Toast Welcome to Freo Caleb Serong– Fremantle’s 2nd 2019 National Draft Pick [Pick #8]

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Rowell has been spectactualr in his short career so far but we have our own Greg Williams in Serong, doing the work of a 200 gamer in the trenches. Give him the Rising Star 2020.
Coincidentally Diesel is in the media today telling Paddy Dow to toughen up.

Probably should have just told him to "be more like Caleb Serong"

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Although similar in size to Lachie Neale, Serong doesn't accumulate as much but he has a much more penetrating kick and always looks to get the ball forward. A lot harder than Neale, too.

nurries

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2003
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo
Although similar in size to Lachie Neale, Serong doesn't accumulate as much but he has a much more penetrating kick and always looks to get the ball forward. A lot harder than Neale, too.
Caleb averages about 17 dpg thus far in his first year, Lachie averaged about 23 dpg in his 3rd year (his first full year of games). With shortened games (and game time for him being a rookie) there is not a huge difference between the 2.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Caleb averages about 17 dpg thus far in his first year, Lachie averaged about 23 dpg in his 3rd year (his first full year of games). With shortened games (and game time for him being a rookie) there is not a huge difference between the 2.
Serong is going to be a 30+ player for sure. Dude is so often in the right spot and will no doubt add more uncontested stuff over time like Andy.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
If you look at them at the same age Serong is miles ahead of Neale. 16.4 dpg versus just 11.3 for Neale. Also way ahead in clearances with 3.3 versus 0.6 for Neale.

Serong also ahead for tackles, marks, inside 50s, contested possessions...

He's tracking amazingly well.

Paracleet

Emotion is not going to get the job done..
Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
If you look at them at the same age Serong is miles ahead of Neale. 16.4 dpg versus just 11.3 for Neale. Also way ahead in clearances with 3.3 versus 0.6 for Neale.

I reckon substitutions would have impacted Neales early numbers.

Sep 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
With respect to Neale, I don't think the comparison between them should be there anymore. I see things differently.

For his age and within his first year, Serong is one of the most natural ball winners I can recall playing at this club. He's already stamped his leadership qualities on and off the field. Serong's vision and awareness to move and make sure we keep control of the ball is unreal for his limited experience too, which is why he looks like he's already played 150 games.

I've noticed in every interview too involving him, where the intention is to be light-hearted or reflect - Serong (naturally) always opts for a serious and straight-forward approach when conducting himself. He's completely bull-s**t free and is seriously focused on success and improving.

This is why I think there is a possibility he becomes captain instead of Brayshaw. As good as he was, I never once thought Neale was worthy of being a captain to top off his playing.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2011
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Whoever is playing WC

Serong ahead on Shimmies too.

yakka man

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 27, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Had a quick look at it. Neale was sub 4 times in 2012. Serong's numbers still ahead based on the games Neale wasn't substitute for. And once you factor in shorter game times this year he's even further ahead :)

Man I'd be furious if Ross was still coach, and the sub rule was still in place, and Serong was always the sub.

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Voted on the 22under22 today.
Ripping midfield !

Attachments

• 0533565B-D2F4-4A6A-812D-C40CBB3C0163.png
    0533565B-D2F4-4A6A-812D-C40CBB3C0163.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 167
Love it but reckon Serong might be VC. I still can't believe some nuffies have Allen over Darcy in the ruck. Just wtf?
Before doing the vote I thought I understood why they were doing it, arguably trying to show horn him into the ruck as the better player and weren’t given a choice to put him forward. Then I realised you had the option to put him forward and I was disgusted people like this would determine the team

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2009
UK
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dragons FFC, Old Easts
We've absolutely nailed these crucial top 10 picks the last few years. Strap yourselves in boys. As good as Serong will be, I have a feeling Young will be better. Couple them with Cerra and Brayshaw and Sturt and Logue and we've got young A graders on every line.

I'm a little bit excited.

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
We've absolutely nailed these crucial top 10 picks the last few years. Strap yourselves in boys. As good as Serong will be, I have a feeling Young will be better. Couple them with Cerra and Brayshaw and Sturt and Logue and we've got young A graders on every line.

I'm a little bit excited.
Don’t forget Henry!

Paracleet

Emotion is not going to get the job done..
Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Had a quick look at it. Neale was sub 4 times in 2012. Serong's numbers still ahead based on the games Neale wasn't substitute for. And once you factor in shorter game times this year he's even further ahead :)
Don't get me Serong, I think Caleb is going to be a top half dozen in the comp player, which I think Neale is not; I'm not arguing out of desire to defend Lachie. I also had a look at the stats and the one thing I concluded was, even though I can't recall the details, is Neale can't have been playing inside mid in those first games in 2012, he only had 7 clearances for the year (it went up to 36 the following year from the same number of games). He must have been on the wing or something. I.E. They're not directly comparable.
Anyway irrespective of positions or whatever it's a stupid argument since Serong is going to win the rising star, whereas Neal only performed well in the sense he was a late third round pick who actually played games.

ignoramus

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
I also had a look at the stats and the one thing I concluded was, even though I can't recall the details, is Neale can't have been playing inside mid in those first games in 2012
He wasn't. He spent much of his time half-forward, like every young player during that period. Other thing to keep in mind is the differences in game plan with the current controlled possession game good for at least a couple of extra disposals per game over the 2012 game plan.

Back