Autopsy Bulldogs win a heart stopper vs Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry for the lateness but here is the usual... I will say that you can't deny Gardner is improving each and every week with tonight no exception going at 100% efficiency, 5 spoils (team high) and 100% tackle efficiency. Still very scary when he has it but he is getting better and better.

Expected Score
WB: 74
WC: 42

Effective Clearances
WB: 30
WC: 23

Tackle Efficiency
WB: 68%
WC: 52%

Ruck Contests (Hitouts/To Advantage)
60 - English (23/9)
8 - Bruce (1/0)
4 - Dunkley (1/0)
1 - Bontempelli, Naughton (0/0)

First Possessions
WB: 33
WC: 34

WB Kicks Inside 50

View attachment 954931

Shots At Goal

WB: 22 (27%)
WC: 13 (54%)

4 - Wallis (50%)
3 - Bontempelli (33%)
3 - Dunkley (33%)
3 - Lloyd (33%)
2 - Bruce (0%)
2 - Hunter (0%)
2 - Naughton (0%)
1 - Johannisen (0%)
1 - McLean (0%)
1 - R. Smith (100%)

Targets Inside 50
6 - Bruce
5 - Naughton
4 - Wallis
3 - Bontempelli, English
1 - Dunkley, Hunter, Johannisen, Liberatore, Lloyd

Turnovers Punished By Goals
1 - Cordy, Hayes, Johannisen, Williams

Pressure Gauge
WB: 177 (Below Average)
WC: 170 (Below Average)

Score Sources
View attachment 954932

Only 4 kicks to the hot spot........

Can we define what a hot spot is please?

Top of the goal square to Naughton basically.

Im shocked how he's not regularly the main target we pick out inside forward 50.

Think it was the Geelong game we went to Bruce 9 times and Naughton only 4.

Even tonight he took 2 marks inside 50 and should have had a free for the 3rd. Out of 5 opportunities.

Ryan Gardner’s incredible manning the mark tonight due in large part to the incredible example set in training and games throughout the season by William J Gowers.

Should be enough to see him on the list again next year you’d hope.

I really don't get the mood. Unhappy with a loss against Geelong despite there being reasonable excuses, mostly injuries. Unhappy with a win over West Coast and write it off because they had injuries. Is the aim just to be permanently unhappy?
Isn’t it pretty obvious? We should have won last week regardless of excuses. So we were unhappy. Tonight we spent the entire game butchering the ball against a WC team missing a range of their best players, so also very disappointing. Regardless of the goal umpire helping us across the line.

We care about our football club, how we play the game, how we’re coached and managed and it’s trajectory.I just can’t understand anyone who would be at all satisfied by the last two weeks.

Isn’t it pretty obvious? We should have won last week regardless of excuses. So we were unhappy. Tonight we spent the entire game butchering the ball against a WC team missing a range of their best players, so also very disappointing. Regardless of the goal umpire helping us across the line.

We care about our football club, how we play the game, how we’re coached and managed and it’s trajectory.I just can’t understand anyone who would be at all satisfied by the last two weeks.

Isn't helped by a bizarre selection policy in which some players are given more chances than others. Hence why we can often be unhappy.

thank you for beating west coast. It didn't bring me huge amounts of joy. However it means i'm less likely to cop flak from the dudley dursleys of the afl as someone one my board pointed out. I still can't believe people think richmond are worse that west coast. 2020 is a funny year.

anyway thanks for that.

Some thoughts on a few players:
  • Good game from the Bont but over recent weeks he has completely missed with some of his long low kicks i50. These can be so damaging, especially against a strong intercepting team like WCE, but he turned it over a few times tonight. Disappointing.
  • Dunkley was a completely different player when allowed to play his usual midfield role (apart from 4 ruck contests). I hope Bev has learned the lesson: Don't play your AA-squad midfielders as sacrificial lambs in the ruck.
  • Pleased to see Bevo can find a place for 3 tallish defenders. Cordy was a bit rusty - or something - tonight but he'll be better for the run.
  • Gardner is surely not getting omitted any time soon. The qualities that Gia described in him a few weeks back are starting to come to the fore now that he has been granted a few games to find his feet. We all thought Gia must have been looking at a different player but maybe he had a point. Gardner has good speed and reasonable agility which is what you want in a tall defender (remember Kieran Collins?) He's not a complete replacement for Dale Morris (nobody is) but if he can continue his rate of improvement and increasingly trust his judgement he might yet become a regular senior player.
  • The commentators barely mentioned Toby McLean - he's not fashionable or eye-catching - but I thought he was terrific tonight. He equalled Dunkley for a game-high 9 tackles. Involved in lots of scores and was constantly in the heat of the action. Surely he has secured his place in the side for the rest of 2020.
  • I sort of liked Josh Bruce's game despite the laughable ways he found to stuff things up. He really had a go, did some important things took a couple of good grabs, etc etc. I think he is coming back to form and confidence at the right time of year. Don't underestimate the importance of the big body either. I'd like to see Schache get another game sometime but he doesn't have the physical presence of Bruce (yet).
  • Tim English must have appreciated the longer break as well as the absence of NicNat. That was a match-saving last 5 minutes from him - a little more like the English we saw in the earlier games this year. I'm convinced he'll still become a good ruckman. He won't peak for another 5 years yet.
  • Surely Ed Richards gets tapped on the shoulder this week. It's not fair on him, his teammates or the players he is keeping out. He can still come good just like Williams and McLean have done. There's plenty of time. He just needs to ply his trade at a lower level for a while. I don't accept that he's the only quick player we have left. That seems to be the last straw being clutched at by those of us trying to understand why he's still getting picked.
  • I don't think I'd have picked Hayes and Roarke Smith this week but they did OK. To improve our list we need some classy users and accumulators and these two might have to make way, but at least we know what we'll get with them - consistent effort. Nice clutch goal from Roarke too.
  • He may have been robbed of a couple of free kicks but Aaron Naughton got a lesson tonight from Barrass. No shame in that - Barrass is a quality player. He let himself down with some casual shots at goal too. We need to stamp that practice out really quickly. Take your time son. You usually learn more from having your colours lowered than from a handy 2-3 goal game. I hope he's taken the lesson on board. It's easy to forget that he's only played one and a half seasons as a forward in his life.
  • Caleb Daniel held us together in that first half. That probably earned him a bit more respect and close attention from the Eagles in the second half so he wasn't as prolific after the break, but without that first half effort we might have lost touch.

Did hayes get injured tonight? The AFL app showed him on the best for the last part of the 3rd quarter and the whole 4th.

Commentary said nothing about it.

Will be at least one change I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice point that was a goal!!
Wallis also with a couple of gifts, especially Nelsons freebie
Was a pity the umpires couldn't get your boys over the line despite how hard they tried to. The Darling free kick at the end was the cherry on top, but thankfully the biggest downhill skier in the comp wasn't able to capitalise. Back luck mate

Did hayes get injured tonight? The AFL app showed him on the best for the last part of the 3rd quarter and the whole 4th.

Commentary said nothing about it.

Will be at least one change I think.
Shown as only 53% game time so something unusual was going on.

On the flip side, as a West Coast supported you'd be disappointed that - with a top 4 position on the line and against a supposedly mid-table team - they blew it. Imagine if resting Nic Nat was out of arrogance or disrespect to our Bulldog ruck structure? As a West Coast supporter, you could argue this was the game to play Nic Nat. But they didn't. We held our nerve and won. I thought our loss last week showed we could go toe-to-toe with the best and gave us the confidence we needed last night to come back from a quarter time deficit. So, yes, satisfied with our last two games. If we play finals, no-one's going to be remembering this game or that during the year - if we get there, it's a new season.

I don’t know how anyone could be positive about Josh Bruce’s game.

When you get very few opportunities because you move like a slug, the following things are unacceptable:

Kicking set shots out on the full
Missing teammates by 5m with a simple Handpass that goes straight over the boundary line.
Dropping a simple chest mark 15m out directly in front.

He’s been an absolute lemon and should be dropped

Just read that that was Bonts 2nd ever goal from outside 50. Thought he'd have more.

This has to be set shots only. And the other one had to be vs adelaide round 7 2016, when he kicked the winner

Has to be set shots. These two come to mind as well as one from about 60 v port Early in his career

Good to see the resident miserable campaigners still miserable after a much needed win.

We were well ahead in nearly all the kpi’s and if not for the umps sliding a few digits in and our woeful efficiency fwd of centre, that was a 6+ goal win.
Couldn’t give a * who WC had out or how many days break they had. All clubs have been copping the rough end of the stick at some stage.

There were the obvious execution and skill errors that have cost us in most games this year but it’s hard to not be happy with last nights game. Plenty of room for improvement too which is a a positive.

On the flip side, as a West Coast supported you'd be disappointed that - with a top 4 position on the line and against a supposedly mid-table team - they blew it. Imagine if resting Nic Nat was out of arrogance or disrespect to our Bulldog ruck structure? As a West Coast supporter, you could argue this was the game to play Nic Nat. But they didn't. We held our nerve and won. I thought our loss last week showed we could go toe-to-toe with the best and gave us the confidence we needed last night to come back from a quarter time deficit. So, yes, satisfied with our last two games. If we play finals, no-one's going to be remembering this game or that during the year - if we get there, it's a new season.
Are you suggesting that just because Eagles supporters would be disappointed we should be happy with scraping a win on a night we should have won by 25 plus?

Why did we need a close loss after being up 40 to prove we can play with the best? Don’t you recall us smashing Geelong, Richmond, Brisbane and Port last year, with an inferior team to our current one?

I get people being annoyed with Mattdougie always being negative in 2017-2018 but it’s 2020 now and we haven’t taken a step forward. We’ve gone backwards, even with an increasingly mature and talented list.

If people like you were running the club we would be stuck outside the 8 forever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back