Fremantle Under Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

I think this is what people forget now, that opposition defenses dictate the attack more than ever. Yeah, you can take a risk and roll the dice, but opposition defenses will smell fear and crucify you if you're not 100% accurate and confident when coming down the corridor.

Transition is one thing but when you're doubling the opposition in clearances, it should result in more than four goals.

Transition is one thing but when you're doubling the opposition in clearances, it should result in more than four goals.

No Freo supporter is going to disagree with you there. JLo is clearly trying to teach the younger players a system with a bit of of short term pain.

Also, having our tall defenders back would free Luke Ryan to be more attacking as a third tall, Hayden Young is a jet and will help our ball movement as well and I think that we've really missed Walters skills in the midfield as he has been played mainly as a forward.

A bit more skill and decisive decision making and I think we turn that around.

No Freo supporter is going to disagree with you there. JLo is clearly trying to teach the younger players a system with a bit of of short term pain.

Also, having our tall defenders back would free Luke Ryan to be more attacking as a third tall, Hayden Young is a jet and will help our ball movement as well and I think that we've really missed Walters skills in the midfield as he has been played mainly as a forward.

A bit more skill and decisive decision making and I think we turn that around.

You lot know your youth better than I do. It's a bit of a subjective judgement until they're actually doing it. Had half-expected Freo to be in the finals mix this so and have regarded the apparent stagnation as a fail. It's harder to get a true read in a truncated season. Maybe next year!

You lot know your youth better than I do. It's a bit of a subjective judgement until they're actually doing it. Had half-expected Freo to be in the finals mix this so and have regarded the apparent stagnation as a fail. It's harder to get a true read in a truncated season. Maybe next year!

Young was doing it until injured. If you looked at our best field kicks of the year highlights Young would have quite a few from his 5 games.
Watch the first highlight in this video and I reckon this guy would add a few goals to our score by himself:

Most level headed Freo supporters imo would have thought that new coach and game plan, little all of team training to embed the game plan, losing all our key backs and giving a bunch of youth the keys to some key roles would make it pretty tough this year to make finals.

There's a few things to reflect upon and this my two cents worth.

- It's easy to forget we were 0-4 after four very close losses - and all of them away from home. Just observing that as we have had more time for JLo to coach his gameplan we have improved.

- We have been missing four of our starting back six for most of the season, including our three tallest backs. That includes Pearce and Hamling for the whole season who were our back six leaders. We've ultimately had to play a more defensive style just to protect them a bit more.

- For three straight seasons, we were pretty much bottom of the comp for turnovers in our D50 - and it was costing us week after week. I think this is ultimately what did for Ross - we were just so predictably always going to gift 4-5 goals a game and there was no sign in that improving. Couple this with his 'we don't practice skills in training' mantra then we just got sick of it as a fanbase and a club. For me this is the most significant improvement this season. Yes, it's led to very cautious movement out of defence, but we have so much more control of the footy than since 2015 it's almost unrecognisable.

- We have, for most of the last 6-7 rounds, stuck fat on playing the kids through the middle. Anyone want to make a case that that is bad for us in the long run...anyone?

- It's easy to make the case for JLo being a defensive minded coach because he was the backs coach at the Pies (credited with significantly improving their defence); but before that he was the forwards coach at West Coast - and he turned a decent front line into one of the best; a forward line based upon good leading patterns and hitting the forward on the tit. Give him a chance and judge our offensive performance in another 12 months once he's had a pre-season to focus on forward line connection.

- And finally, for gods sake - it's Longmuir, not Longmire - there's even a Swans fan in this thread calling him Longmire!!

Last edited:
I was expecting the same then the entire back line =3 potential aa= fell.
Plus darcy, young & Sturt going down for the season all firm starters.

Hogan's also failed to get anything going.

Going to preface by saying I’ve seen maybe 3-4 games in total, but has anything changed from last year under Ross Lyon?

Still seem ultra-defensive, can’t create play through the middle of the ground and seem to be treading water through another season.

Granted they have gone through a minor rebuild I thought they’d be far advanced than what they’re showing.

Thoughts?

thoughts?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine being this bad at judging a sport your that passionate about you post on forums
Freo won 9 games last year. They were decent.

This year had been positive considering they have had to do it without Pearce Hamling and Logue.

Not sure why you feel the need to be an arsehole about that.

All that has changed is the commentators have been more upbeat.

Plenty of changes. Skill level, corridor play, short kickstyle etc etc.
link up with forwards will be better next season after training as 1 squad after covid & KPB back will make life a lot easier
Has improved sure but lets not carried away.
Lyon was already making some changes last year.

Its not a metamorphosis.

% was 91 last season. So uve gone a touch backwards.

And rd 8.

Last edited:
Are scorned Freo supporters going to bump this thread every time they win a game against a rubbish team?

Still only kicked 6 goals for the whole game, and could’ve easily lost if not for Melbourne’s ineptness.

It’s the same story as most weeks - young guns everywhere, huge potential, but a seriously bleak game style that’s going to need a serious revamp in the off-season if they’re going to be pushing for finals in 2021.

Has improved sure but lets not carried away.
Lyon was already making some changes last year.

Its not a metamorphosis.

% was 91 last season. So uve gone a touch backwRds.

improved, so Freo has made changes haha.

What do you expect in 1 season?
I’m not getting carried away at all, that wasn’t ever the argument.
Freo has made changes and it’s evident

Are scorned Freo supporters going to bump this thread every time they win a game against a rubbish team?

Still only kicked 6 goals for the whole game, and could’ve easily lost if not for Melbourne’s ineptness.

It’s the same story as most weeks - young guns everywhere, huge potential, but a seriously bleak game style that’s going to need a serious revamp in the off-season if they’re going to be pushing for finals in 2021.

make a crap thread, deal with the bumps

Are you going to watch a game or just look at results and make outlandish claims to feel validated?

Imagine making this thread and then whinging when it gets responded to with the respect it deserves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back