Player Watch Pick #16 (2016) - Todd Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

I am not sure Todd Marshall will ever be a KPF. He is more like Justin Westhoff, a player who had the height and the hands to but not the weight to make it as a KPF. That doesn't mean Todd Marshall hasn't got the abilty to make it as an AFL footballer it just means he will never be a KPF.
If Todd develops into a Westhoff like player he will be far more serviceable over futures years IMO. I would like to se him have a go playing down back through out a game, could be at spoiling plus adds height. I think that Georgiades will be a far better KPF in the future.

I think Toddy is protecting his hand. It's affecting his marking and tackling ability. Odd decision to ruck him at times last night.

Not that odd as Lycett doesn't have the tank to go one on one with a Goldstein for four quarters. With no Ladhams or Westhoff it was either going to be Dixon or Marshall who helped Lycett out. Not sure if Lycett is carrying an injury or not but as it stands we need Ladhams back into the side to support Lycett and allow Dixon and Marshall to play as forwards.

We win way more games with Marshall in and its not an accident. Our forward structure is way better with Marshall in.
He is a lock for me, run him into form, injury free and he can do a thurstans come finals time.
To me ports have a good defence and midfield, but our forward structure and entries have stunk it up for a while.
Kicking long to Dixon every time wont win a premiership and its too predictable. Marshall allowed Dixon lots of one on ones but he failed to capitalize.
Marshall has the smarts and skill below his knees, that clean pickup and hand pass in the 3rd qtr to set boak up reminded of tredders.
So clean, such good skill and vision. Those little touches break open the uber defensive scrum game that afl has become.

He's just back from having surgery on his thumb.
He has just played 30 games. He has now just equalled his most games in a season (10).
He has had probably the worst personal circumstances of anyone to start their AFL career.
He's a young, skinny, developing tall forward.
He's been made to spend a significant amount of time playing in the SANFL which has historically not developed good KPFs.
In 2019 he and Charlie only played 4 games in the same team.
Our delivery in to the forward 50 is typically not to our advantage and Dixon focused.
He was forced to spend time in the ruck against one of the best rucks this year in Goldstein.

Even with the above being true, we are still 23-0-7 when Marshall plays.

Play Marshall. Play Georgiades. Play Ladhams/Hayes.

I love how when he was up and about these doubters retreated to a corner and since coming back from a broken thumb and having to ruck and play deep forward and keeping his defender out of the play while our midfield bombed kick after kick onto Dixon’s head these guys have come out of the woodwork.
im a long time Todd Marshall doubter, mainly because i go by results and not hyperbole, my main fault of him is he's lazy, he has the talent

im a long time Todd Marshall doubter, mainly because i go by results and not hyperbole, my main fault of him is he's lazy, he has the talent
Yeah, if only our win record with Todd was significantly better then it is without. Wait! It is! 23-7 with him playing for a 77% win-loss, is significantly better than what our record minus Todd across the years he's been on the list. I want a flag and it's clear playing him with Dixon is an important part of it, so yeah, I'll ignore hyperbole that he hasn't dominated every game as a KPF with less than 50 games (and those with breaks for injuries and multiple family tragedies) to just look at the important results.

I think Toddy is protecting his hand. It's affecting his marking and tackling ability. Odd decision to ruck him at times last night.
Definitely protecting it. Back in my playing days, I was a pretty decent mark until I badly sprained my thumb early one season. I came back way too early and injured it again taking a grab. The rest of the year I was very apprehensive about marking, usually opting for a chest mark or double grabbing it. Obviously his rehab would have been first class, but it doesn't take much to re-injure a weak thumb and it'll take him a while to get his confidence up.

In the few games prior to his injury, he was definitely crashing the packs which I hadn't seen from him before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol carn

says he goes by results, ignores actual results, and calls Marshall lazy with no evidence (he was getting up and down the ground as good as anyone pre-injury wasn’t he)

Marshall’s a young second forward in a team that crowds its forward half and is notoriously dixon-centric.

since you’re so ‘results’ based I would love a list of second key forwards clearly having a better year than our 21yr old kid... remember there’s 17 other teams. Good luck.

Hes still only 21. I think he's overall had a very good year even if his last few games have been underwhelming statistically (but have also conincided with big Dixon games).

The couple of times when Marshall went in the ruck against Goldstein I thought he beat him or at the very least drew level to him, so at least it’s something.
But do agree he needs to step up. Unfortunately every season hes been with us something unfortunate happens to him.

As much as inconsistency has plagued Hoff's career, he was capable of bobbing up and kicking 4. This is not something Marshall has shown in 2020.

Maybe we under rate Hoff as a secondary goal kicking target?

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
[/QUOTE]
hoff was on fire early in his career, 3 a game or so, wish he could have kept it up.
marshall is a natural forward, not an all rounder.
fan of hoff, dry, stil, day game, play him, along with marshall.
but I don't want hoff kicking at goal, ever.

As much as inconsistency has plagued Hoff's career, he was capable of bobbing up and kicking 4. This is not something Marshall has shown in 2020.

Maybe we under rate Hoff as a secondary goal kicking target?

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Ever since "that day" against GC I've trusted the Hoff more on the run than from a set shot.

If we were thinking tall for tall probably Ladhams for now.

We win way more games with Marshall in and its not an accident. Our forward structure is way better with Marshall in.
He is a lock for me, run him into form, injury free and he can do a thurstans come finals time.
To me ports have a good defence and midfield, but our forward structure and entries have stunk it up for a while.
Kicking long to Dixon every time wont win a premiership and its too predictable. Marshall allowed Dixon lots of one on ones but he failed to capitalize.
Marshall has the smarts and skill below his knees, that clean pickup and hand pass in the 3rd qtr to set boak up reminded of tredders.
So clean, such good skill and vision. Those little touches break open the uber defensive scrum game that afl has become.
No its not an accident, its got a lot to do with Marshall's good fortune in terms of which games he plays as the games he has played in since 2017 have been scattered. For the most part that has not been his fault, the reasons have been tragic. However it has resulted in the following

Since 2017 when Marshall and Dixon play together on average we have been playing a team placed 12.3 on the ladder. When they don't play together, we have on average been playing a team placed 7.5 on the ladder. So yeah we have won a lot more games with Marshall and Dixon playing together..

Since 2017 when Marshall has played in a match and we have won the average ladder position of the opponent has been 12th. When Marshall has played and we have lost, the average ladder position of the opponent has been 7th.

No doubt our forward structure looks better playing more than one permanent KPF (no, Ryder, Westhoff, Laddhams etc are NOT permanent KPFs) and it helps Dixon tremendously. However there can be no argument that Marshall's win loss record also has a lot to do with being picked at the right time to play the right teams.

23-1-6 is just absolutely disgusting.

79.3% winrate - if he keeps that rate up for 50 games it would be the highest winrate of any player who has played after 1985 (ie AFL era).

The only modern era guys who come close are Mark Blake who played at the Cats during a five year period of two flags and one grand final loss, and Nathan Broad who plays at the Tiges during a 4 year period of two flags and one prelim.

I almost want us to win the flag this year, the minor prem next year, then have him retire just for the record.

Falling back on that win rate doesn’t justify his selection by itself anymore. As noted above, it was interesting to see that on average Marshall plays against sides 5 spots lower on the ladder then when he doesn’t play. Also it’s worth nothing, during most of that time our only other real choice was a guy who now can’t get a game the Crows.

Marshall isn’t our only choice anymore with Ladhams and Georgiades also waiting to come back in and both having looked really dangerous in the games they’ve played.

However, 4 years into his Career he needs to start really imposing himself on games. If the biggest reason for picking him is “developing a key forward” then how about Georgiadis who has probably looked the more Dangerous player and cold have bagged 5 in his last game ? (14 scoring shots for 7 games to Marshall’s 16 from 10)

I’m not writing him off, for mine he is ahead of Amon a few years ago and look at the turn around there. If Toddy can have as big a turn around he can be a seriously good player. But for now, he needs to be better then both Ladhams and Georgiadis and put us in a better position to win Finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back