Preview OFFICIAL PREVIEW: Brisbane Lions v Gold Coast Suns - Wednesday September 9th

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Payne is a good mark and spoiler. Could play the role.

Ballenden would be another intercept mark option too.
Ballenden has some weapons, I'm not a fan of him as a KPD though, lacks aggression and a physical presence, pushed off the ball too easy. Might be OK v a young Ben King but players like Josh Kennedy, Tom Lynch, Tom Hawkins and Charlie Dixon would cast him aside like a fart in the wind.

Ballenden has some weapons, I'm not a fan of him as a KPD though, lacks aggression and a physical presence, pushed off the ball too easy. Might be OK v a young Ben King but players like Josh Kennedy, Tom Lynch, Tom Hawkins and Charlie Dixon would cast him aside like a fart in the wind.
Hawkins has been a real gorilla lately. Personally I'd have Eagles on any of those stronger guys.

I know it's problematic as well but I think he'd have more hope than a Payne or Ballenden.

I’m sorry but I never bought into the Suns hype. They are a bad team, still bottom 4 IMO. Would rather play them than North/Freo.

They pushed the Saints to within a goal. They handled Richmond a lot better than us and were knee deep in them until the last throws of the 4th quarter. They always play a level above for the Pineapple Grapple. This is our danger game.

Payne is a good mark and spoiler. Could play the role.

Ballenden would be another intercept mark option too.

I have seen Payne take some great intercept marks in NEAFL games. I’m pretty sure he may have manned up on Ben King in the NEAFL at least once early last year. He may have come across Corbett at NEAFL level as well. Payne has surprising pace and good closing speed.

We almost lost to North. Every game is a danger game. Not sure why people feel the need to state it as one just to look smart if we don’t win comfortably.

You wouldn't be bringing him in to play one on one not saying I think he's a legitimate chance, but could play the intercept role.

Haven't read the whole thread but McStay stays forward for me and definitely not dropped. I just don't see who we replace him with.

I have issues with his marks not sticking - should be better after 100+ games but that's really my only issue.
Acts as a foil for Hipwood, easing the pressure on Eric (Hipwood kicks 5.1 after McStay returns in round 11) They have good cohesion - rarely crash the same packs or spoil each other. He brings the ball to ground - almost as a defensive tall forward. This and his work up the ground is where I see his value to the team. Just think we lose too much of our forward structure having him out.

On that - Clarkson has said he won’t go to the draft cause it’s compromised with all the academies and talent pathways. . A qld/qld gf would be debated for years
Between this and umpiring and kids footy, Clarkson strikes me as the kid no one wanted to play with because even though he'd have all the gear, he'd get the sooks and take the ball home when things don't go his way.

We almost lost to North. Every game is a danger game. Not sure why people feel the need to state it as one just to look smart if we don’t win comfortably.
We were three kicks up for most of the fourth and were two kicks up at the siren. If you want to pick a near loss go St Kilda.

Haven't read the whole thread but McStay stays forward for me and definitely not dropped. I just don't see who we replace him with.

I have issues with his marks not sticking - should be better after 100+ games but that's really my only issue.
Acts as a foil for Hipwood, easing the pressure on Eric (Hipwood kicks 5.1 after McStay returns in round 11) They have good cohesion - rarely crash the same packs or spoil each other. He brings the ball to ground - almost as a defensive tall forward. This and his work up the ground is where I see his value to the team. Just think we lose too much of our forward structure having him out.
McStay would not be playing in the side at other clubs especially the top 8 to 10 clubs with the performances he is dishing up. For the size of him, his continual performances are well below standards. We need this individual to dominate but rarely see a glimmer of domination at all.

McStay would not be playing in the side at other clubs especially the top 8 to 10 clubs with the performances he is dishing up. For the size of him, his continual performances are well below standards. We need this individual to dominate but rarely see a glimmer of domination at all.

We need him to dominate?

We need him to dominate?
I'd like to see him in the best players just once or twice. How many times has he been in our best 6 or 7 ? Hardly ever but happy to be corrected.

Playing a role is fine but my perception is many think that to cover up the fact that he isn't all that good.

But I'm happy to accept we likely have no one better . If you're playing a role you need to not drop sitters,which happens more often than it should, and not miss sitters ,which also happens more often than it should.

I really hope he starts playing better but realistically he hasn't improved from last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to see him in the best players just once or twice. How many times has he been in our best 6 or 7 ? Hardly ever but happy to be corrected.

Playing a role is fine but my perception is many think that to cover up the fact that he isn't all that good.

But I'm happy to accept we likely have no one better . If you're playing a role you need to not drop sitters,which happens more often than it should, and not miss sitters ,which also happens more often than it should.

I really hope he starts playing better but realistically he hasn't improved from last year.

Check our player of the year votes.

Where are they ?

Thanks . Well he got votes in a couple of early games. It's not like I expect him to be getting many votes or kicking lots of goals but you'd have to say some of the guys below him have had far better years. e.g Hipwood , Rich, Gardiner.

The stat that isn't in the votes is the number of mares anyone has.

But it's a bit pointless, everyone has their opinion . He's in for the foreseeable future and we just hope he plays his role efficiently for the rest of the year.

Thanks . Well he got votes in a couple of early games. It's not like I expect him to be getting many votes or kicking lots of goals but you'd have to say some of the guys below him have had far better years. e.g Hipwood , Rich, Gardiner.

The stat that isn't in the votes is the number of mares anyone has.

But it's a bit pointless, everyone has their opinion . He's in for the foreseeable future and we just hope he plays his role efficiently for the rest of the year.

The number of mares probably relates to the games played stat. If you're struggling to do what the coaches want then you won't be playing every game you're available.

Nothing's changed in my mind. McStay is best 22 but it won't take much for someone to take his spot. Unfortunately guys like Skinner and Ballenden arent really showing that can offer any more

The number of mares probably relates to the games played stat. If you're struggling to do what the coaches want then you won't be playing every game you're available.

Nothing's changed in my mind. McStay is best 22 but it won't take much for someone to take his spot. Unfortunately guys like Skinner and Ballenden arent really showing that can offer any more
That I agree with.

We are a very good chance to finish 1st as Port play a stronger Pies team in round 18 likely not in Adelaide, and if they lose that and we win our 3 games (Suns, Swans & Blues) we finish on top, meaning we likely play Eagles or Richmond (1 v 4) at the GABBA.
I don't think it really matters if we finish first. We are just not in the same class as Geelong and Richmond and possibly West Coast and Port Adelaide. We barely beat bottom six clubs and the likes of Geelong and Richmond just don't have an issue playing at the Gabba. In addition, guys go down and they bring in the likes of Henderson, Jenkins etc. whereas we'll be relying on the likes Payne or an Eagles, Ballenden, Skinner etc. I still think someone like Robertson should have been rookied for the break glass situation. If Berry or Neale go down, who are we relying on?

I don't think it really matters if we finish first. We are just not in the same class as Geelong and Richmond and possibly West Coast and Port Adelaide. We barely beat bottom six clubs and the likes of Geelong and Richmond just don't have an issue playing at the Gabba. In addition, guys go down and they bring in the likes of Henderson, Jenkins etc. whereas we'll be relying on the likes Payne or an Eagles, Ballenden, Skinner etc. I still think someone like Robertson should have been rookied for the break glass situation. If Berry or Neale go down, who are we relying on?

Matho, CEY, Dev Robertson, all of whom are better as mids than Nick Robbo. Is there a single list management decision you have liked at the club, other than picking up Lyons for free?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back