Past Robert Muir - ABC Article

ee98e87eab1aaeba6253ae293f697392.jpg

3ffea852f3a015ed70185d46022fa951.jpg

Article from the newspaper the day after.

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
It is funny watching people back down when players confront them. Happens at every level.
I remember a local footy final 10-15 years ago where a bloke 30 metres around from my mates and I was getting into the opposition’s star player who was also playing coach. That was until the player came up and told them to make sure they’re waiting there after the game.
As soon as the siren went, the abuser ran straight up to the player with a grovelling apology and then got out of there as quickly as they could.
On a side note, the star playing coach is now our own midfield coach, Adam Skrobalak.

One of the funniest ones I saw was at the cricket, a one dayer circa 99. It's a bit of 'you had to be there' but anyway...

One of my mates had it in for Glenn McGrath (for some stupid reason). McGrath finished his 1st spell in a rain affected game and headed our way to take up his position at fine leg.

Old mate Damo;

"Hey McGrath, why'd ya get dragged? For bowling pies?"

Ooh Ahh (all very calm but serious)

"No mate, its a reduced overs game, so I can only bowl 7 in total so I'll be back for my 2nd spell later".

Damo;

"ah ok"

You can imagine that we've never let him forget it.

Moquo

Hall of Farmer
Jun 10, 2005
Sexyland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
suck arse
This update re: the gofundme page...

Catherine and I have been thrilled to see how keen everyone has been to support Robbie after his story was revealed last Sunday.

In order to sort the administration side of things and get the funds to him sooner rather than later, we decided to close off the GoFundMe page and get the ball rolling. Today we received news the money has been transferred which is wonderful news. What a difference a week makes!

Many people still want to contribute. We contacted the club to work out a way to facilitate this and they said that anyone who would like to do so can contact Robbie at the email address in his press release from yesterday: robert.muir@saints.com.au

What an amazing group of people you all are! We are humbled to have been a part of this outsanding joint effort.

Fortius Quo Fidelius

Thank for the update.

Read quite a few comments in a similar thread: 'Robbie Muir - A must-read article"

I wish I hadn't of.

The racists and trolls who want to give their opinion about Robbie Muir have come out of their holes and just can't help themselves.

Very sad....

Yep - but long may the racists and trolls have the right to express their opinion.

Apparently that is what is important, when called out they cry 'cancel culture' not oh I might just listen to the person who has been subject to racism - I need the right to be a racist and a troll.

Yep - but long may the racists and trolls have the right to express their opinion.

Apparently that is what is important, when called out they cry 'cancel culture' not oh I might just listen to the person who has been subject to racism - I need the right to be a racist and a troll.

There are some cancel culture dickheads that go too far but it never excuses racists who seem to think that it means that they are entitled to say what ever they like in response to it. I thought this article was amazing in that rather than being purely about shaming anyone it actually really put you in Muir's shoes and you got a real sense of the things that contributed to why he acted like he did and allowed him to be shunned.

My wife is studying psych in child and adolescent mental health and particularly education outcomes. Kids who suffer trauma can lose 20 points off their IQ so then cop the stupid tag, then act up because they feel stupid and it perpetuates. Teachers aren't taught to watch out for kid's issues and it's one massive slow moving train wreck that follows people who are more likely to turn to drugs or crime and have derailed lives. Anyone who can read this article and still feel little compassion for another human being who has suffered so much must be a sociopath or a troll who enjoys winding people up, or maybe it's the same thing.

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
There are some cancel culture dickheads that go too far but it never excuses racists who seem to think that it means that they are entitled to say what ever they like in response to it. I thought this article was amazing in that rather than being purely about shaming anyone it actually really put you in Muir's shoes and you got a real sense of the things that contributed to why he acted like he did and allowed him to be shunned.

My wife is studying psych in child and adolescent mental health and particularly education outcomes. Kids who suffer trauma can lose 20 points off their IQ so then cop the stupid tag, then act up because they feel stupid and it perpetuates. Teachers aren't taught to watch out for kid's issues and it's one massive slow moving train wreck that follows people who are more likely to turn to drugs or crime and have derailed lives. Anyone who can read this article and still feel little compassion for another human being who has suffered so much must be a sociopath or a troll who enjoys winding people up, or maybe it's the same thing.

I'm in a similar line of work to your wife & see that every day. Sadly teacher education is all about pedagogy and not about humanity. Most of us will agree that the best teachers we've had were not necessarily experts in the subjects they were teaching but were just great people. They understood the importance of building a rapport with their students and making learning fun and relevant, especially for the kids who struggle academically.

I'm a firm believer that there's no bad kids... just kids who have been treated in a way that makes them want to hurt the world.

Most of the idiots who refuse to see this are simply people who have never experienced what some people go through.

I'm in a similar line of work to your wife & see that every day. Sadly teacher education is all about pedagogy and not about humanity. Most of us will agree that the best teachers we've had were not necessarily experts in the subjects they were teaching but were just great people. They understood the importance of building a rapport with their students and making learning fun and relevant, especially for the kids who struggle academically.

I'm a firm believer that there's no bad kids... just kids who have been treated in a way that makes them want to hurt the world.

Most of the idiots who refuse to see this are simply people who have never experienced what some people go through.

It's lucky there are people like you out there.Yeah, I remember the teachers that were nice to me or had my back more than ever learning much. Instilling confidence and self belief does more than wrote learning content. I have a bit of compassion for teachers though, it's like herding cats having a pile of kids in one place. I have done some coaching and seriously a couple of hours a week with a hand full of kids made me want to sit in a corner rocking and sucking my thumb. You can totally understand how it happens and there aren't many easy answers. Educating some psychology into teachers during their course would help but it doesn't catch up those already in the system.

The education system could do with a pretty serious overhaul but it isn't going to happen, it's a pretty good system for about 40% of the population and a nightmare for probably an equal number. I know a few people who are so traumatised by their time at some of the country's best schools that they still aren't over it in their 40s. Others are the opposite and see it as the best time of their lives. I'm probably in the middle, got thorough moved on.

dougiemac

Team Captain
Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
It's lucky there are people like you out there.Yeah, I remember the teachers that were nice to me or had my back more than ever learning much. Instilling confidence and self belief does more than wrote learning content. I have a bit of compassion for teachers though, it's like herding cats having a pile of kids in one place. I have done some coaching and seriously a couple of hours a week with a hand full of kids made me want to sit in a corner rocking and sucking my thumb. You can totally understand how it happens and there aren't many easy answers. Educating some psychology into teachers during their course would help but it doesn't catch up those already in the system.

The education system could do with a pretty serious overhaul but it isn't going to happen, it's a pretty good system for about 40% of the population and a nightmare for probably an equal number. I know a few people who are so traumatised by their time at some of the country's best schools that they still aren't over it in their 40s. Others are the opposite and see it as the best time of their lives. I'm probably in the middle, got thorough moved on.
As a teacher you develop a sixth sense for kids who need extra support, care, space and so on. The education system is so obsessed with "child safety" that the days when you could sit with a kid in a classroom after class because that kid need to speak with someone who cared, are gone. Plenty of kids just need a sympathetic ear, not to be dragged through "due process". Indeed, some that I have encountered have suffered in silence rather than be ground up in bureaucratic practices.

It's just amazing, the difference between our forum and the general one in regards to Robbie Muir

Verdun doing his best to fight the good fight, one against a hoard of nuffies.

Charlie23

Draftee
Aug 7, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
My mum was really affected by that article. He is the reason she followed the saints and, indirectly, why I do. She wrote the email below to him. I don’t know if he’ll read it but I hope so.

subject: Your Days of Brilliance

Dear Robert

I am a 67-year old English woman (living back in the UK) who arrived in Melbourne in 1975 at the age of 22 and was introduced to the VFL by an Aussie flat mate who was a fanatical St Kilda supporter. After taking me to a game I was completely hooked and clearly remember your speed and talent on the field. I was amazed and in awe of you and of the game. I went to many games and in later years moved to Tasmania. My oldest son has inherited my love for St Kilda and for the wonderful game of Aussie Rules (nothing compares!) and at the age of 41 and living in the UK he’s up at all hours watching games live on his iPad - his 7-year old son has caught the bug too.

I am writing to you as my son Charlie has sent me both of the articles about you and your battles through life which fill me with sadness but also a deep admiration for the way in which you have the strength of character to have come through this as an an astonishingly strong and brave individual. You are an example to us all.

Thank you for opening up about the injustices you experienced and being brave enough to talk openly about your feelings regarding the way in which you were treated. I had no idea of the torment you were put through and just saw you as a wonderful unforgettable character with an astonishing talent as a footballer which drew the crowds.

I wish you and your family and friends the very best in the future - nothing can erase the pain and suffering you have been through but it heartens me to see the way in which people have responded and how much you are loved.

With my very best wishes

Video of the 1984 night series (last-placed VFL StK vs first-placed WAFL Sth Freo).

Robbie Muir dislocated his shoulder in R1 but returned after 7 goals in the reserves in R5.

StK were well down but kicked 7 goals in the last quarter to win (some one-touch possessions from the 31yo Muir).

Attachments

• Muir 1984 Sth Freo merged.mp4
    5.4 MB
Last edited:
Not sure this was posted. The Ballarat League did an investigation, and appear to have confirmed that racism was involved in the 2.5 year suspension for an 18yo Muir.

1598924088116.png

Not sure this was posted. The Ballarat League did an investigation, and appear to have confirmed that racism was involved in the 2.5 year suspension for an 18yo Muir.

View attachment 950326
I don't feel that I should put a 'like' on this comment but gee.....

Sep 7, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks
Thought Russell Jackson wrote an extrodinary piece on Muir.

Today however he tweets having a dig at players wearing police arm tributes after supporting BLM weeks before.

Very poor take IMO.

Back