Autopsy Round 16, 2020: St.Kilda v Hawthorn *GEARY 200TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

ok , i never met the guy Lonie
his his stats
24 y 175 cm 70 kg
kicked 65 goals 74 points
He is not a A grader
Must convert better , and stop trying to kick impossible goals.
maybe a move to the wing ( billings roll )

Unfortunately we don't have 22 A graders on our list though.

Agree he did a few selfish things early in the year but no more than most small forwards and his last two games have been very good, especially the Bombers game where he was able to set up a lot of play.

His form over the last two games warrants his selection in the forward line.

Carlise needs to come in and I think we are too outside with Billings being pushed forward.

I'd be looking at Phillips for Bytel or Dunstan

why is carlisle out? thats the real question

Obsession is coming from seeing what he was capable of at U18 level along with the attributes he has.

He got a good side and frame but better than that he has unbelievable awareness. He knows where his team mates are at all times and know where the oppo is moving.

Theyre attributes you want in a tall inside mid.

didn't the saints try him in the midfield last year and ithe was found wanting , which was why he was moved to the back.

didn't the saints try him in the midfield last year and ithe was found wanting , which was why he was moved to the back.
Yes. He was tried in the midfield in the VFL and it was around the same time he seemed to go backwards in his development. I think we'd actually be taking away a lot of his strengths by playing him in the middle.

Clark on the other hand dominated in the midfield of the VFL and seems to have all the tools to make it as a mid if he ever gets the opportunity.

Yes. He was tried in the midfield in the VFL and it was around the same time he seemed to go backwards in his development. I think we'd actually be taking away a lot of his strengths by playing him in the middle.

Clark on the other hand dominated in the midfield of the VFL and seems to have all the tools to make it as a mid if he ever gets the opportunity.
It’s a fair view. Although, I don’t necesarily think it was the reason his development went backward. I watched a lot of those games. There were some games he struggled and some where he was good in fact I think against the pies in the vfl where he had 4 second half clearances. I agree that now is not the time but I do feel he will end up being a bigger Sincs on the ball if he gets the chance or like Elliot yeo.

People keep bringing up Elliot Yeo for Coffield but Yeo is an absolute beast midfielder, the last couple of years he’s averaged 12 and 13 CP a game. As good as he is I’m not sure Coffield has that in him.

People keep bringing up Elliot Yeo for Coffield but Yeo is an absolute beast midfielder, the last couple of years he’s averaged 12 and 13 CP a game. As good as he is I’m not sure Coffield has that in him.
Yeo didn’t make the move into the midfield until his sixth year. I can see the similarities between Coffield and Yeo when he was a half back. That doesn’t necessarily mean Coffield could transition like Yeo did though, that remains to be seen.

That was the lowlight for me. His decision making was Auskick level. Then straight after he let his man lose for an open goal.

I'm not sure it was his man, he was running back because the defence got caught up the ground and he was the only one that got back quickly enough. He had a mare but he doesn't need to get have extra s**t heaped on him. A few times our whole defence was so far up the ground and got exposed out the back, he was just fast enough to run back and get into some kind of position. He looked like a guy who was trying too hard to make himself undroppable. Parker played like that when he got games and so did Lonie at one point.

Yeo didn’t make the move into the midfield until his sixth year. I can see the similarities between Coffield and Yeo when he was a half back. That doesn’t necessarily mean Coffield could transition like Yeo did though, that remains to be seen.
They seem like very different players to me.

Yeo wasn't getting huge numbers at the same age but he still had a good contested to uncontested ratio.

Coff mostly finds uncontested footy and one of his main strengths is clearly in the air.

ok , i never met the guy Lonie
his his stats
24 y 175 cm 70 kg
kicked 65 goals 74 points
He is not a A grader
Must convert better , and stop trying to kick impossible goals.
maybe a move to the wing ( billings roll )

Dan Butlers career stats aren't much better if you want to measure over their whole career.

Also 24 years old.

compared to Lonie:

Kicks one more goal every 3 matches
Gets less disposals per match
Makes 1 more tackle per match
Takes one less mark per match

Lonie isn't good enough to play wing at afl but he has some genuine tricks up forward, you're right about accuracy though… his goal kicking has been the most disappointing feature of his career, I reckon that would possibly be partly due to never feeling safe in the side so taking shots he shouldn't to try and save himself… I think this has reduced over the last year or so and he is looking more team oriented.

The most games he has played straight in a season is 8 and that was 2015. The injury last year was a cruel blow as he looked to be in career best form and brimming with confidence… we won 4 out of our first 5 games when he was firing.

Last edited:
he literally had a five goal better game than Ferguson. Ferguson had four kicked on him, Abbott kicked one.
Expecting Abbott to come into the side a play a blinder is a bit much , its good he was given a chance and no doubt will be better for the run.
You never know he could be needed if we get injuries and that game might just give him some focus when needed again.
By all accounts he is better than what he showed against the Hawks.
Hopefully Ryder and Marshall can cope with the workload without breaking down.

They seem like very different players to me.

Yeo wasn't getting huge numbers at the same age but he still had a good contested to uncontested ratio.

Coff mostly finds uncontested footy and one of his main strengths is clearly in the air.

Coffield looks very Brandan Goddard to me. Controls the air and good in traffic, probably not quite the skill set of a true full time mid but potential to have runs on the ball. In the end he'll be considered too valuable down back to ever move though. Looks on track to be the best of the kids apart from King on 2020 form regardless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dan Butlers career stats aren't much better if you want measure over their whole career.

Also 24 years old.

compared to Lonie:

Kicks one more goal every 3 matches
Gets less disposals per match
Makes 1 more tackle per match
Takes one less mark per match

Lonie isn't good enough to play wing at afl but he has some genuine tricks up forward, you're right about accuracy though… his goal kicking has been the most disappointing feature of his career, I reckon that would possibly be partly due to never feeling safe in the side so taking shots he shouldn't to try and save himself… I think this has reduced over the last year or so and he is looking more team oriented.

The most games he has played straight in a season is 8 and that was 2015. The injury last year was a cruel blow as he looked to be in career best form and brimming with confidence… we won 4 out of our first 5 games when he was firing.

I reckon Lonie was best playing higher up on a HFF last year. He's earned another week and that's all you can ask from any of them right now.

Of course he wont make it, I was just being a smart arse.

Everything you posted is correct. I was happy for the bloke to kick a goal in AFL football, and it was an important goal, but really the guy is not even as good as Rix.
He is most probably a spud , but to expect the guy to come into the side after basically not playing AFL for over 2 years and perform , might be a bit much.
Anyway hopefully he is not needed.

Coffield looks very Brandan Goddard to me. Controls the air and good in traffic, probably not quite the skill set of a true full time mid but potential to have runs on the ball. In the end he'll be considered too valuable down back to ever move though. Looks on track to be the best of the kids apart from King on 2020 form regardless.
Coffield covers the ground well and has great disposal , when thinking about this team we certainly have some talent - when do you have a backline with skilled ball users like Coffield , Long , Paton and Hunter Clark .
Next season King will most probably get a bit more weight on and if he starts to hold his marks , it will free up the other forwards to run amok.

By all accounts Caldwell could already be in heading our way next year and if we secure a Zac Williams or Brad Crouch for the right price we will be a power house going forward.

I reckon Lonie was best playing higher up on a HFF last year. He's earned another week and that's all you can ask from any of them right now.
I agree he looked very good up the ground, the problem is though i think we really need more of a stay at home forward and both Kent and Butler seem to also play their best footy up the ground and running back into space.

Lonie is probably the best option for that role right now

I agree he looked very good up the ground, the problem is though i think we really need more of a stay at home forward and both Kent and Butler seem to also play their best footy up the ground and running back into space.

Lonie is probably the best option for that role right now
Next year having Kent , Butler and Gresham as our small forwards , I doubt Lonie will get much of a look in.
Because if we plan on getting Caldwell and another mid and having Byrne , Bytel as well surely they all can't get a game in the midfield so a few will be run through the forward line making guys like Lonie and Parker expendable.

Bytel , Caldwell , Brad Crouch , Hannebery , Steele , Ross , Hunter Clark , Byrne

You read the adds? I don't even see them as I scroll through.

On SM-T290 using BigFooty.com mobile app
All my ads are in French, much easier to ignore. In fact I didn't even know I had any ads on the BF app, but I just noticed one.

WTF is "manscaping"? Actually, I don't care. Back to the footy s'il vous plaît.

Even in the backline Yeo’s contested numbers were pretty good, and they were never as low as Coffield’s are now. Doesn’t matter because obviously Coffield is going to be a super player but I think he’ll be more Goddard than Yeo.

Coaches Votes

VOTES PLAYER (CLUB)
6 Chad Wingard (HAW)
5 Sebastian Ross (STK)
5 Rowan Marshall (STK)
4 Nick Coffield (STK)
3 Jack Steele (STK)
3 Bradley Hill (STK)
2 Tom Mitchell (HAW)
2 Ben Long (STK)

Coach 1 / Coach 2
Marshall / Ross