freoextra

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
I think it is really great that I can look forward to our last two games (albeit that forwardline is making me crazy). Every time for the last 4-5 years Freo were just embarrasing for the last 4 plus games of the year. Not this year, despite similar injuries. Well done Justin they are playing for you.

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
He's definitely shown a real talent for strategy and a brilliant ability to communicate that strategy to the players in a way that allows players of different developmental levels to execute it.

While he's benefitting from the development already gone into the young players, he's exploiting and expanding on it beautifully by increasing their responsibility. I also like the balance his fresh perspective is striking with the grit much of the squad had instilled into them previously.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Fremantle supporters have windows left in their houses? Why would you bother replacing them?
I don't know about the rest of you, but unless I have a brick near the remote (I don't), I don't have the strength to break a window. I just yell and get judged by whomever else is in the room.

I think it is really great that I can look forward to our last two games (albeit that forwardline is making me crazy). Every time for the last 4-5 years Freo were just embarrasing for the last 4 plus games of the year. Not this year, despite similar injuries. Well done Justin they are playing for you.
We were in the eight at the end of round 15 last year.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I want to win the coaches box experience. I'll show him its ok to put your hand through the glass when somebody misses a goal from 20m out on a slight angle.
I'm pretty sure you've now been put on a list like they have at the airport except this time you 'randomly' won't be selected.

Bring back Drum

Mundy4Hundy
Jul 8, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
I want to win the coaches box experience. I'll show him its ok to put your hand through the glass when somebody misses a goal from 20m out on a slight angle.
I probably shouldn’t tell this story, but my brother was good mates with Chris Connolly & we were invited into the coaches box one game at Subiaco.
My nephew was about 6 & Chris told him he could make one move. I’ll be buggered if I can remember who it was & where too, but he made the move.

I probably shouldn’t tell this story, but my brother was good mates with Chris Connolly & we were invited into the coaches box one game at Subiaco.
My nephew was about 6 & Chris told him he could make one move. I’ll be buggered if I can remember who it was & where too, but he made the move.
Bench Scotty too hotty

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Are you sure it wasn't a Melbourne v Richmond game in 2009 and the move was to only do half the interchange rotations of a normal game whilst scattering players in weird positions? That move by Bailey, Connolly and Schwab certainly seemed like it was by instruction of a 6 year old.

Bring back Drum

Mundy4Hundy
Jul 8, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Are you sure it wasn't a Melbourne v Richmond game in 2009 and the move was to only do half the interchange rotations of a normal game whilst scattering players in weird positions? That move by Bailey, Connolly and Schwab certainly seemed like it was by instruction of a 6 year old.
No comment.
Edit; he was 9 by then.

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
I'd love to win the coach's box experience but I feel I'd be charged damage to the box from anger. Longmuir seems too nice to actually break anything.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
That's brilliant.

Sully90

Premiership Player
Dec 24, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal
Is that from the days when Schwab used to sit in the box as well? Putting way too much unnecessary pressure on the coach.

Bring back Drum

Mundy4Hundy
Jul 8, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Is that from the days when Schwab used to sit in the box as well? Putting way too much unnecessary pressure on the coach.
With Connolly they were best mates, so they had a pretty good relationship the times I was in there, it was unhealthy though as Schwab I felt didn’t have the best interests of the club because they were so close.
But I don’t think that’s news to anyone.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
“I thought I would stonewall it and didn’t think any emotions would take over me,” Longmuir told RSN.

“I’ve tried to not get emotionally involved but I feel like I coach better when I’m involved and communicating with the guys in the box and there’s good dialogue.

“Last week I definitely did ride every contest and every bump and I try and find the line with that.

“I don’t think it’s a bad thing some of the time, to show your players how much you care for them. You’re out there with them in some sense.”

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
“I thought I would stonewall it and didn’t think any emotions would take over me,” Longmuir told RSN.

“I’ve tried to not get emotionally involved but I feel like I coach better when I’m involved and communicating with the guys in the box and there’s good dialogue.

“Last week I definitely did ride every contest and every bump and I try and find the line with that.

“I don’t think it’s a bad thing some of the time, to show your players how much you care for them. You’re out there with them in some sense.”

There’s a fine line with that imo. And JL is getting it right so far.

I never liked it how Rocket Eade and Neil Balme used to go off in the box when one of their players made a mistake. It’s no surprise to me that neither were successful as head coaches.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards

Don’t think he even overdid it much like many others. He develops a good relationship with the players, he played AFL and for Fremantle, so he’s definitely invested in the club. He’s human, glad he shows some emotion. He believes in this group, plus his frustration last week against Richmond, rather then the old we battled bravely, shows he wants to win and knows this group can. It has been one of the most ridiculously trying debut season for a first year coach in modern times, alongside Nicks and Shaw. Away from family nearly 3 months, living in the same quarters as the players. The making of a successful coach, IMO. Won 6, hopefully another 2 in his first year. Puts the club, and coach in good stead for next season.

Megalon

Skills pay the bills
Jun 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

That's hilarious and somewhat unsurprising, wonder if the move was McPharlin up forward

BStaff17

Premiership Player
Aug 1, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
It really is exciting what JLo has done he really is making a strong brand and system that should lead to long term success.

I am actually finding a few similarities between JLo first year and ross first year in 2012 with onfield progess. Obivously this year has had more challenges and we have run out of time to make finals in a 22 game season we may have got there.

But you look back at 2012 it took 13 to 14 games to get confidence in the new system and then we went bang at the backend of that year winning 9 of our last 10 into a semi final defeat to Adelaide off a 6 day break.

Compared to this year started off slow took about 10 games to really build confidence in plan and structure and now we are storming home again so much so i reckon we could have won a final this year if we had gotten through with the momentum we currently have.

JLo like ross had a few nightmare games eariler in the year that geelong game in the wet was not as ugly as ross first derby in 2012 but similar where we didn't look scoring and most fans were probably unsure what the plan actually was.

But there is finally light at the end of the tunnel. Backend of 2012 was the building blocks for the most successful period so far.

With 2020 looking very similar.

I think you look at next year top 6 should be the bare minimum we have to strive for. And hopefully the opening of the premiership window.

Look forward 2-3 years time when we hit the window who will we be competing with i think we will be in a good place. Look at the current top 4-5 teams some of them may not be around then in terms of premiership chances outside of Brisbane.

Geelong will have selwood and Dangerfield a couple years older and probably wont have hawkins either.

West coast - Kennedy probably retired and shuey, yeo, nic nat & Mcgovern a few years older.

Port Adelaide- haven't proven themselves yet in consistently being a finals team.

Richmond- still may be up the top but the drive may not be there then.

Strap yourselves in the next few years will be a fun ride i reckon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back