Welcome Welcome to the Hawks Jack Scrimshaw

It still makes me laugh just how much he's like Birchall. The way he runs. That laconic look to his game. And obviously the position he plays.
Wasn't he a massive Birchall fan growing up?

That's a pretty bloody big commitment to an idol - running with the same hunch!

Our next threepeat half back line? :think:

HB: Scrimshaw Sicily Day
Alex Rance a bit stiff, unless you're playing him at Full Back & moving Finlayson forward.

No idea where you'll play Big Boy - obviously not Ruck, that would be stupid!

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Marks like Lake and kicks like Birchall. A real weopon Hawks have in the D50.
I don't think he has the same hardness or aggression as Birchall who was a real battering ram at times. But he is better overhead. He's definitely one of the few building blocks we have (many of which are on the half back line). I do wonder whether he could push further afield when Sicily is back, even just for stints on ball or on the wing. We occasionally experimented with Birchall in those roles but he was never able to make the transition. Either way, Scrimshaw should play 200+ good games for the club.

GerryLewis

All Australian
Nov 10, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
I don't think he has the same hardness or aggression as Birchall who was a real battering ram at times. But he is better overhead. He's definitely one of the few building blocks we have (many of which are on the half back line). I do wonder whether he could push further afield when Sicily is back, even just for stints on ball or on the wing. We occasionally experimented with Birchall in those roles but he was never able to make the transition. Either way, Scrimshaw should play 200+ good games for the club.
One of Birchalls most underrated traits was his hardness and mongrel. Genuinely liked hurting blokes. Pretty handy on the yap too...

One of Birchalls most underrated traits was his hardness and mongrel. Genuinely liked hurting blokes. Pretty handy on the yap too...
A bit like Burgoyne, when you had the chance to see Birch close up, you realised he is built like a brick shithouses and knows how to use it...

Hens Hall

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
A bit like Burgoyne, when you had the chance to see Birch close up, you realised he is built like a brick shithouses and knows how to use it...
I remember early on in the 08 GF Birch running through Joel Corey when they contested a ground ball.

Got him a little high from memory and gave a way the free kick but put him on his arse and helped set the tone for the day.

Birch chipped a tooth too.

Set the tone.
I thought that was Gillham thatlost teeth

Still the time Birch almost killed Judd going for a ground ball was a highlight

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn

28 second mark.... BANG!

Birch was one of my favourite players when he was on. When listed with Lake, Hodge, Lewis, Mitchell, Cyril & Rough, we had players all over the ground that could/would run through you or cut you in half with a tackle.
mid love for scrimshaw to add an element of this to his game next season.
white line fever is a brilliant element of team sport. It doesn’t have to be nasty, just tough. So good to watch.

Back