VFL Richmond VFL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Really short sighted for afl to allow this to happen , regardless of list sizes it’s part of a pathway to league football . They should be focussed on running this comp on an absolute shoe string for it to weather the storm . Put a limited cap outside of afl to encourage clubs to retain sides limits on supporting personnel, anything , as to have major clubs pulling out is a significant backward step that really could be avoided and talk of going national just seems to be at odds with the reality

Maybe the AFL shouldn’t have been wasting so much money for the past 10+ years and maybe they wouldn’t have had to slash the soft cap spending by so much.

It’s frustrating that the AFL is costing 100’s of jobs across all clubs but haven’t been held to task over any of it.

No one should blame any of the players, the AFL is more responsible than anyone else
Those games in China really seem worth the millions they would of cost aye

What’s the point of having a huge membership if not to pay for luxuries like a VFL side? The fighting tiger fund was established for exactly this. Pay the tax and keep it going I say. I’m sure if asked, many members would tip into the fighting tiger fund again to keep the VFL side going

What’s the point of having a huge membership if not to pay for luxuries like a VFL side? The fighting tiger fund was established for exactly this. Pay the tax and keep it going I say. I’m sure if asked, many members would tip into the fighting tiger fund again to keep the VFL side going
you're missing the point man that there's a SOFT CAP meaning the Budget for off field personnel, COACHES et al must be financed from that for BOTH AFL and VFL . I'm speculating that our chiefs believe we are better devoting the limited resource available to AFL ONLY during this s**t storm and when there are sunny days ahead VFL can resume. but we're in for stormy weather

Man this is depressing, not only do we lose our second team, with the planning on capping crowds in 2021 etc I will have to put up with living in WA and listening to how they should host all AFL games again. :rolleyes:
At least we could go to every Tigers match like our Qld supporters are doing this year ! They're loving it...imagine if we made a gf here !

I certainly hope that most of our off field staff are willing to take temporary pay cuts to minimise job losses and maintain our competitive edge.
If you can tighten up spending and everyone takes a 20-25% cut then you're most of the way there to a 33% reduction
Given that most of these senior staff are on pretty decent six figure salaries, I don't think its unrealistic.

you're missing the point man that there's a SOFT CAP meaning the Budget for off field personnel, COACHES et al must be financed from that for BOTH AFL and VFL . I'm speculating that our chiefs believe we are better devoting the limited resource available to AFL ONLY during this sh*t storm and when there are sunny days ahead VFL can resume. but we're in for stormy weather
I understand. Its a SOFT CAP. You can exceed it and pay a tax of $1 for every $1 dollar spent.

There’s no doubt player development is best served by having our own vfl side. It’s why we did it in the first place and the results have proven it.

The fighting tiger fund was launched to allow the club to exploit competitive advantages that financial strength might allow. This seems to be the exact situation We were told that money was raised for. If it’s not a VFL team because the whole comp is gone then it should be additional coaching above the cap.

Perhaps I’m underestimating just how broke we are.

Last edited:
I understand. Its a SOFT CAP. You can exceed it and pay a tax of $1 for every $1 dollar spent.

There’s no doubt player development is best served by having our own vfl side. It’s why we did it in the first place and the results have proven it.

The fighting tiger fund was launched to allow the club to exploit competitive advantages that financial strength might allow. This seems to be the exact situation We were told that money was raised for. If it’s not a VFL team because the whole comp is gone then it should be additional coaching above the cap.

Perhaps I’m underestimating just how broke we are.
You’re probably underestimating the impact to revenues with membership likely to nosedive without 100% guarantee to attend games , match receipts won’t likely cover costs , no coterie , that calls for financial prudence to weather the storm

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems a no brainer to me on a cost/benefit basis.
If list sizes get cut to say 38 on any given week you could have 8 players on the injury list.
22 plus 1 emergency for the AFL side
Means you’re funding a VFL side for 7 players. 7.
It‘s a tough decision but pretty clear cut from where I sit.

If a big hitter like the Richmond FC can't afford a VFL team how are ANY VFL teams viable? AFL aligned and otherwise. Is this the beginning of the end for the VFL competition?
This is what i find unfair. The industry can rally around AFLW and assure them they will be untouched and the players even get a raise yet a competition that has been the backbone of footy in this state, the VFA/VFL is just thrown on the scrap heap and it’s players given no guarantees or assurances.

There’s a double standard at play that would not be accepted if the treatment was reversed.
I’m all for keeping the AFLW operating. I think the VFL is just as important

Last edited:
If a big hitter like the Richmond FC can't afford a VFL team how are ANY VFL teams viable? AFL aligned and otherwise. Is this the beginning of the end for the VFL competition?
Not being in Victoria I hadn't really been thinking about 2021. As Kiwi has mentioned 2020 and beyond are ground zero. Slate wiped clean for lists/attendance/revenue/salary caps. How on earth player contracts can be maintained I don't know. This would be kinda stressful for players, especially well paid players who may have investments. Clubs and player managers must be discussing this with their players or are they just hearing it on radio or reading about it. Are SS/CJ just hearing about it and decide to go out in a blaze of glory. If lists sizes drop to 30 or 35. Those boys may not have a spot.

Maybe the AFL will have to take huge loans to support clubs for a number of years to keep it afloat.

Hardly worth discussing trades is it?

I think the vfl is dead and we're playing the long game here to force the afl's hand to make a suatainable ressies comp.

With the neafl merger we'd be sending the 2's to sydney (uni, swans, gws) and qld (gc, bears, hornets, sharks) multiple times per year. Eastlakes and Norf have pulled out of this frankenstein comp already so we're making a statement if a big club pulls out.

The 2's will be back, in a realistic comp and against quality opposition.

Its either a dedicated reserves comp where all teams are in or a Melbourne based ressies comp against other afl clubs.

Bring back the vfa for sandringham, williamstown, port melb, werribee etc and the afl can go f*ck themselves

If list sizes get cut to say 38 on any given week you could have 8 players on the injury list.
Your funding development of more than just the 7 to 16 players on your main list.
You are working with players like Jake Aarts who played with our reserves from 2015-2018 before being put on the rookie list.

This is what i find unfair. The industry can rally around AFLW and assure them they will be untouched and the players even get a raise yet a competition that has been the backbone of footy in this state, the VFA/VFL is just thrown on the scrap heap and it’s players given no guarantees or assurances.
There is a double standard at play that would not be accepted if the treatment was reversed.
I’m all for keeping the AFLW operating. I think the VFL is just as important
I agree. No wonder people are turning off footy In droves.
Never thought is start doubting my love for footy. But here I am

The priorities are all skewiff.

Pretty well summed and why they’d conclude throw the entire soft cap at afl program

Your funding development of more than just the 7 to 16 players on your main list.
You are working with players like Jake Aarts who played with our reserves from 2015-2018 before being put on the rookie list.

For sure the Jake Aarts of this world will be tougher to find/develop. But in 2021 we are dealing with a completely new set of accounts, significantly reduced revenue and uncertainty. Costs are coming out throughout the footy club. Lots of people and yes the VFL program. Not good, but necessary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back