Club Focus Fremantle 2020 - Chapman, O'Driscoll, Walker, Western

AFL Club Focus

What do Freo need most from the 2020 off-season?

• Recruiting via the draft

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Recruiting via trade

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Re-signing existing talent

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Managing the salary cap

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing the age profile

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
He is contracted for another season and probably won’t be going anywhere, but what do Fremantle fans think of Hugh Dixon’s trade value? If Hawthorn offered a 2020 3rd round pick for example would the Dockers do that trade?

Can't see much upside in trading him out this year if we've got room to keep him, he has basically no value and yet Fremantle's forward structure is so unsettled at the moment with;

Hogan, Taberner, McCarthy, Cox

All four (for differeing reasons) could be a part of the forward structure or just about done in AFL so Dixon could still become a required player at Fremantle and if not he hopefully gets 5-10 games next year and builds at least a small amount of trade value.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
He is contracted for another season and probably won’t be going anywhere, but what do Fremantle fans think of Hugh Dixon’s trade value? If Hawthorn offered a 2020 3rd round pick for example would the Dockers do that trade?
A 2020 3rd round pick has virtually zero appeal. He wouldn't even be needed to be rated highly for that kind of trade to be rejected.

A 2020 3rd round pick has virtually zero appeal. He wouldn't even be needed to be rated highly for that kind of trade to be rejected.

What do you think is his market value right now? He won’t be pushing Hogan, Lobb, Cox, Taberner and McCarthy out of the team and may struggle for opportunities next year.

Bit unusual to be delisting before seasons' end, but it is an unusual year.

I think it's great. Why waste money paying for players to stay in the hub that won't play and wouldn't be on the list next year?

Courteous to the players too so that they can begin to make plans for their next career move.

Last edited:
I think it's great. Why waste money paying for players to stay in the hub that won't play and wouldn't be on the list next year.

Courteous to the players too so that they can begin to make plans for their next career move.

In the case of Cam McCarthy, he actually approached the club and asked the question because he didn't want to go to the hub for 5 weeks if he didn't have a future at the club.

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
A Melbourne player will ask for a trade to Freo. Very good info.

Manager wants it done. Has been on it for 12-18 months. Big Payday for him. We're looking at 2m over 4 years.

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
In the case of Cam McCarthy, he actually approached the club and asked the question because he didn't want to go to the hub for 5 weeks if he didn't have a future at the club.
Has stated his desire to join Collingwood instead

Has stated his desire to join Collingwood instead

Did you actually listen to the interview?

He has said if he got back into the system his preference would be for Collingwood but wished he could play his career at Fremantle. He also made it pretty clear he knows his 2021 is going to be at South Fremantle and will need to have a good year to earn a spot on a list.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle

Manager wants it done. Has been on it for 12-18 months. Big Payday for him. We're looking at 2m over 4 years.
Who? Not that many WA boys and only a handful of the assumed "untouchable" players that would be worth 500k.

I hope it's Petracca...

Wait, is it Gus? It's gotta be Gus but 500 seems low for him despite indifferent form.

Who? Not that many WA boys and only a handful of the assumed "untouchable" players that would be worth 500k.

I hope it's Petracca...

Wait, is it Gus? It's gotta be Gus but 500 seems low for him despite indifferent form.

Gus is really the only option i think and for the life of me i still can't quite get why we would chase him hard, i'm not sure he compliments what we currently have.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Gus is really the only option i think and for the life of me i still can't quite get why we would chase him hard, i'm not sure he compliments what we currently have.
I like Gus but I agree it doesn't seem to be a need. Unless both Fyfe and Sonny are spending a lot more time forward next year onwards I think our resources are best used elsewhere.

freo1997

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
munster
AFL Club
Fremantle

Any names with that sauce?

It's probably gus, hope it's someone else like Petracca who would probably ask for 700-800 a year. But it seems like the Brayshaw bros want to play together.

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Did you actually listen to the interview?

He has said if he got back into the system his preference would be for Collingwood but wished he could play his career at Fremantle. He also made it pretty clear he knows his 2021 is going to be at South Fremantle and will need to have a good year to earn a spot on a list.
Relax lol...

Knowing he will be South Fremantle next year is not mutually exclusive with wanting to join Collingwood.

Brayshaw?

maccamk

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle

I got some reliable info yesterday that the club and Gus would like to be united at year end.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
I'm happy because I like Gus but a bit worried about price and what this means for others at our club.

He's a instant upgrade on Blakely...would we give up pick 10 for him? Is he going to offer more than say a Phillips would? And a first year draftee gives us cap space

I dunno...Maybe if Melbourne sling us a 3rd back or something to help pay for Western and Walker?

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
He's a instant upgrade on Blakely...would we give up pick 10 for him? Is he going to offer more than say a Phillips would? And a first year draftee gives us cap space

I dunno...Maybe if Melbourne sling us a 3rd back or something to help pay for Western and Walker?
Yeah but I don't think Blakely is B22 anyway. Tucker is definitely and rightly ahead.

I don't think he is worth 10 given his recent form (although I think 90% of that is just being played out of position). Would definitely want points in return.

We'll see I guess. Someone else on here has him penciled in for the Saints so bit to play out yet.

Back