• Nathan O'Driscoll

Votes: 14 10.1%
  • Zane Trew

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Other

Votes: 13 9.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I rate him based on the few times I've watched him. I didn't get a chance to watch him on Saturday and not sure he had the greatest game so would have been good to see how he handled it.

I really like some of the non-WA prospects as well though. Bruhn for instance has been high on my list since I first watched him play. Like Phillips for us as well. I keep going hot and then cold on O'Driscoll.
Bruhn is the Vic mid I would like to have seen play this year.

And yet recruiters do it every year.

The problem with your argument is you have no idea who the club recruiters rate as the better player. You’re judging it based on some BF nuffies’ consensus and acting like it’s universally accepted knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I rate him based on the few times I've watched him. I didn't get a chance to watch him on Saturday and not sure he had the greatest game so would have been good to see how he handled it.

I really like some of the non-WA prospects as well though. Bruhn for instance has been high on my list since I first watched him play. Like Phillips for us as well. I keep going hot and then cold on O'Driscoll.

Have you seen Perkins?

Edit, just saw your following post. I’m the same as you on O’d but like the sound of Carroll, Perkins, Bruhn.

Must admit my gut feel is Phillips is going to be sensational. He hits everything at speed, he's incredibly clean and his hands are lightning. Not the greatest kick but one of the best youngsters I've seen at getting the ball from the inside to the outside.

Must admit my gut feel is Phillips is going to be sensational. He hits everything at speed, he's incredibly clean and his hands are lightning. Not the greatest kick but one of the best youngsters I've seen at getting the ball from the inside to the outside.
He's good on the spread too yeah?

I don't think he'll be around where our pick is going to fall.

Yeah looks great on the spread imo. Who knows what's going to happen with the draft? So little exposed form of the Vic kids (and none recently) - not impossible things could move around more than normal.

Yeah he’s definitely got a lot going for him, just he projects similar to what we already have , especially regards to serong (with a bit more speed)
It’s why odriscoll does appeal so much because he’s a notable point of difference to all our current mids

anyway as Joao said doubt he’s available at our pick regardless

I think at the moment with the points deficit we fall from Pick 6 to Pick 9. I think the only clubs before us who could take him before hand are Hawks and Carlton. Gold Coast already have enough young top end midfielders (and another with Alex Davies coming in), Hawks might want a tall to begin their rebuild around, and Carlton I honestly have no idea. Essendon won't take him because they need big bodied mids, and at 180cm, Phillips isn't what they need.

Good chance he falls to us, but we've still got a combine/potential Vic Metro vs Vic Country match to get through, but if the draft happened today I would definitely think he's in the mix at our pick.

Yeah he’s definitely got a lot going for him, just he projects similar to what we already have , especially regards to serong.
It’s why odriscoll does appeal so much because he’s a notable point of difference to all our current mids

anyway as Joao said doubt he’s available at our pick regardless
You know what they say about two Serongs?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we can nail this first pick this year it will be huge. We are so close to a potential premiership winning list through some outstanding drafting over the last 4 years. Looking like it will be pick 10 or 11 on the night after academy bids and the deficit. We should be brave IMO with this pick and go for a high reward type that may be a bit more risky. I’m fascinated to see who we add to the list. Seems certain that DGB and Logan Mc will both be well gone.

I think at the moment with the points deficit we fall from Pick 6 to Pick 9. I think the only clubs before us who could take him before hand are Hawks and Carlton. Gold Coast already have enough young top end midfielders (and another with Alex Davies coming in), Hawks might want a tall to begin their rebuild around, and Carlton I honestly have no idea. Essendon won't take him because they need big bodied mids, and at 180cm, Phillips isn't what they need.

Good chance he falls to us, but we've still got a combine/potential Vic Metro vs Vic Country match to get through, but if the draft happened today I would definitely think he's in the mix at our pick.
If he’s still there at Carlton’s pick , he ain’t going any further .

Is the 2021 draft a stacked draft?
At some point I think this list will jump from 14th or 13th up to 5th or 6th in one season. It could well be next season. That would be the season to trade away a future first rounder for an extra high pick while teams still think we are crap.
The only thing against that strategy is the compromised nature of the 2020 draft and the rumours of a superdraft in 2021.
On balance, probably better keeping next years first rounder. Thoughts?

Is the 2021 draft a stacked draft?
At some point I think this list will jump from 14th or 13th up to 5th or 6th in one season. It could well be next season. That would be the season to trade away a future first rounder for an extra high pick while teams still think we are crap.
The only thing against that strategy is the compromised nature of the 2020 draft and the rumours of a superdraft in 2021.
On balance, probably better keeping next years first rounder. Thoughts?
You're basically better against our S&C department there and that is risky as ****.

The problem with your argument is you have no idea who the club recruiters rate as the better player. You’re judging it based on some BF nuffies’ consensus and acting like it’s universally accepted knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's the problem with both sides of the argument.

Club's routinely trot out comments like "best available " and that they couldn't believe x was still available. My point is supported by those comments. There is no fixed list of best available. Club's and recruiters have different perspectives and criteria. But I have trouble recalling a club stocked with rucks taking a ruck just because they are best available (Grundy). It is also clear that KPFs are valued higher than KPDs, and we will see that in the upcoming draft despite many high draft KPFs failing (Polak, Watts).

Clubs are trying to win premierships and Longmuir has identified some areas of our list that need improvement, specifically speed. A Valente style midfielder may be best available for our pick. Highly unlikely we take him. Highly likely the club will say that they took the best available.

Last edited:
But I have trouble recalling a club stocked with rucks taking a ruck just because they are best available (Grundy).
case in point with Grundy, iirc we apparently had him ranked higher than Simpson, but decided we didn't need a ruck and needed the pace of Simpson

"By draft day it was clear Grundy was slipping down the order. The Dockers liked Grundy, but with Aaron Sandilands in his prime, decided only hours before the draft that they wouldn't pick a ruckman." (https://www.afl.com.au/news/65585/broadcast-guide-premiership). i feel i've seen Duffield write the above before but i can't see it on google

case in point with Grundy, iirc we apparently had him ranked higher than Simpson, but decided we didn't need a ruck and needed the pace of Simpson

"By draft day it was clear Grundy was slipping down the order. The Dockers liked Grundy, but with Aaron Sandilands in his prime, decided only hours before the draft that they wouldn't pick a ruckman." (https://www.afl.com.au/news/65585/broadcast-guide-premiership). i feel i've seen Duffield write the above before but i can't see it on google
It looks bad and clearly for the last 7 years or whatever it would be the wrong decision but I am glad we aren't paying a ruck $1m a year into this 30s. As good as he is just doesn't consistently influence the game enough.

It looks bad and clearly for the last 7 years or whatever it would be the wrong decision but I am glad we aren't paying a ruck $1m a year into this 30s. As good as he is just doesn't consistently influence the game enough.

Was still a much better pick than Simpson though so again it's yet another example of not taking the best available being the wrong decision.

Back