Preview OFFICIAL PREVIEW: Brisbane Lions v Gold Coast Suns - Wednesday September 9th

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well reasoned. I reckon McStay plays better further back, but this week may not be the time to make such a change for the reasons you gave. I suppose it'd be a bit much trying to throw in all three of Payne, Skinner and Ballenden to allow McStay to play back while also covering for Harris.
McStay is a lot more experienced and stronger now than when he last played in the backline where imo he showed some promise.

The problem is he's more competitive in the ruck than Skinner or Ballenden.

So I think they'll probably just bring Archie in to lessen Oscar's load ,leave McStay where he is and replace Harris with Payne

Payne probably comes in for Andrews.

The club did him no favors in giving him his debut game against Richmond. He did okay for a debut game against a top side.
Game stats - 9 disposals (3 contested, 6 uncontested), 89% disposal efficiency, 5 marks, 3 rebound 50's, 4 (1%), 2 frees against, 2 clangers, 80% TOG.
Against the Suns he will give us a better guide as to how he handles things at AFL level

McStay stays forward.
McCarthy returns.
Coleman stays in (i hope) but who is omitted will be interesting.

Payne probably comes in for Andrews.

The club did him no favors in giving him his debut game against Richmond. He did okay for a debut game against a top side.
Game stats - 9 disposals (3 contested, 6 uncontested), 89% disposal efficiency, 5 marks, 3 rebound 50's, 4 (1%), 2 frees against, 2 clangers, 80% TOG.
Against the Suns he will give us a better guide as to how he handles things at AFL level

McStay stays forward.
McCarthy returns.
Coleman stays in (i hope) but who is omitted will be interesting.
Yeah Payne probably should have debut earlier in the year at the GABBA against Freeo and or Crows. I think someone else on BF has mention this, but let him know that he is in for the next 3 games (Suns, Swans & Blues) and hopefully we can get a rough idea how he is developing, really only his second season after missing all of 2018.
I too hope Coleman stays in, i thought he showed some really good signs, but listening carefully to Fages press conference I got the feeling he might not, but hard to get omitted after only one game. I don't know who gets omitted to keep Coleman in.

McStay is a lot more experienced and stronger now than when he last played in the backline where imo he showed some promise.

The problem is he's more competitive in the ruck than Skinner or Ballenden.

So I think they'll probably just bring Archie in to lessen Oscar's load ,leave McStay where he is and replace Harris with Payne
I agree, but think Dan is probably a little fortunate that the coaches must think that Skinner, Ballenden etc not ready yet, because whilst McStay is running up field and providing a link and bringing the ball to ground, some of his marking and his set shot kicking is a real concern.

I agree, but think Dan is probably a little fortunate that the coaches must think that Skinner, Ballenden etc not ready yet, because whilst McStay is running up field and providing a link and bringing the ball to ground, some of his marking and his set shot kicking is a real concern.

On exposed form it’s not just the coaches that see that Skinner and Ballenden are pretty average at AFL level.

We need McStay forward. Collins will be looking to shutdown Hipwood. Ballard and Luko will be free to intercept and rebound as talls. McStay needs to play almost as a defensive forward and stop Ballard from intercepting which is a major strength of his. We need to overload their talls with a third tall forward. Hence I'd back Ballenden or Skinner over Archie or Eagles despite being a closet Archie fan who thinks he could build into something with some continuity. Archie is definitely the strongest ruck after Oscar on our list but for this game we definitely need a third forward chopout ruck rather than another ruckman. Oscar to play with Witts. McStay and Skinner to ruck in the F50/pinch ruck.

Paine on King, matches him in speed but will need help to block off his reach from midfield pressure, third man up. Eagles is too short to match King. Would be tough to ask Ballenden to play back again - he needs continuity in a position to really develop. Gardiner on Day. Answerth on Rankine. We can swing McStay back if Gardiner is too undersized to match Day. Lester has a tough match up on Ainsworth. Im worried about having Birchall play. 4 day turnaround against a fresh team off a 10 goal win and a bye and we still have to match up Sexton. Do we rest Birchall and swing Ah Chee back to play on Sexton/Ainsworth with Linc coming in?

It would be terrible to drop Coleman. He has a terrific handball, great burst speed and neutralised one-on-one contests in the wing/HF pocket when we had to defend in the fourth quarter. I really dont want to drop him.

Summary:
Outs - Andrews (inj), Fullerton (inj), Birchall (managed)
Ins - Paine (first KPD), Ballenden/Skinner (third tall KPF), McCarthy (small fwd).
Swing Ah Chee back to play on Ainsworth or Sexton - we need speed in the back to match the Suns. Suns have a shortish, more mobile KPDs (like Port). We need to make our forward line as tall as possible to exploit the height difference (just like we did to Port). Either we play Ballenden/Skinner who are tall or we play Archie and he rucks 50-60% time leaving Oscar as the third tall to really capitalise on a high ball.
Could Eagles come in and take Harris’ spot? He was obviously very average in that ruck/forward role, but I seem to remember hearing from reserve watchers last year he played well down back?

Obviously Payne is the future, so I guess it just depends on how much faith they have in him to step up so soon, especially knowing one slip up in the next few weeks is likely to cost us a top 2 spot at least.
Payne was named emergency against Pies, I would be surprised if he did not play ahead of Eagles. I would also 'manage' Birchall and rest him for the next two games (SUNS GABBA and SWANS in Cairns) Hinge has been named an emergency a number of times this year wonder if he gets a game or as you have said Ah Chee down back for Birchall or bring Witho in for Birchall.
We are a very good chance to finish 1st as Port play a stronger Pies team in round 18 likely not in Adelaide, and if they lose that and we win our 3 games (Suns, Swans & Blues) we finish on top, meaning we likely play Eagles or Richmond (1 v 4) at the GABBA.

On exposed form it’s not just the coaches that see that Skinner and Ballenden are pretty average at AFL level.
In the end it does not matter what we or other observes believe, but generally agree at this stage not AFL standard and that is why little pressure on McStay.
The weak NEAFL has done no favours to some of our developing players, but Skinner has had a total of 4 AFL games and Ballenden 2 games. Brownie had no touches his first game. Andrews and especially Gardner were ordinary for the first couple of years (admittedly defence under constant pressure). So as supporters of the club let's hope that Lions play in the VFL next year and this will develop some of our kids

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m sorry but I never bought into the Suns hype. They are a bad team, still bottom 4 IMO. Would rather play them than North/Freo.

I wish I agreed with you 😂

thinking as Payne does not play the interceptor role in NEAFL normally
Do we get Payne in for Lester
Switch McStay back doing Andrews role
Get Skinner/Ballenden in for McStay's role
Move Ah Chee back and get McCarthy in.

So out Andrews, Lester and Fullarton
In Payne, McCarthy and Skinner/Ballenden.

I've been very impressed with the Suns development in 2020, reminds me a lot of our 2018 5 win season.

I’ve been to four of their games this season unfortunately look awesome in patches. Get Rowell back on the field and these guys are going to do well in a year or two.

I’d love a grand final win over them. Wouldn’t Victoria go nuts.

On that - Clarkson has said he won’t go to the draft cause it’s compromised with all the academies and talent pathways. . A qld/qld gf would be debated for years

thinking as Payne does not play the interceptor role in NEAFL normally
Do we get Payne in for Lester
Switch McStay back doing Andrews role
Get Skinner/Ballenden in for McStay's role
Move Ah Chee back and get McCarthy in.

So out Andrews, Lester and Fullarton
In Payne, McCarthy and Skinner/Ballenden.

Payne is a good mark and spoiler. Could play the role.

Ballenden would be another intercept mark option too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back