imagine a dirty smelly place with malnourished animals running around.

Am I wrong?

It's all about $2 whores.

Me: Lumpini night market please
Taxi driver: yes

<taxi driver takes off>

TD: You want girl?
Me: No
TD: Ahhhh! you want ladyboy?
Me: No
TD: Market no open yet
Me: Why the **** did you just tell me now? Pull over.
TD: I take you to girl then to night market
Me: What time does it open?
TD: 11pm. I take you to girl then night market
Me: pull over
TD: Ok ok ok, it open now. I take you to night market

<we drive on>

Taxi driver hands me brochure that reads:

Cupidy Massage - Another place with good comfort and relaxation on Makkasan estate with excellent atmosphere and luxurious building of the height of 18 floor. Yo will touch with a good service and selected beautiful lady of good courtesy to take care of you. The V.I.P. rooms have sauna, jaguccie or if you wish to rest with the drink and listen to the good music from beautiful singer lady within te coffeeshop as the hotle. If you like playing snooker with good standard of snooker table in the snooker club, where has capacious car parking with a good convenience.

TD: Girl give good suck and arse lick and good f*** f***. I take you to see girl first.
Me: Take me to the night market.

We arrive. Are we at the night market? Nope. Are we at Cupidy Massage in the "capacious" car park? You bet.

Me: Listen mate, you have 2 choices. I get out now and catch another cab and you get nothing, or you drive me to the night market right now for 30bht.

Every taxi ride after that:

You want girl?
Need to go to <insert destination> because I'm meeting someone.
You want girl after that?
No, it's okay, I've already arranged to f*** your sister.

Cheap clothes, ladies and booze. Yes there are lots of homeless people and animals which aren't fed :( but still great place :thumbsu:

Awesome party place.

Full moon party is one of the biggest in the world, incredibly cheap booze and you get to meet travellers from around the world.

Oooohhh, Kho-phan-yang...

Actually never been there, Thailand's next on my itinerary though.

Note for all you guys not wanting to go to Thailand:

Don't ever dare going to a third-world/lesser standards country than ours then. That will exclude for you; South America (apart from Chile, most parts of Argentina and some parts of Brazil), Africa, pretty much as a whole, most of Asia, certain parts of the Eastern block of Europe, Carribean, list goes on. Unless you plan to stay in a hotel that's at least 4 stars (very expensive when travelling more than 2 weeks) don't bother leaving Australia :rolleyes:

Cheap clothes, ladies and booze. Yes there are lots of homeless people and animals which aren't fed :( but still great place :thumbsu:

Sounds just like South America then, the amount of dogs there is ludicrous. Also the native, homeless people aren't much behind in terms of numbers. Don't really act homeless when they're talking to locals, just when a Gringo goes past. :rolleyes:

I have NO desire to travel pretty much anywhere in Asia. I don't like dust, dirt, crowds, sus hygiene etc etc.

Guess that's why I haven't left Australia yet. Am aiming to get to New Zealand and Europe in the next few years though.
Yeah you might catch something.

Like a personality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have NO desire to travel pretty much anywhere in Asia. I don't like dust, dirt, crowds, sus hygiene etc etc.

Guess that's why I haven't left Australia yet. Am aiming to get to New Zealand and Europe in the next few years though.

Meh - my first trip was Europe and America, but Thailand is so damn cheap i am going there in a couple of months, My parents have been all around asia and loved it but something just doesn;t appeal to me, buyt hopefully this will change.

Yeah you might catch something.

Like a personality.

:eek:

Since Asia is a big continent there is much variation. E.g. living standards in Singapore is different to North Korea.

Even within Australia there is much variation. If you want to see something different you can go out of Melbourne and into the outback. Some of the bogans out there have very different culture and because you don't have to take a plane it can be cheaper to get there assuming petrol prices aren't too high and you drive a good car.

im guessing very similar to bali

who can go past cheap food (awesome food), cheap beer (awesome beer), decent shopping, hotels, beach

sure its a 3rd world country, but the people are the best in the world

im guessing very similar to bali

who can go past cheap food (awesome food), cheap beer (awesome beer), decent shopping, hotels, beach

sure its a 3rd world country, but the people are the best in the world

Heaps better than Bali IMO. For starters the people are a lot more polite and friendlier and don't chase you down the street trying to sell you stuff. What amazes me about the Thais is they work their butts off for peanuts but still manage to smile and have a positive outlook on life. There's heaps of places there I would like to see away from the usual beaches (ABSOEFFINGLUTELY GREAT), markets, Bangkok traffic, very cheap and clean etc etc. Great Place IMO. I Can't wait to go back this Xmas hols again - 3rd time for me.

Oooohhh, Kho-phan-yang...

Note for all you guys not wanting to go to Thailand:

Don't ever dare going to a third-world/lesser standards country than ours then. That will exclude for you; South America (apart from Chile, most parts of Argentina and some parts of Brazil), Africa, pretty much as a whole, most of Asia, certain parts of the Eastern block of Europe, Carribean, list goes on. Unless you plan to stay in a hotel that's at least 4 stars (very expensive when travelling more than 2 weeks) don't bother leaving Australia :rolleyes:

When I go on holiday, the last thing I want to do is go to a third world country. I wanna go to a place that can offer great "attractions" without letting my standards go.

There's plenty of countries out there that meet my standards.

Thailand is awesome and i wanna go back soon! The food is top notch and cheap! I remember spending hours in one resturant and had everything from seafood to rice dishes with 6 or 7 beers and it cost me 20 bucks! The people are very friendly, there is heaps to see and do, awesome night life. The beaches are stunning. I was sitting on a chair on the beach and you could order food and drinks and they would deliver them to your seat, you didnt have to move! I still wanna see europe etc but you cant really fault thailand.

What!

Those are all the best places
Cheap piss / accomodation / food

Young people from all over the world after the same thing.

Pft why hold back

No I'm not 18.

This isn't about age, its about preference.

I'm an experienced traveller and am coming up to my 8th overseas trip in a few weeks. I'm just fussy about where I like to travel. I don't look for a cheap place, I look for a nice place.

No I'm not 18.

This isn't about age, its about preference.

I'm an experienced traveller and am coming up to my 8th overseas trip in a few weeks. I'm just fussy about where I like to travel. I don't look for a cheap place, I look for a nice place.

World heritage sites dont interest you? I'm guessing Egypt would be off limits too.

No doubt that the pyramids would be interesting to see. But other than that Egypt wouldn't interest me, so it wouldn't be enough to get me there.

I love places like New York. Relatively safe, easy to get around and plenty to see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back