Fox Footy 2020

Jan 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, PAOK
I enjoyed Kath Loughnan hosting First Crack instead of Tom Morris. The show is probably the purest show in terms of discussing on-field and analysing teams/game styles.

I feel Tom doesn't fit in really to that style, he's a news breaker that tries to be controversial and we have enough of those shows (basically every other on the air) Kath as a pure host is much better, or they need someone who is more of an analyst than a Journo and can host. Dunstall and Garry Lyon come to mind, although Garry has become a bit of a headline chaser with his comments but he is capable of analysing the game.

Looking forward to watching the next few weeks with Kath hosting, hopefully they stick to their format and keep the discussion purely on-field it's a breath of fresh air.

Mentallo

Premiership Player
Apr 23, 2005
Your minds eye.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
How's it different to Brayshaw doing North games? Or Lyon doing Melbourne games? Or Dunstall doing Hawthorn games? Darcy doing Bulldogs games?

Or on radio, Brownless doing Geelong games, Maclure doing Blues games or Cornes doing Port games?

Seems odd that you want to criticise an imagined cheerleader while ignoring actual cheerleaders.

None whatsoever.
This is not anti Eagles I hate them as much as the other 16 teams in the comp.
It just grinds on me and he seems to do special comments on all Eagles games and a vast majority of Eagles games are on Fox.
It's not a new thing he has been doing it for years, I am pretty confident he has a picture of NicNat on the inside of his toilet door at home as well.

I can only speak for the first 3 you mentioned above but I think they over compensate the other way and can be over critical of their team / old team, ask any Nth supporter what they think of Brayshaw calling Nth games.

The flipside is Russell calling Port games, it's just dreadful but that is par for the course when he calls any game just more so when it is his beloved Port Adelaide.

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
I enjoyed Kath Loughnan hosting First Crack instead of Tom Morris. The show is probably the purest show in terms of discussing on-field and analysing teams/game styles.

I feel Tom doesn't fit in really to that style, he's a news breaker that tries to be controversial and we have enough of those shows (basically every other on the air) Kath as a pure host is much better, or they need someone who is more of an analyst than a Journo and can host. Dunstall and Garry Lyon come to mind, although Garry has become a bit of a headline chaser with his comments but he is capable of analysing the game.

Looking forward to watching the next few weeks with Kath hosting, hopefully they stick to their format and keep the discussion purely on-field it's a breath of fresh air.

Concur and I wouldn't mind a 'first crack' at Kath, however I'm unreliably informed she prefers same gender company, so that's mine and I imagine a lot of others slim fantasy pursuits gone...

Last edited:

enzso

Senior List
Mar 6, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Couldn't agree more. I pretty much have the TV locked on to Fox Footy all weekend, but turn it over when Bounce comes on. It's just not the right spot for it. Just do a Sunday Stretch as a lead in to First Crack.

Interesting to note Bounce was Foxtel's highest-rating show last night, after live sport.

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2010
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United
Interesting to note Bounce was Foxtel's highest-rating show last night, after live sport.
Really? There you go.

I just don't get it, and I really like Dunstall and Gaze. Just has a weird vibe to it coming on at that time. Seems like it would be more suited to mid-week. When Bounce comes on it feels like the footy coverage has prematurely ended.

Aug 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Kelli Underwood commentating the Richmond v Fremantle game tonight. I thought she was shocking on Ten but I don't mind her hosting duties on the pre-game. Be interesting to see if she is any better than all those years ago when Ten tried to be different and threw her in at the deep end.
Love her, or not, at least she’s not Dwayne.
How's it different to Brayshaw doing North games? Or Lyon doing Melbourne games? Or Dunstall doing Hawthorn games? Darcy doing Bulldogs games?

Or on radio, Brownless doing Geelong games, Maclure doing Blues games or Cornes doing Port games?

Seems odd that you want to criticise an imagined cheerleader while ignoring actual cheerleaders.
Depends if you think those guys are biased. Gerard has no allegiance to West Coast so it’s a different comparison.
Pretty slim pickings on Foxtel at the moment. Worse than usual

Sep 11, 2006
MCG
AFL Club
Collingwood
Kelli Underwood commentating the Richmond v Fremantle game tonight. I thought she was shocking on Ten but I don't mind her hosting duties on the pre-game. Be interesting to see if she is any better than all those years ago when Ten tried to be different and threw her in at the deep end.

Kelli is great as a host but she's just not suited to commentary. And that's ok! People trying to desperately pump her commentary up because she's a female aren't doing her any favours.

Yes there are shizenhausen male commentators as well.

Sep 11, 2006
MCG
AFL Club
Collingwood
Couldn't agree more. I pretty much have the TV locked on to Fox Footy all weekend, but turn it over when Bounce comes on. It's just not the right spot for it. Just do a Sunday Stretch as a lead in to First Crack.

First Crack should be on straight after the final game. Bounce can follow that. Much better flow in to the week from there.

nick1408

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2010
Why?
AFL Club
Richmond
Kelli is great as a host but she's just not suited to commentary. And that's ok! People trying to desperately pump her commentary up because she's a female aren't doing her any favours.

Yes there are shizenhausen male commentators as well.

I dunno. I don't mind her. She was crap when on Ten but is a lot better since then.

I know the bar isn't set high by Seven but I'd much rather listen to her and the mistakes she makes than Macavaney and Taylor and the mistakes they make

Schnitzengruben

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 4, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Sorry to but in but has anyone else noticed the somewhat subtle cognitive decline in Gerard Healy on On The Couch? It has been creeping up these last few years but this year has been especially bad. Sounding more and more like Joe Biden every day in terms of slipped words and slurred speech. He's only 59, too. Maybe all those head knocks catching up with him?

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Sorry to but in but has anyone else noticed the somewhat subtle cognitive decline in Gerard Healy on On The Couch? It has been creeping up these last few years but this year has been especially bad. Sounding more and more like Joe Biden every day in terms of slipped words and slurred speech. He's only 59, too. Maybe all those head knocks catching up with him?
I haven't noticed anything on radio, but he did say once that one of his concussions was so bad that he lost most of his hand-eye coordination for 3 weeks. He reckons he could barely catch the ball

Schnitzengruben

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 4, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
I haven't noticed anything on radio, but he did say once that one of his concussions was so bad that he lost most of his hand-eye coordination for 3 weeks. He reckons he could barely catch the ball
Christ. Well I reckon it's catching up with him. I'm at the first ad break and reckon he's already had about 10 slip ups.

Been watching for many years and really last year and this year it was become increasingly noticeable.

Sep 11, 2006
MCG
AFL Club
Collingwood

Gold campaigner Suns.

wagstaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2001
The Sea of Holes
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars, Arsenal
Perhaps it's also a case of him being in the media too long that he's become stale and just going through the motions. He's been doing it since 1991 and not many have been in such a role for as long.

Similar thing happened with Leigh Matthews; been going through the motions for years now which is prob the main reason ch 7 dropped him off their Fri night coverage.

Schnitzengruben

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 4, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Perhaps it's also a case of him being in the media too long that he's become stale and just going through the motions. He's been doing it since 1991 and not many have been in such a role for as long.

Similar thing happened with Leigh Matthews; been going through the motions for years now which is prob the main reason ch 7 dropped him off their Fri night coverage.
Nah this is something entirely different. Maybe Stage 1 or 2 CTE. He will constantly mispronounce words, get tongue tied or just make random errors that nobody else does. I don't think it's being in a media too long, it's like a serious issue.

As I said, I watch him speak and I can't tell if he's Gerard Healy or Joe Biden.

enzso

Senior List
Mar 6, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Was a year since Spud passed, so I think that might explain more viewers. I totally forgot Gerard was on the original Bounce haha.
#1 the last 2 Sundays too - after live sport again of course. Seems to get around 85-100k. A live game gets 160-220k not including streaming.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Hate. Hate. Hate the corny narrated bullshit that Fox Footy runs out to 'preview' games/rounds this year. Usually narrated by Brereton or Brown, they seem to go on forever, get repeated regularly and they contribute absolutely nothing to the build up. Instead, they are cringeworthy timewasters which force two legends of the game to spout utter nonsense which is intended to inspire the soul for the contest ahead, but instead inspires a search for the remote control. Total clap trap.

HATE IT!

Sep 4, 2020
Tampa, FL, USA
AFL Club
GWS
Hate. Hate. Hate the corny narrated bullshit that Fox Footy runs out to 'preview' games/rounds this year. Usually narrated by Brereton or Brown, they seem to go on forever, get repeated regularly and they contribute absolutely nothing to the build up. Instead, they are cringeworthy timewasters which force two legends of the game to spout utter nonsense which is intended to inspire the soul for the contest ahead, but instead inspires a search for the remote control. Total clap trap.

HATE IT!
Seems to be a common thing that Fox Sports does, because when I first saw it on AFL broadcasts, I was like, "Huh, just like on NFL and MLB broadcasts?"

I agree with you that it's cringeworthy, though.

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
Seems to be a common thing that Fox Sports does, because when I first saw it on AFL broadcasts, I was like, "Huh, just like on NFL and MLB broadcasts?"

I agree with you that it's cringeworthy, though.

Aus Fox Sports (and other) producers are slowly introducing the US model of sports broadcasting where pre and post game studio analysis/presentations allows them to commercialize the hell out of any match. You'll note cricket broadcasts are heading the same way, e.g. the 'cricket-360' show after ever test last year.

I was shocked when I lived in the US many years ago to discover (and this is on the extreme end) that the yanks sit in front of a TV to watch an NFL game which is a three hour broadcast, to view only around 8 minutes of actual live play...!
Related, I followed the NY Jets and without consultation stupidly subscribed to the official NFL channel/App, thinking I could watch live games, only to soon discover it was all studio pre and past match analysis with some replays of highlights as they (the actual NFL) didn't have/had sold the broadcast rights for live play to NBC/Fox/CBS etc....

I'm almost done with 360, and I used to watch every single episode religiously. I want to hear a discussion, not endless boring forgettable interviews. I started watching last night but for some reason they practically opened with an interview and I couldn't be bothered with the rest of the show.

Back