Review Round 16, 2020 vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Fk me, we won by 36 points in slippery humid conditions. What the hell is wrong with people on this board? We clearly took the foot off the pedal in the last quarter and cruised in for the win.

Stop being so damn negative.

Edit: oh and don’t forget we were a man down since early in the first quarter.
We turned the engine off and went to the local deli for a pie and farmers union ice coffee in the 2nd quarter. Another goal less quarter under Ken against a terrible football side.
Happy for the win but we can't afford to go goal less in quarters against good sides in finals, we will lose, simple.

This place messes with my sarcasm detector at times. I've seen far dumber takes than that one posted 100% unironically on here.

If we'd been playing Hawthorn and this happened my post would have been 100% serious.

That aside, I do genuinely find it extremely odd that the clib medical staff went straight fkr the replay of the vision and made a medical.decision based off of that.

If we'd been playing Hawthorn and this happened my post would have been 100% serious.

That aside, I do genuinely find it extremely odd that the clib medical staff went straight fkr the replay of the vision and made a medical.decision based off of that.

Apparently the medical staff started the concussion protocol on Simpkin and he was obviously concussed so there was no need to complete the protocol.

Ebert and Mayes hit guys who bounced straight back up and continued playing and they got medium impact. There's no way Butters has it limited to just that for a guy that failed to play out the game.

If butters hit is high then what would be a Byron Pickett hit? Super mega high impact?

I thought he was really good.

He was excellent. Just continued to get the ball forward at all cost. He was the one releasing the ball a lot of the time

Having a look at the stats this morning, a few things stand out:

Centre clearances were 15-3 in our favour, which against Goldstein and in an area where North haven't been that bad is a really good sign.

Boak: 34 disposals (game-high), 85.3% efficiency (only below Jonas and Clurey), 7 inside 50s (game-high), 485 metres gained (game-high), 12 contested possessions (equal team-high with Ollie), 9-clearances (game-high) and 9 score involvements (second highest in the team behind Robbie). What a gun performance from Trav, another 3 votes in the bag. Such a shame that Lachie Neale exists.

When we turn the intensity up we can match it with any team (especially when the 50:50 stuff goes our way).

There’s a definitely a switch that can be pulled, and going all out all game in a season where the games have been stacked pretty high would be daft.

I just hope we do it properly come finals.

Kangas got numbers around the ball, for most of the night. When the game opened up we looked better. We won , so that is all that matters. BUT, we need an alternate game plan for breaking opposition congestion. Need some more speed through the center of the ground. Boak, Wines, Rockliff provide grunt, but the slow pace does not help us. Or we change the plan, to suit the group on the ball.

Kangas got numbers around the ball, for most of the night. When the game opened up we looked better. We won , so that is all that matters. BUT, we need an alternate game plan for breaking opposition congestion. Need some more speed through the center of the ground. Boak, Wines, Rockliff provide grunt, but the slow pace does not help us. Or we change the plan, to suit the group on the ball.
Agreed - but I don’t this comes from putting Rozee/Butters/SPP/Houston etc MORE in the middle - and dropping either Rocky or Ollie, or playing them more forward

This is just one of our limitations, like not having a tall back man.

If we drop Rocky say, then you get an extra Woodcock/Sutcliffe/Bonner type.

The only way to sort this, is list management for 2021.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ryan Burton has almost made himself impossible to select for the rest of the season. You simply can't pick a player for a final who has a track record of getting injured literally every second game he plays and risk being down a man early in a big final. It's disappointing for him but it's impossible to trust his body at this point.

Agreed - but I don’t this comes from putting Rozee/Butters/SPP/Houston etc MORE in the middle - and dropping either Rocky or Ollie, or playing them more forward

This is just one of our limitations, like not having a tall back man.

If we drop Rocky say, then you get an extra Woodcock/Sutcliffe/Bonner type.

The only way to sort this, is list management for 2021.

Not saying we drop Rock or Ollie. It is the balance of who is on the ball, at a particular time in the game. I am not sure we manage that very well.

Sutcliffe as a defensive forward does not work, Bonner just does not work at all. Yeah 2021 list, they need to be looking now.

Not sold on Woodcock, But i was wrong about Amon,,,,,SO...

I
How the fu** does North Melbourne get away with not performing a concussion test? From the moment they started viewing the vision and ruled out Simpkin based on that you knew their primary objective was to stitch up Butters. Maybe they're pissed off at Port for giving them Polec.
If he's obviously concussed the test is useless. Kind of like trying to take a pulse on someone who's been cut in half. I'm sure they'll do higher quality testing during the week

Yep very susss ..want to bury Butters by look of it. The fella he collided with really looked ok but we shall see.

These days I seem to leave every game feeling like we have lost when we have actually won.
It’s weird..we seem able to turn it on for long enough for a win but can’t keep it up for more than a quarter at the most
. Maybe after the proper pre finals bye we will get our mojo back but Qld humid weather doesn’t suit quality football games.

I wanted a ten goal win minimum but honestly that was okay and I'll take it

Midfield with Boak & Wines & Rockliff & SPP was dominant and if we're talking about having any impact in finals it's got to start from there

Looked like North were trying to make a statement and played at their best tonight but we just had the old hand on the head keeping them at arm's length while they swing fists like a toddler

Loved DBJ and Hartlett off the back

Loved Butters' intensity, especially after he knocked over Simpkin and only went harder

Still plenty of room for improvement (yet another one of our Famous Hinkley Goalless Quarter™) I think tracking okay

Might be due to the 4 double IPAs I drank at the time or the fact I had The Fam around at the time so was watching distracted but I thought that was enough

Still don't trust Ken mind you

Apparently the medical staff started the concussion protocol on Simpkin and he was obviously concussed so there was no need to complete the protocol.

Which is absolute BS because you need to establish a baseline of current symptoms to determine how well the player is progressing in the coming days/weeks.

Those that keep going on about beating a poor team in only one quarter should go back through other top 8 team performances against s**t teams.

The other top 4 teams are also winning off the back of 1 good quarter against poor sides.

We are doing what we need without burning ourselves out like we've done in the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back