Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

What do you do if you fail a Widowmaker set? I know you shouldn't, but if you don't hit 20 reps, do you do the extra reps in a second set (i.e. set one: 17 reps, set two: 3 reps) or do you do a second set and try and do X number of reps close to failure?

What do you do if you fail a Widowmaker set? I know you shouldn't, but if you don't hit 20 reps, do you do the extra reps in a second set (i.e. set one: 17 reps, set two: 3 reps) or do you do a second set and try and do X number of reps close to failure?

I would go with Option B

You wouldn't start another proper set just to get an extra 3 reps in with a weight you can do for 17 reps.

You can try a rest-pause set where you take a short rest of 30 seconds after your 17 rep set, and then push on till failure.

I hurt my lower back doing Sumo deadlifts. When it got heavy, and the bar speed slowed down, and it felt like it'd never come off the ground I made the unfortunate mistake of yanking and pulling the bar too much, putting my back into a vulnerable position. I suck at getting leg drive. In the long-term at some point, I'll switch to a trap-bar.

I wanted to run a question by the good folk of big footy about what you'd do to replace the conventional/sumo deadlift, and you didn't have a trap bar yet. I've been doing SLDL as an assistance movement, but I could do that as a main movement. I was thinking of doing heavy Bulgarian split squats as a replacement exercise while making sure I'm rowing every workout and targeting the glutes/hamstrings in assistance work to avoid an imbalance from not deadlifting.

I was thinking of doing RDL/SLDL as the main movement, increasing the weight once I can hit 12 decent reps with the weight I'm using. I was also thinking of trying the Jefferson deadlift and I'd love to hear your thoughts on that.

Last edited:
I hurt my lower back doing Sumo deadlifts. When it got heavy, and the bar speed slowed down, and it felt like it'd never come off the ground I made the unfortunate mistake of yanking and pulling the bar too much, putting my back into a vulnerable position. I suck at getting leg drive. In the long-term at some point, I'll switch to a trap-bar.

I wanted to run a question by the good folk of big footy about what you'd do to replace the conventional/sumo deadlift, and you didn't have a trap bar yet. I've been doing SLDL as an assistance movement, but I could do that as a main movement. I was thinking of doing heavy Bulgarian split squats as a replacement exercise while making sure I'm rowing every workout and targeting the glutes/hamstrings in assistance work to avoid an imbalance from not deadlifting.

I was thinking of doing RDL/SLDL as the main movement, increasing the weight once I can hit 12 decent reps with the weight I'm using. I was also thinking of trying the Jefferson deadlift and I'd love to hear your thoughts on that.

Probably do a lot of sldl, single arm db rows (Dan Green rates these as the best dl accessory accessory), rack pulls, shrugs and squats.

Probably do a lot of sldl, single arm db rows (Dan Green rates these as the best dl accessory accessory), rack pulls, shrugs and squats.

Yeah. I might give Jefferson's a try, too. I'm not giving up on conventional, in hindsight I don't think I'm putting my shoulders back or chest out enough, and not putting my knees forward enough. Either that or they come back, and my hips shoot up too fast because I've never had the problem of my knees being in the way when the bar comes up, and that's probably because my form's off.

On an unrelated note, * I love Gran Torino.

Yeah. I might give Jefferson's a try, too. I'm not giving up on conventional, in hindsight I don't think I'm putting my shoulders back or chest out enough, and not putting my knees forward enough. Either that or they come back, and my hips shoot up too fast because I've never had the problem of my knees being in the way when the bar comes up, and that's probably because my form's off.

On an unrelated note, fu** I love Gran Torino.

KB swings can be good for hip form on conventional IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's the latest on gyms in Vic. Had a read around but Gyms aren't even mentioned, which doesn't look promising for late September opening.
There was a off hand question during the presser about gyms and being one of the last things to open to which Dan agreed, then went on explaining about how high risk they were for spreading 😔
No word on indoor pools either

There was a off hand question during the presser about gyms and being one of the last things to open to which Dan agreed, then went on explaining about how high risk they were for spreading 😔
No word on indoor pools either
Was there any transmission linked to gyms in Vic?
Seems ironic that fit healthy people bat Coronavirus away rather easily, and we're keeping people away from places that get people fit and healthy. 🤷

Was there any transmission linked to gyms in Vic?
Seems ironic that fit healthy people bat Coronavirus away rather easily, and we're keeping people away from places that get people fit and healthy. 🤷

Just Andrews looking after himself and if that means ruining more small business, so be it. I’m set up at home but feel for people who are not.

November 23rd. Basically 3 months from now and that's only if the rates are low.

zero cases for 14 days will be very tough, i think, i hope the government are aiming for the stars but will settle for the moon.

I honestly think getting to October 26th with an avg of 5 cases will be extremely tough in that timeframe.

avg of 5 cases will be extremely tough

Discounting communist countries that (literally) welded people's doors shut I think we'd be the first region in the world to go from widespread community transmission to what essentially amounts to no community spread.
Would be a Herculean effort, and one I'm not sure is actually possible.

Just Andrews looking after himself and if that means ruining more small business, so be it. I’m set up at home but feel for people who are not.
I'm set up ok for upper, but not legs. I'm gonna look like an upside down isosceles triangle soon. 😄😄
More worrying is the gym I go to, which is a family business. Not sure how they are positioned.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back