Review Round 15, 2020 - Brisbane Lions vs. Collingwood

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Billy Lokan

Rookie
Jun 13, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Don't care what the media think. Don't care whether Buckley rates us or not. Definitely don't care what the scum supporters think. However, I do care to know whether or not you think Starc looks like Serafini? I could swear it's like watching Sera out there and God he was a great full back.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
I mentioned in the game day thread at 3/4 time that I thought we had spent a lot of petrol tickets and that we needed to hang tough in the last quarter. I don't know what it looked like on TV but at the ground,we looked pretty cooked at the last break.

And hang tough we did.

The backline was sensational especially with our tallest and best defender down and with Froggy having to stand the Yank. Well done to him too because a few times the mismatch looked like it could be our undoing.

Really good win and anyone who's critical of that last quarter just doesn't get how manfully we resisted with not one but two talls down.

I would like to see us romp away with comfortable 4+ goal wins every week as much as anyone but what's more important is that this team just wills itself not to capitulate and get over the line week after week, often in the face of what I call "momentum" umpiring.

Do we have a problem with our last quarters?

Not as long as we are still in front when the final siren sounds we don't.

Bloody good effort tonight and a guts win.

Proud of the team.

GO LIONS!!!

Last edited:

Paul Mac

All Australian
Jun 5, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Don't care what the media think. Don't care whether Buckley rates us or not. Definitely don't care what the scum supporters think. However, I do care to know whether or not you think Starc looks like Serafini? I could swear it's like watching Sera out there and God he was a great full back.
You probably would not know this person but Starc looks like Franky Bizzotto from the old Fitzroy days IMO

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I love these boys to bits! They give me heart attack moments but then they win in the most amazing fashion.

....and was so damned rapt to see them go in for major biffo in defence of Robbo. (fines coming I feel) Still laugh at seeing JarrodB running in to defend Hughie. Geez he meant business too!

Yeah just love 'em❤:brisbane:

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not exactly a confidence inspiring win but you take those every day of the week. We have lost plenty of them over recent history and it is good to be good enough to win against top 8 teams even when you play poorly.

With that said there were some real positives to come out of the win.

Coleman - I was massively on the bandwagon since early last year and it was no surprise that he showed real promise. His skills by hand and foot were excellent and he is the kind of distributor we want kicking it into 50. He showed good composure under pressure and worked through traffic really nicely. There were a couple of occasions when the speed of play caught him out but it won't take him time to adapt. He worked hard, showed some nice pace and made some good tackles. Great debut. Ah Chee was very ordinary for the first three quarters and has to be under pressure to hold his spot.

Berry - as has been obvious for a long time he is very good when he gets plenty of time on ball. He was there all day and was BOG. He is big bodied and big of heart and he won us the game.

Andrews - was dominant before the injury. I actually don't mind him taking a couple of weeks off. It should freshen him up for the finals and also allow us to fix our back structure for the finals. We have been playing too short and getting three games into Payne could allow Fagan to get confidence in him and cement a spot beside Andrews for the finals. Personally I would bring in both Eagles and Payne and give us much needed height and allow Gardner to move to third tall. With that said they could bring in Skinner given he has been a defender for virtually his whole senior career.

Big O - personally I thought Grundy had the win but it was a close run thing and that is a huge positive for us. Being able to split the points in the ruck addresses a problem for us even when Martin was playing. Developing week on week.

Starcevich - I have thought he has been serviceable this year but today he was much better than that. I thought today was easily his best game for us and played a crucial role for us especially when Harris went down.

Neale and Lyons - were both good without being exceptional imo. Got a fair bit of important ball but did not do too much damage with it.

McCluggage - had a fair few important possessions and was a pretty big physical pressence today which was a bit different from what you usually associate with him.

Rayner - did not dominate but had some really good passages and imposed himself physically on the contest on a few occasions. He has showed some nice upward trajectory this year and he might well still turn into the player we all hoped he would be. Petracca took a fair while to get there and Rayner seems to be following that path. Both are similar types of players.
I really enjoy your posts Quigley but you give Ah Chee a serve every week. I reckon he's been really solid all year , has genuine talent and will really improve . Don't see his spot being under any pressure at all.

The rest of it I agree with . Love what Coleman can bring , just that extra bit of bite around the packs. He'll take a lot of confidence out of tonight's game.

What's all this stuff about Buckley not rating us?
Said in the presser he reckons we won because they gave the goals to us through their sloppiness. Never mind our pressure that put them in that position, but you know.

2 flags, Bucks. 2 flags.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
win ugly with players down you take it any day.
On top of that your best and only tall defender out and them playing 3 players over 200cm in is a big plus
We played the last defending the lead. Would of like to at least try to score more.

A lot of players had good moments.
Big O had a fantastic game
Berry and Lyons huge.
Neale and Clugga class.
Hipwood made more contests to just make a contest which was great
McStay down back help us through the last
Coleman great debut
Rayner and Ah Chee stood up.

I say Linc and Payne in next week.. Go with one ruck and pinch hitting
Suns normally have Witts do 90%
unless we move McStay back and go for Archie or Skinner or Ballenden in forward.
I think Payne needs a game.. We been getting away playing short in the back line all year.
Need to get games into him not just throw him at the Tigers, Cats or Eagles in the finals.
Lester been great on the third tall.. Although we need a bigger defender to help Darcy and Andrews

I really enjoy your posts Quigley but you give Ah Chee a serve every week. I reckon he's been really solid all year , has genuine talent and will really improve . Don't see his spot being under any pressure at all.

The rest of it I agree with . Love what Coleman can bring , just that extra bit of bite around the packs. He'll take a lot of confidence out of tonight's game.

Ah Chee had two shocking tackling efforts close together that were actually called about by Hodge but that'd be the worst I could say about his game. He does have this thing since going forward where he seems to take the ball at the worst opportune time, not even winning a hard ball and getting tackled, he seems to be on the end of high looping handballs or similar low result looseballs with all he inevitably gets tackled but to his credit he's actually very good with the handball in those scenarios. There's bundles of times he's taken a ball which I've been frustrated with, because I feel he should just smack it on or do enough to create a ball up, but he takes and usually gets a handball away at the last minute.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
win ugly with players down you take it any day.
On top of that your best and only tall defender out and them playing 3 players over 200cm in is a big plus
We played the last defending the lead. Would of like to at least try to score more.

A lot of players had good moments.
Big O had a fantastic game
Berry and Lyons huge.
Neale and Clugga class.
Hipwood made more contests to just make a contest which was great
McStay down back help us through the last
Coleman great debut

I say Linc and Payne in next week.. Go with one ruck and pinch hitting
Suns normally have Witts do 90%
unless we move McStay back and go for Archie or Skinner or Ballenden in forward.
I think Payne needs a game.. We been getting away playing short in the back line all year.
Need to get games into him not just throw him at the Tigers, Cats or Eagles in the finals.
The backline has been so solid all year you'd be reluctant to alter the structure . So Payne for Harris . To me McStay just hasn't been giving us anything in his current role lately . He spilt 4 or 5 sitters tonight. . I guess we have no one else but he looks a ready made defender to me . Birch looked really gassed and struggled to make some contests but he did try very hard to limit any damage from that. I'm wondering if McStay could play his role. The question remains who goes forward.

Oct 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
Berry, Hipwood, McInerney, Starcevich, McCluggage the top 5 for me.

1- Berry was sensational.
2- Hipwood just gut runs and makes it to contests that you don't expect him to make it to, very rarely allows an intercept mark at the back, puts on great pressure for a big man as well... underrated around the ground.
3- Keidean Coleman showed some amazing glimpses, loved that crunching tackle on the wing right under where we were sitting, has great vision and calmness as well.
4- Fantastic win with 2 down on the bench.
5- Big O in my opinion lost nothing in comparison to Grundy, the O is getting better each week.

7- Why the hell wasn't that a free kick to Robbo after that charge in the back from Maynard, unfathomable decision by the umpires... I'd bet my left nut that if Robbo did the exact same thing to Pendlbury after a Magpies goal the decision would have been free kick.

Absolute BS non decision mate. Some wacko pies supporters on twitter are claiming it was because he ‘taunted’ Noble before Maynard knocked him over, so the two cancel each other out. Maybe they need to watch the first part of this clip:

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Berry Picker

Senior List
Sep 6, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Said in the presser he reckons we won because they gave the goals to us through their sloppiness. Never mind our pressure that put them in that position, but you know.

2 flags, Bucks. 2 flags.
1599227906864.png

Oct 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
Actually want some sort of an answer on that Robbo non free.. that is as bad a non call as you’ll ever see.

I’d love to hear their explanation mate. Right in front of the umpire and clear as day. Can’t get my head around it. 🤷‍♂️

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Ah Chee had two shocking tackling efforts close together that were actually called about by Hodge but that'd be the worst I could say about his game. He does have this thing since going forward where he seems to take the ball at the worst opportune time, not even winning a hard ball and getting tackled, he seems to be on the end of high looping handballs or similar low result looseballs with all he inevitably gets tackled but to his credit he's actually very good with the handball in those scenarios. There's bundles of times he's taken a ball which I've been frustrated with, because I feel he should just smack it on or do enough to create a ball up, but he takes and usually gets a handball away at the last minute.
I know what you mean. But he's very quick when he's under real pressure. I can see why he frustrates some people because as you say he sometimes makes it harder than it has to be . Just needs more experience and confidence imo. He can really run when he has to and probably has the best leap in our team.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Starcevich - I have thought he has been serviceable this year but today he was much better than that. I thought today was easily his best game for us and played a crucial role for us especially when Harris went down.

I gave him a vote.

Stephenson doesn't need many chances to hurt you on the scoreboard but Starc did an absolute number on him tonight.

That mark Starc took over him in the third quarter was sublime .......and crucial.

If that ball even spills to ground, Stehenson probably gets to the drop first almost in the goal square.

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I wonder if this late in the season we will just move McStay back and give Skinner another crack up forward. Mind you with Fullerton out as well Skinner and Payne may get a run.
With Payne named as an emergency against Pies, he will play against CG, and would not risk Andrews for the next couple of games. We should be getting some games into Payne, for this very reason to cover an injury.
I think Birchall should miss GC next Wednesday and the trip up to Cairns to play Sydney a few days later, he looks a bit tired to me. Bring witho or maybe Dev to get another game.
I have a lot of admiration for Sam overcoming those three knee injuries, just feel he lacks a little bit of agility, so McStay probably holds his spot and maybe can be the forward ruck. Archie was also emergency against the Pies.

braddsey

Club Legend
May 11, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hmm I dunno. I love what he's given us with some attacking kicks this year but is it really more than what Witherden gives us? Some of his defensive efforts have been pretty meh last few weeks. Happy for him to be best 22 but if we're feeling any sort of list crunch going forward giving him another year is questionable.
IF he's hit a trigger clause in his contract, then he's contractually entitled to it. Unless the AFL is offering voluntary redundancy packages to reduce list sizes, the he can take his spot on the list in 2021.

IF he's hit a trigger clause in his contract, then he's contractually entitled to it. Unless the AFL is offering voluntary redundancy packages to reduce list sizes, the he can take his spot on the list in 2021.

Yeah, there'll be no contract breaking but from games perspective he'll be spending a year in the reserves and we'll probably be paying a premium. Probably would've preferred just playing Witherden more tbh.

Back