Preview OFFICIAL PREVIEW: Brisbane Lions v Gold Coast Suns - Wednesday September 9th

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I was having a think about it and I reckon this is a game we could certainly look to leave Archie out in preference of a second forward and try a one ruck approach. Witts is a gun ruck but he's a cut below the absolute best (gawn, for instance)in dropping the ball to the best advantage of his mids. Youd think Oscar will probably come off slightly second best to him, but if our mids are switched on it should still be enough to win the clearance battle.

Chucking in another forward who is a legitimate scoring threat would also put more pressure on what is still a pretty inexperienced backline for the suns. Would be happy to see Skinner get another shot replacing Fullerton, or bringing in linc for Fullerton rather than a small and just going a much shorter forward line with Charlie, linc, ah chee and keidean.

Also keen to see how dan, the preferred whipping boy for a few around here, goes in comparison to day down the other end. I think they play a pretty similar second tall, role playing role to each other so I think it could be a good chance to see how Dan stacks up to an equivalent player doing a similar job!

I was having a think about it and I reckon this is a game we could certainly look to leave Archie out in preference of a second forward and try a one ruck approach. Witts is a gun ruck but he's a cut below the absolute best (gawn, for instance)in dropping the ball to the best advantage of his mids. Youd think Oscar will probably come off slightly second best to him, but if our mids are switched on it should still be enough to win the clearance battle.

Chucking in another forward who is a legitimate scoring threat would also put more pressure on what is still a pretty inexperienced backline for the suns. Would be happy to see Skinner get another shot replacing Fullerton, or bringing in linc for Fullerton rather than a small and just going a much shorter forward line with Charlie, linc, ah chee and keidean.

Also keen to see how dan, the preferred whipping boy for a few around here, goes in comparison to day down the other end. I think they play a pretty similar second tall, role playing role to each other so I think it could be a good chance to see how Dan stacks up to an equivalent player doing a similar job!

I actually couldn’t disagree more re the comments about Witts. Witts isn’t Gawn around the ground but he’s in better form than Grundy and had the better of Goldstein last time the suns played. He’s easily a top 5 ruck imo.

I do wonder how much coming up against quality ruck divisions the last 3 games has impacted our scoring - big O has played well but at times in each game I feel the opposition rucks have got on top. I think he needs a chop out for this one and then we finally get a couple of easier rucks to face the last 2 rounds.

I actually couldn’t disagree more re the comments about Witts. Witts isn’t Gawn around the ground but he’s in better form than Grundy and had the better of Goldstein last time the suns played. He’s easily a top 5 ruck imo.

I do wonder how much coming up against quality ruck divisions the last 3 games has impacted our scoring - big O has played well but at times in each game I feel the opposition rucks have got on top. I think he needs a chop out for this one and then we finally get a couple of easier rucks to face the last 2 rounds.

Oh I definitely agree about him being a top 5 ruck, this is exclusively about where he drops the ball to for his mids. Maybe its just my perception or chemistry given all the changes they've made since last year but I've noticed his preference is to generally drop it into neutral open space rather than where his mids are running through, though that has started to change as greenwood has found form and they've got more time together.

With that said he's rarely beaten in the rucking contest and he's better around the ground than he's generally given credit for but i don't think playing a second tier ruck like Archie would go any way to neutralising those advantages so I reckon it'd be better to try and generate some of our own up forward

As far as rucks are concerned I think the actual ruck work re throw ins and ball ups is overrated. Hit outs is one of the most useless stats going around, hit outs to a clear advantage is what you want and there are few around who can do that at a consistent high level, Nic Nat being the best by a fair margin IMO.

A good ruck for me is one who can at least create a contest in the ruck(nullify hit outs to advantage) and can mark around the ground and be a presence up forward, if you can't contribute around the ground you need to be Gawn, Nic Nat level in the ruck.

Will be disappointing if Coleman is the one to make way for McCarthy.
His debut was as encouraging as any I've seen, cool and composed at the senior level. Light frame but tackled strongly.

Only reason why is to ensure he isn't playing 2 full games in 6 days, that's the only reason I can think of.

Will be disappointing if Coleman is the one to make way for McCarthy.
His debut was as encouraging as any I've seen, cool and composed at the senior level. Light frame but tackled strongly.

Only reason why is to ensure he isn't playing 2 full games in 6 days, that's the only reason I can think of.
It is hard to know who makes way for McCarthy? AhChee? Coleman?

Its likely between them unless we take the unlikely step of changing the formation and just having Fullerton as an out.

People likely have opinions about Ah Chee specifically but I think both would be a little unlucky to be dropped

Ah Chee seemed to play more on the wing against Collingwood with Robbo spending some time forward. So Robbo could be in trouble given he isn't winning much of the footy.

Ah Chee seemed to play more on the wing against Collingwood with Robbo spending some time forward. So Robbo could be in trouble given he isn't winning much of the footy.
I thought Zorko looked quite proppy on his achilles on a couple of occasions as well.
Maybe Linc could come in for him to give him more recovery time.
I don’t think we use Linc in the middle enough?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As far as rucks are concerned I think the actual ruck work re throw ins and ball ups is overrated. Hit outs is one of the most useless stats going around, hit outs to a clear advantage is what you want and there are few around who can do that at a consistent high level, Nic Nat being the best by a fair margin IMO.

A good ruck for me is one who can at least create a contest in the ruck(nullify hit outs to advantage) and can mark around the ground and be a presence up forward, if you can't contribute around the ground you need to be Gawn, Nic Nat level in the ruck.
I kind of agree, ruckwork seems to be an exercise in negativity.......if you've nullified the other guy you've done ok. First hand on the ball doesn't seem to be a huge advantage if you've got Lyons and Neale. The thing that is an absolute plus for a ruckman is the loose ball at the feet of both ruckmen and big o just picks it up and bombs it to 40 meters out. We seem to kick plenty of goals from that scenario. Usually it's a chestmark to Lincoln or Charlie or mcstay. The other area where big o is unbelievable is in releasing Lyons and Neale to run forward. His decision making and handball offloads are better than most dedicated extractors. For me he's one of if not the most impactful rucks in the league.

My money is on Robinson, freeing up McCarthy in a wing role
Robbo had an interview the other night where he explained his role this year has changed and isn't so much about getting possessions but more about his defensive running game and said the coaches are happy with how he's playing so I would be surprised if he went out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back