Autopsy Round 16, 2020: St.Kilda v Hawthorn *GEARY 200TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, in AFL though? Lots of under agers come through and play in different possies to what they did in juniors. I may be wrong but I can't think of many 2 - 4 year AFL players that have gone from HB to mid yet we have a lot of people saying this is an option for two Saints players?
As I said I don't think it will happen with Coffield, he played very little mid in his 18's and just looks like a natural backman.

Plenty have had their apprenticeship across either half back or half forward before moving into the middle though.

Yeo, Jones, Petracca, McGrath

Even Steven and Gresham didn't really play mid until their 4th year in the system.

I woukd have expected Clark to have more time in the middle this year though so if it doesn't happen soon I'll be a bit surprised. Looks to have all the tools.

Issue is what else are our options..we can bring in Bytel or Dunny if fit in place of Geary but not going to happen..

Only other option is if Coff (I hope not) pulls up sore from that ankle
The obvious changes are

In: King, Membrey, Carlisle
Out: Abbott, Marsh, Phillips

Still think we are a bit light on for mids though

A couple of things with the defence.
Yeah the easy goals/shots in defence has accelerated in the past half dozen matches.

Howard... I actually like him more with ball in hand than as a defender!! And that's not so much a good thing. He's all out at sea reading the play coming in, the only times he goes for it he wipes out about three of our own guys.

Again and again, we defend the high ball with too many, they all go to ground or no one there for the crumbs.

A lot of confusion back there at the moment.
Yeah Howard had a mare in terms of contesting the ball coming in. He got lost a number of times. Their last goal is a prime example. He was in the goal square when the ball was coming in. He then half ran out to the contest but didn't get there. The ball then fell over the back to where he should have stayed if he wasn't going to go for the ball hard. Thank goodness we were up by enough.

I'm finding my self agreeing with George a fair bit lately. Gonna have to rewatch clarksons presser but if it is as people have reiterated in here then I think you are spot on and so is he.

Hes right. We wont trouble to many sides come finals and the reason for that is we cannot control a sides best football.

Have people not noticed yet that sides tend to score more freely against us?

The other problem is we struggle against sides that either have one big strong mid or have a strong contested brigade in there. You dont run up against these sides at outside the 8 well you normally don't. When we go up against them we struggle. For example cunnington at north. Fyfe and mundy at freo. Pies decent in there. Geelong.

Lastly you dont have the free flowing high scoring footy in finals that we aim for. Which is going to compound all of the above.

If we want to start to give the flag a shake we need to address the above. We need to start having a couple more strings to our bow. We need to slow the ball down and move it with keepies off footy. Where we find a way to have a set shot inside 50.

We need to find a way to grind out games and really turn our mids into contested beasts. Not everyone will be like this i.e. hill. But we need others to help steele.
Spot on.
I doubt anyone, well, almost anyone, would disagree with that.

Though making finals is in itself all that's required for this year to be a flat out success.
Exposing the squad to the event is the primary benefit and there's no downside to any result.

Anyway, let's not count our chickens just yet.

Jack Sinclair doing the no.35 proud.

35_SINCLAIR.jpg

The shake the shimmy, breaking tackles and pinpointing passes inside 50, he's not quite at Robert Harvey's level yet but he's getting there.

A few comments on Coff and Clark.

Agree with the poster on the last page - atm Clark isn't playing with the level of urgency which is needed at AFL level, particularly defensively. I put it down to his laconic style a bit, but there were a few times when the contest was a few quick strides away and his effort was lacking to chase, harass and pressure. If he had Lonies endeavour, he would be a complete footballer at his age.

Coff's intercept game is too strong at this early stage to move him away from our defensive 50. His size and marking ability is making him a headache for opposition forwards both defensively and offensively in the air.

Coffield looks like the complete footballer at this stage because his game is built off defense and there is little doubt he has a wonderful ability to read the play and get into position. Clark will be fine in the long run, it just needs to click for him as well as get his fitness base up so that he can make repeat efforts.

A couple of things with the defence.

Yeah Howard had a mare in terms of contesting the ball coming in. He got lost a number of times. Their last goal is a prime example. He was in the goal square when the ball was coming in. He then half ran out to the contest but didn't get there. The ball then fell over the back to where he should have stayed if he wasn't going to go for the ball hard. Thank goodness we were up by enough.

Yeah, he's confused when to go or not. Another example was when I think the Hawk was in the forward pocket, Geary was manning the goalsquare, but Howard just kept running for the already manned goalsquare and left an unmarked Hawk free for a mark. Bad awareness there.

I think we need to simplify things back there. If Howard is around, just give him all the responsibilty to make the spoil, no one else get in his way. If he's being blocked early, this is when the second defender comes in. I suppose his strength is his leap, but he's not making many contests lately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spot on.
I doubt anyone, well, almost anyone, would disagree with that.

Though making finals is in itself all that's required for this year to be a flat out success.
Exposing the squad to the event is the primary benefit and there's no downside to any result.

Anyway, let's not count our chickens just yet.
But this is why I loved this game so much. It wasn't pretty, but I feel like we have recognised that we need different gears. We need to play that style of footy and learn it and today we did that.

The next stage in our progress (other than refining what we saw today) is to make it become organic and ingrained in our team. We shouldn't need to recognise an issue at QT when the coaches tell us and then play that way from there on, we need to recognise it in game and respond quicker.

I loved Cats game today because they did this to perfection. They changed it up whenever they could, played keeping off down back took less risks and played the game on their terms, but when it was a stoppage or in their forward half, they were manic.

That's the blueprint.

What’s with this forum getting adds for manscaping, only seen the last 4 inches of my member since 2008 got a pisstank on me like Stuey Dew.
Anyway onwards and upwards , gee Kent who woulda thought.

Just relieved to get the 4 points.

We still aren't playing well, kept a bottom 4 team playing a bunch of kids in the game when we should have buried them.

Missing Membrey and King didn't help but our forward line wasn't the only problem, our midfield and defence stiil needs work.

If we keep playing like that we won't play finals or make any impact if we do, can't afford to carry guys like Phillips, Marsh and Abbott.

Some positives though.

Hill played one of his best games for us so far, Long also played one of his best games in a long time, Paddy and Roma combining welll.

Coffield and Steele emerging as future captains, Sinclair turning into a quality midfielder, Kent stepping up, and Lonie having an impact.

We need to get Carlisle back in our defence though which was as bad as I've seen it this year, Hanners, Membrey and King would help too.

why has Carlisle been out for 3 games?

I wouldn't play him there yet. Hence the off season comment. Let him have a crack at training with the inside group. See where it goes from there.
Apologies misread your comment agree with your sentiment. Agree if we can develop him as inside mid could be a game changer for us his creativity, speed, decision making and size could be x factor

Good to bank the 4 points. Hard to watch though.

Marshall is an elite forward ruck. I wouldn’t be against searching for a replacement for paddy to shoulder the ruck load in the next 2 off seasons.

Coff keeps growing.

Long was back to playing pre suspension footy.

Midfield had an even contribution Although allowed some uncontested concerning centre clearances at times which was a concern.

Hunter appears to need another spell or change of role. We have Roberton and savage who could both play his role better than he has the past few games.

Out: Hunter, Abbott, Marsh, Phillips

In: King, Membrey, Carlisle, savage/Roberton.

I'm liking what Coff is doing at the moment. But this talk about Coff and Clark heading into the midfield. Genuine question, how many players have gone from good HBFs to outstanding mids in the last 10 years? There may be lots, I don't know. But how real is it?
Hodge at his peak , Yeo, Zac Jones,
Goddard, Joey?, Whitfield (could) Jarryd Berry,

I get your point it’s not super common, although as oppose to the position it’s more about the skill set that they posses, like I’ve said and others have Coff is probably less naturally suited to be a mid but his skill set at a simmilar stage is very simmilar to BJ, Yeo etc.

Clark I seems more naturally inclined to be an inside. I genuinely do think that both have the ability to become inside mids but patience especially for Coff is going to be needed. It’s not gonna happan over night. I feel like a good comparison is also Kyle Langford if you watch his first few years as a mid it took Him a while to get used to moving in and out of stoppages. Coff has great hands like Clarke so I think that at the very least will serve him well.

Lonie taking the set shot, using his full 30 seconds sine tad of running into the goal is another underrated moment of just reading the situation well.

Sinclair was immense today. We wouldn't have won without his composure and smarts.
Sincs was very good. Got burned at least a couple of times around our f50 as well. Ive noticed that happen to him in a few games

What’s with this forum getting adds for manscaping, only seen the last 4 inches of my member since 2008 got a pisstank on me like Stuey Dew.
Anyway onwards and upwards , gee Kent who woulda thought.

Its targeted advertising. I bought my son a gaming monitor for his birthday last week and i've been getting adds for monitors all day. But now i'm getting adds for sports betting, which i don't do.
I also don't know why i get the adds for ladies swimwear, though i'm smitten with one model even though i'm old enough to be her father.

Its targeted advertising. I bought my son a gaming monitor for his birthday last week and i've been getting adds for monitors all day. But now i'm getting adds for sports betting, which i don't do.
I also don't know why i get the adds for ladies swimwear, though i'm smitten with one model even though i'm old enough to be her father.

I'm getting Gold, women's clothes and guitar technique. Manscaping last week. None make any sense what so ever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back