Review Round 15, 2020 - Brisbane Lions vs. Collingwood

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't care what the media think. Don't care whether Buckley rates us or not. Definitely don't care what the scum supporters think. However, I do care to know whether or not you think Starc looks like Serafini? I could swear it's like watching Sera out there and God he was a great full back.

There are massive differences...
One was an Italian God.
This one is developing into a Croatian version.
Both enjoy Roman the backline...

Thats it from me.

Don't think Kiddy has the tank to keep his place for the rest of the year but I loved how relentless our defensive pressure was with him in the side. Really exciting debut from him - a forward line with him and Charlie will be so fun to watch.

Starce was the one for me who stood up when Harris went down. He held the backline together when it felt like everything might fall apart and won some key contests. He and Bailey have been our biggest improvers this year, and look like really astute picks by our recruiting team.

Best defensive effort for the year.
Without doubt.
Starcevich was fantastic, Gardiner the same.
Lester struggled a bit on Cox as expected, giving up 20 odd cms.
Best game for Berry for the year also, hard and tough at the contest and just got to the right places, especially late in the game.
Oscar was like a man possessed against Grundy in the ruck.

Was a massive effort to hang on after half time 2 rotations down. And for the defensive group to steel themselves without Andrews.

Finals like intensity, was a great pre-cursor for the finals series ahead.

Usually we would be complaining or whining or sh*t canning our players about a loss. Now we are trying to find negativity about a win against one of the teams we have not beaten for a while.This season is out of the norm by all extremes and in some part i can see where you are coming from re in one of my posts i posted, re disappointed we did not score a goal in the last quarter, BUT in this day and age of footy i will take a win against anyone ESPECIALLY collingwood. This win was so important tonight and i dont care how we got it but we got it and thats the most important thing.

You are right, it’s easy to take focus away from how intensely physical that game was and the fact that Collingwood had just 9 scoring shots from 41 inside 50’s goes to show how good our defensive pressure was.

Unless we're trading in someone then yes. What would we do presently if O went down with a 4 week injury?
Fair point, and a trade would be a better option. I just believe we build up Tom F and Ballenden in the off season and give them some games next year to show what they have. Stef is 34 at the end of this year.

Our structure had to modify on the fly, and the runner can't get out to every single player and tell them the long play by play during the game time. It's going to look messy if players are used to a specific rotation policy and that gets thrown out the window. But that's not just a Lions problem, you'd get that with any team with half a bench injured during the game.
Like deeeerrrrr captain obvious

Hate to sound negative but we limped to a win coming off a bye against a currently average oppposition with a lot of their key players out, not sure what to make of that. I’m just waiting for boys to go up another gear but we seem to just get by with 4 points!

Can't just leave out the fact we were 2 rotations down and they were playing for their last chance at a top 4 finish though?

I agree and was a bit flat after the game, given we gave up a lead again - we have done that in our last 4 matches now. But when you sit back and think about it, they are adapting to missing those players and have been playing with players out for the last 2 years. They have won 4 of their last 5 convincingly, I reckon this was their biggest game for the, last chance at top 4 thus pretty much a flag.

I think when you weigh it all up, it was a good win. Not being able to eek out a goal from 17 entries late int he game was frustrating, should have scored at least a couple fo goals and nailed it shut, but they wern't scoring either.

I get the sentiment and share it in some senses, but after waking up this morning, really.. its just a good gritty win against a desperate opposition.

Hipwoods ability to get to contests and halve a 2 or 3 on 1 was immense last night, it is so underrated not letting the opposition mark it and have an easy inside 50 kick, imagine the pies taking mark after mark coming out of 50, changes the game entirely.

Big O 9 clearances 5 tackles played one hell of a game.

The most damning aspect of the Robbo "no free" incident is that when questioned by Robbo the umpire said "you started it". By which he means you pushed/taunted him earlier. As if that is ever a justification for not paying a free that was clearly there. If ever there was evidence of bias, subconscious or otherwise, against a particular player, that is it. Would be disappointed if there wasn't an offical complaint by the club about the way Robbo is treated by umpires - with video evidence from that game.

The most damning aspect of the Robbo "no free" incident is that when questioned by Robbo the umpire said "you started it". By which he means you pushed/taunted him earlier. As if that is ever a justification for not paying a free that was clearly there. If ever there was evidence of bias, subconscious or otherwise, against a particular player, that is it. Would be disappointed if there wasn't an offical complaint by the club about the way Robbo is treated by umpires - with video evidence from that game.
582447.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was hoping we would smash those campaigners but in the end we did well to win with two less rotations and Neale was clearly struggling from 3/4 onwards.

We are not a great side but we give ourselves every chance by playing to our strengths and structures and the players will go to the line for each other and Fages.. You can't ask for much more as a fan.

That said a few blokes still could improve on there efforts last night. McStay and Ah Chee were average until last qtr, where to their credit they both lifted.

Coleman was fun to watch. One of those players who has a bit of X factor about him and looked like he enjoyed being out there. Hope they keep him in the side. Berry needs to stay in the middle. Been our best last two weeks. Zorko struggling to get into games. Might be worth playing him forward more.

Starcevich played his best game for the club last night. Was super. He likes going for his marks but he needs to be careful he doesn't get out marked when he should be spoiling. Looks like being a really good player..

Big O super again. The best thing about Oscar is opposition supporters think he is no good or a no name so expect there ruck to dominate him. He is one of the most underrated players in the game but we all know how good the big fella is.

Hippy has gone up a level with his marking in the last month which is great to see. Kicking for still needs a lot of work. Rayner getting better with every game and makes good decisions with ball in hand.

Thank god we never drafted Stephenson. Might have been brilliant last season but I haven't seen many softer players in the game. Refuses contact. Grundy either injured or buggered but he is half the player right now.

Finally the non free kick to Robbo up there in the worst 5 decisions this year. Maynard who had been limping for 30 mins suddenly sprinted from 20 away to bash him over and start a melee and the ump just stands there and swallows his whistle.
Fantastic summation of the game Royboy, agree with every word.

I was keen on Stephenson in the draft but he does look soft, has a bit of a Polec feel to him.

WHo cares about potting from the media. We’ve lost 3 games this year.

I don’t think we are as good as Richmond or Geelong at present, but all that matters is getting a top 4 spot and then anything can happen.

Media are all over us. Second youngest team int he league, 18 months into a miracle rise and they have no time for us. Whatley still orgasms over the Dogs from what they did in 2016. The Gushing over other teams, like Port is incredible. We spend 10 years in the wilderness, have a rapid, unforeseen rise and all they want to do is talk about our home state advantage, predict we won't finish top four and hypothesise that we will fail on the big stage. We barely rate a mention on AFL 360 and SEN radio

Some of Cam Rayners pick ups at pace last night were astonishing. On his way to becoming that explosive player we want him to be.
This is where the bulk of Cam Rayners improvement has come from this year.
The last couple of years he fumbled everything when it was on the ground.
Maybe he is doing a lot of work with Lachie Neale because he is becoming Lachie like, it this regard.

It was a gutsy effort from our boys as many have mentioned.

The Pies had 5 best 22 out to our 2 but this is adjusted at the selection table.
The Pies have pretty good depth so not as disadvantaged as media and Pies supporters think.

However if you lose the current AA defender at half time it does make a huge difference to the possible outcome
I thought we were well on top by half time.

It was a danger game. We were favorites and we got the 4 points. Move on to Suns next Wednesday.
We have won every close game this year. Irrespective of the opponents in those games it shows the character of the playing group
Close wins - Pies by 8, Saints by 2 Roos by 1 & Demons by 4

At the ground the crowd was awesome so would have been a factor in the last quarter
I also thought the coaches had a good chess dual. Moves were made then counter moves.

I’ll criticise my team any day after a bad performance but you lot are pretenders. Collingwood should have beaten you. 12 day break vs 4 day break. We’ll have Howe, Treloar, De Goey, Sidebottom come finals and will absolutely demolish you. Wouldn’t be so proud of that performance. Considering the above, we competed well.

I’ll criticise my team any day after a bad performance but you lot are pretenders. Collingwood should have beaten you. 12 day break vs 4 day break. We’ll have Howe, Treloar, De Goey, Sidebottom come finals and will absolutely demolish you. Wouldn’t be so proud of that performance. Considering the above, we competed well.

Would you like some salt with those chips mate? Your lot aren’t even guaranteed to play finals. Don’t start getting too far ahead of yourself

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Back