Toast Welcome to Freo Caleb Serong– Fremantle’s 2nd 2019 National Draft Pick [Pick #8]

muzzington

Angry Anderson Batmobile Extravaganza
Jun 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
EhT292-VkAA1bnu

"Serong, you son of a bitch!"

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
I love how Serong is such an emotional footy player. Loves a win and is always bouncing around with a huge smile and calls out honourable losses as not good enough.

Surely we can find him a nice young Perth girlfriend who has strong family ties here.

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Has Robertson got a look in at all over at Brisbane?
Worth noting there is a huge difference between being drafted to a contender vs a pretender when it comes to how easy it is for a midfielder draftee especially to get early games.
For example, we still haven’t seen Riley Collier Dawkins for the tigers after nearly 2 years. There is still big hype on him, he’d probably have 30 games under his belt by now if he was at us or north or Sydney etc. Geelong drafted Cooper Stephens at pick 16 last year but he ain’t getting a look in at that midfield. Eagles are the same - no kids under 20 years old.
In fact, there’s an argument that of all the true contenders this year (port, Geelong, tigers, eagles and Brisbane) the only player in those five sides taken as an 18yo in the last 2 drafts, that is now a critical piece of their team, is Zak Butters. Rozee and Durssma have stagnated a bit this year and are in the bottom 6 players in Ports best 22 at present.
When the chocolates are handed out at the end of the season it’s the players drafted between 2006/2007 up to about 2014 that are most likely to be starring on grand final day.
We may have to wait till the middle of this decade to really capitalise on this young list.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I am still pretty confident that Robertson plays a lot of AFL.

Has Robertson got a look in at all over at Brisbane?
Worth noting there is a huge difference between being drafted to a contender vs a pretender when it comes to how easy it is for a midfielder draftee especially to get early games.
For example, we still haven’t seen Riley Collier Dawkins for the tigers after nearly 2 years. There is still big hype on him, he’d probably have 30 games under his belt by now if he was at us or north or Sydney etc. Geelong drafted Cooper Stephens at pick 16 last year but he ain’t getting a look in at that midfield. Eagles are the same - no kids under 20 years old.
In fact, there’s an argument that of all the true contenders this year (port, Geelong, tigers, eagles and Brisbane) the only player in those five sides taken as an 18yo in the last 2 drafts, that is now a critical piece of their team, is Zak Butters. Rozee and Durssma have stagnated a bit this year and are in the bottom 6 players in Ports best 22 at present.
When the chocolates are handed out at the end of the season it’s the players drafted between 2006/2007 up to about 2014 that are most likely to be starring on grand final day.
We may have to wait till the middle of this decade to really capitalise on this young list.
This is true, but I think both Rowell and Serong get games anywhere. Both are at a minimum B grade midfielders already.

Paracleet

Emotion is not going to get the job done..
Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ooooohhh, I like the Diesel comparison!
Serong is a fair bit quicker (although in fairness just about any randomly selected person was quicker than Williams) but there are similarities. Great ground ball winners, strong by hand, hard and uncompromising players, skilled by foot.

Caleb is fair bit more cheerfull however and hopefully proves not to be a racist sniping thug.

Last edited:

jusjoshin

Club Legend
Oct 22, 2008
Gosnells
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers, East Side Hawks
We are building a strong midfield. A bit more outside class would be a prerequisite this off season

I like the thought of Henry on the outside, as well as Cerra playing an inside/outside role. Another silky winger with a turn of pace would be brilliant, but I am quite OK with us taking the best available.

But to return the thread to it's stated topic, jeesh that Serong bloke goes alright. Looks like he has a hundred games under his belt already.

Back