Autopsy R16, 2020 Swans vs Blues

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
More seriously;

Lost it in the mids. Third quarter we basically couldn't get it in our forward half, fourth quarter we just lost our structure. Incidentally, how does a team concede so many I50's yet get beaten 2/3 on 1 up forward?

JPK looks really worrying. Reid had a couple of OK grabs but other anonymous. Sinclair was terrible, probably lost us the game.

Positivies - I really liked Melican and McCartin's games down back, Florent had his best game in months and Dawson was everywhere.
That's an awful remark about Sinkers (not to mention without basis) who is clearly banged TF up and giving every ounce of what he has for the club and his team.

That's an awful remark about Sinkers (not to mention without basis) who is clearly banged TF up and giving every ounce of what he has for the club and his team.
I mean it wasn't the only factor, but the fact that the thing about his game I can really remember was that turnover is not a great sign.

I respect Sinclair a lot. He's gotten every mileage out of his body. But that doesn't mean he's completely immune from criticism for a bad game.

Florent was such a silky operator out there. He was the "She's a Rainbow" in a sea of Their Satanic Majesties Request misfires tonight. (If you know, you know.)
Admittedly it's only one game, but I hope the people writing him off feel a bit silly after that. That was the Florent I knew from last year/early this year.

Only felt comfortable when McInerney had his mitts on it. Whatta gun he’ll be.
Hard to believe he couldn't make the first XVIII at Marcellin. He is going to be a star.

Florent was such a silky operator out there. He was the "She's a Rainbow" in a sea of Their Satanic Majesties Request misfires tonight. (If you know, you know.)

very good tonight

More than enough positive signs

Not fussed on wins and losses, I'm seeing the development and that is the key thing.

Negatives

- Too slow getting it into the corridor in the second half
- Taylor's duck, I hate it when others do it, I hate it when our players do it. Terrible look.
- Blakely's game.

Arrr

Senior List
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Sinkers looked spent and yet he was played anyway with a short turn around despite having a niggle. He shouldn't have been out there. Poor Aliir at least if Sinclair had been dropped he could've played ruck from the start and known his role. The guy just looked lost out there and who can blame him when he keeps getting moved mid game.

Looking forward to seeing what we can do next year with Rampe, Melican, McCartin as key defenders with Dawson, Mills, Lloyd coming off half back. Cunningham, Fox, Aliir, and Ling/ORiordan/Thurlow/Gould/Maibaum/Brand can fill in where necessary and allow all three players to move forward off half back.

I think after seeing Rampe go down I've been pretty pessimistic about our defense but tonight the young defenders really came to play. I think Aliir to the ruck really hurt out defensive structure, him being allowed to play that 3rd defender is his spot. He can do so much good in that role.

Going to be some really hard choices this off season about the playing list

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
That loss hurt... maybe that's a good sign

Keyter

All Australian
Dec 6, 2010
Docklands
AFL Club
Sydney
A more experienced team would have killed that game at 6 goals up, so a good learning game....lots of players with sub performances overall but as a team they hung in there...the midfield was the weak link plus the umpires gave away some crucial decisions against us in the 2nd Q which certainly seemed to arrive right on cue...McLean shows promise but as a forward he cannot walk off with 2 kicks and 1 Mark, simply not enough output. Similar Wicks but can both be excused in the name of development. Unlike other more senior players. (Bagging Kennedy is way to premature, that was a serious knee issue and it takes time to get your confidence back. He’s not done)
Regardless, the blues will reassure themselves they are the superior Team but I think it’s a bit of a false dawn. we are close behind and have the better youth overall, imo. With Heeney, Mills, Rampe, Hewett and some so far unlisted young mobile ruckman in the tim English vain to be added, the signs are good, but Obvious we need more scoring pressure.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
I have literally no idea why anyone would be surprised by that result. Most weeks we struggle to play more than one, sometimes two good quarters. Now we play off a five day break, in difficult conditions, and play full tempo attack out of the gates, and we're shocked things fell away?

But let me guess how this goes... Rowbottom is rested next game after being a spectator in this game. The Horse apologists tell the Horse bashers that actually, Horse made the right call resting him, as clearly Rowbottom needs a rest. And somewhere in a quiet suburb in Perth, a Swans fan combusts in frustration because nobody ******* listened to him when this result could've been avoided.

In short: effing arrogant to go into this game unchanged given the circumstances.

But all in all, a good effort.
To be fair, I think most agreed that Rowbottom needed a rest. Just played way too much footy for a 19 atm.

Olian

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney
Sinclair playing injured in the ruck hurt us. No where to hide him. Moving Aliir into the ruck cost our defence.

Wet weather doesn’t suit as we are young team up against a mature team in the blues with the stronger bodies.

Not getting enough from our key forwards.

Composure was a little lost in the last

I’m glad Taylor missed the shot as you don’t like to pinch the result with a poor fee kick. In saying that it would have balanced up the free kicks the Blues were blessed with (or missed) tonight.

Hate losing to Carlton. Hate losing generally but this seems the must deflating of losses this year.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
No, they didn't. Some seemed to consider the idea of a kid having a physical limit to be blasphemous.
Hahaha, I think that was the loud ones, though I might be wrong.
Might peruse the posts to see what actually happened, but it really doesn't matter.

Back